Some days I love my mask

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
oceanpearl

Some days I love my mask

Post by oceanpearl » Mon Jun 18, 2007 8:02 am

Some days I hate it.
Wear a mask for a week, no problem, then start fighting it. Change masks, works fine for a few days, start fighting, channge to another mask, etc, etc, etc.

WHAT's UP WITH THIS???
I just want to go back to sleep!

sharon1965

Post by sharon1965 » Mon Jun 18, 2007 9:05 am

i hear ya

i don't have the answer

but i hear ya

OwlCreekObserver

Re: Some days I love my mask

Post by OwlCreekObserver » Mon Jun 18, 2007 8:59 pm

oceanpearl wrote:Some days I hate it.
Wear a mask for a week, no problem, then start fighting it. Change masks, works fine for a few days, start fighting, channge to another mask, etc, etc, etc.

WHAT's UP WITH THIS???
It does seem to work that way.

If you're not already washing your mask every day and your face every night to remove any excess oils, then give that a try.

Adjust your harness as needed. They sometimes stretch a bit and get out of adjustment.

If you have more than one mask, try swapping them out every three or four nights.

Oh yeah, and you can try my approach: Buy an endless succession of masks in search of the perfect one. Good luck with that one!

OCO

Babette

Post by Babette » Tue Jun 19, 2007 5:07 pm

Hey OP, weren't you the one that was so IN LOVE with the Cpap Pro?

Sorry, just couldn't resist digging ya' in the ribs.

I too am finding the same thing. I was PERFECT with the NAII for about a week. Now I'm futzing with it. Last night I was convinced something was going wrong, that I was congested or something, and was too tired at 1 am to go dig out the FF and fiddle with that, so I just laid back down WITHOUT ANY MASK. I think slept for about an hour. I just remember putting the mask back on at some point and sleeping fine until about 7 am.

I dunno. I think right now my anxiety disorder is kicking up its heels and playing with me, causing me to have "fiddly sleep".

Maybe you just need to rotate masks. If you get too "fiddly," then switch masks. Have them all hanging beside your bed, adjusted, ready to go.

I've been thinking about asking my dad to make me a "hat rack" with a mirror, shelf, and pegs beneath to hang my masks on, that I can mount on the wall beside my bed. Then I can just reach over and grab a new mask when I feel the need to change in the middle of the night. Instead of having to get up and grab the "big black box" on the top shelf of the closet, where I neatly stored the "not needed right now" cpap supplies...

The shelf is for my collection of nasal gels and lube creams.

The mirror is because I still need to peer at myself to see if I got everything in place right.

Good luck!!!!!!!!!!!!!
B.

I currently have a stash of Nasal Aire II cannulas in Small or Extra Small. Please PM me if you would like them. I'm interested in bartering for something strange and wonderful that I don't currently own. Or a Large size NAII cannula. :)

birdshell

Re: Some days I love my mask

Post by birdshell » Tue Jun 19, 2007 5:40 pm

OwlCreekObserver wrote:
<snip>

Oh yeah, and you can try my approach: Buy an endless succession of masks in search of the perfect one. Good luck with that one!

OCO

OCO, that approach is one shared my many Forum Folk!

Be kinder than necessary; everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle.

Click => Free Mammograms

oceanpearl

Post by oceanpearl » Tue Jun 19, 2007 5:42 pm

YOU CAN NEVER HAVE TOO MANY MASKS!!
I just want to go back to sleep!

JennyLouWho

Hate/Love Mask Relationship

Post by JennyLouWho » Tue Jun 19, 2007 9:44 pm

Hey OP! I know what you are going through! I have been on CPAP for exactly 2 mths. (or will be tomorrow). The first week was a battle of wills between me and my mask. I won! But, after a few nights of struggling, I made up my mind that my health was more important than the expected adjustment period battles. While everyone here tells me my machine is essentially a piece of crap (no info. can be obtained) I know that masks are very subjective. What works for one, may not be the answer for another. While I do not LOVE my mask...neither do I hate it. My main fear is that if I get another, I will absolutely HATE it. But, I am going to do like most here suggest....buy up different masks so I can have back-ups if needed. This will be a slow accumulation because my insurance only allows me to get new masks every 6 mths. and I will have to pay out of pocket for them. Money WELL spent I think. I have had a sinus infection for the past 3 nights which stops my nose up alot so, I have had to abandon the masks until the infection clears up. And can I tell you....I actually MISSED the hose!!! I cannot believe it! I didn't think the therapy was working that well, but apparently, it is. Even though the only difference I actually notice is no more severe night sweats and very few morning headaches.I still only get about 4 hours of sleep per night, but I am thinking that I may be a mouth breather so may have to go to taping my mouth. But, who knows if this is the cause since MY CRAPPY MACHINE CAN'T RECORD MUCH NEEDED DATA!! Anyway, this was alot of words to tell ya (my apologies for the long post) I feel ya! Keep on keeping on.