What Are The Chances?!

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
Missy

What Are The Chances?!

Post by Missy » Sun Jun 24, 2007 3:31 pm

I started my cpap therapy May 25,2006. My husband has been so supportive through the whole process. He has also been there for me when I have needed a new mask, had to tape my mouth shut, had zero sleep because of the machine or the mask, or whatever. He has been snoring for a few years, and I finally talked him into seeing the doctor. He is extremely tired all of the time, and I got him to ask for help. He had his pulse ox test done, and his saturation levels were off enough to warrant an appointment at the sleep clinic. Does anyone else here have a spouse or significant other on cpap? Man, we are really gonna have some fun NOW!! Thanks for letting me whine...

Dawn

socknitster

Post by socknitster » Sun Jun 24, 2007 3:50 pm

Missy,

My husband used to be a terrible snorer, but then lost 70 lbs and doesn't snore anymore. Last night he was sleeping on his back and had a terrible nightmare that caused him to cry out in fear in his sleep and woke me up. Needless to say it reminded me of the nightmares I had when my oxygen was getting low. REM is when most apneas occur, I guess. He also falls asleep in front of the tv almost every night, sometimes at 7 pm after putting our son to bed!

I want him to get a sleep study, but he is poopooing me right now. We'll see if I can gather more evidence that it is worth looking into.

Jen

azaloune

What chance?

Post by azaloune » Sun Jun 24, 2007 4:08 pm

I would say chances are good. My brother and his wife are both on CPAP. I am on CPAP, and my husband is waiting for his titration results so we can get his machine ordered. I have heard this happens quite a bit.

Caution! I brake for Elves, Fairies, Gnomes, Leprechauns, Unicorns, Dragons & and other invisible creatures only I can see!

Linda3032

Post by Linda3032 » Sun Jun 24, 2007 9:47 pm

There are several people on the forum that are from two hosehead households.

DeltaSeeker

Post by DeltaSeeker » Sun Jun 24, 2007 10:05 pm

I know for sure my ex-husband has apnea. I'd hold my breath at night waiting for him to start breathing again. If I didn't fall asleep before him it was darn near impossible to get any sleep myself. I even resorted to wearing ear plugs. Even when he started sleeping on the couch in the family room downstairs, his snoring could wake me up. He had a sleep study ordered about 5 years ago. Never went for it. So, we would have been a 2 hose HH if he had.

APAP since 4/12/07 still looking for the "perfect" mask. 1st ZERO AHI nite 6/7/07! 2nd 6/11
Using loaner Hybrid next 2 weeks. Fingers x'd
See http://www.urastarbooks.net for stats

JennyLouWho

2 HHH's!

Post by JennyLouWho » Sun Jun 24, 2007 10:27 pm

Hey Missy! I am sorry your hubby has OSA, but it must be pretty neat having someone so close to you that you can commiserate with (and vice versa)!

Hey socknitster! I am convinced that my hubby also has OSA, but is poopoo-ing me also! He has been diagnosed with LRS already. He had a sleep study about 6 yrs. ago and since it was negative, I cannot convince him that he needs another. Am I wrong to think that he could have developed some kind of sleep disorder even though he tested negative over 6 yrs. ago??? Keep on trying to convince you hubby to get the test he needs. I know I will. I will NAG if I have to!

Hey Linda3032! Two hosehead household! I love the terminology! I will abbreviate it to: 2HHH's! Or, 2 Triple H, or 2, H to the 3rd power, or 2 trey H's....I am sure there are many more!!!

neverbetter

Post by neverbetter » Mon Jun 25, 2007 9:32 am

It must be common for a spouse to go get tested once your on CPAP and feeling better. Once you know what the heck it is, you don't except your partner gasping and snoring anymore.

DivinMercy

Post by DivinMercy » Mon Jun 25, 2007 10:20 am

Once you know what the heck it is, you don't except your partner gasping and snoring anymore.
neverbetter-

Exactly right. I started therapy in Dec, husband started in April and our son is most likely going to be tested. I know what the gasping, sleeping half-sitting up, and snoring mean now. And just how bad it is for a person. Husband put up a fight at first, but I BEGGED him and told him I never wanted another birthday or Christmas present, just wanted him to get tested

Now, if I can just get my brother to go for a test.....

God Bless...Mary
Still on the journey.....

"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."

Bogof

Post by Bogof » Mon Jun 25, 2007 10:21 am

Like atracts like

I wonder whether OSA can be passed on via genes???

DivinMercy

Post by DivinMercy » Mon Jun 25, 2007 10:28 am

viewtopic.php?t=17803&start=0&postdays= ... highlight=

Link to a similar post of mine awhile ago.

God Bless...Mary
Still on the journey.....

"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."

SisterShotgun

Post by SisterShotgun » Mon Jun 25, 2007 10:34 am

Oh yes, my husband also should go in for a sleep study as well, but won't

He snore loudly, stops breathing, but only on his back..I was tempted to shove my mask on him last night, but I fell asleep before I could..lol

Catnapper

chances

Post by Catnapper » Mon Jun 25, 2007 10:56 am

Not exactly the answer to your question, but my two children and I are all cpappers, and members here.
Myself - Catnapper, son - t-bone, and daughter - bast. Must be some family characteristic we share.

Probably lots more people have OSA than are diagnosed. I am sure I have had it for close to 20 years without knowing it.

roster

Post by roster » Mon Jun 25, 2007 11:25 am

An associate and her husband had their sleep studies done together in the same room. Both were diagnosed with OSA and picked up their cpaps together.

tillymarigold

Post by tillymarigold » Mon Jun 25, 2007 11:48 am

Bogof wrote:I wonder whether OSA can be passed on via genes???
Not directly the way you're thinking, but insofar as people can inherit their physical build, yes it can be. If someone in your family has OSA caused by the shape of their airway, and you have the same build as that person, you may also have OSA.

mommaw

Post by mommaw » Mon Jun 25, 2007 2:00 pm

We are a 4 hose-head family! My husband & I and my daughter & her husband. Think son needs it too but won't go for a psg.

Gilda