Ear Tubes and CPAP

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
Wistful

Ear Tubes and CPAP

Post by Wistful » Sat Jan 17, 2009 8:51 am

Hi,
I haven't been here for a while....
Anyhow, I have been unable to use my CPAP for way too long because of ear pain that starts within minutes of putting on my mask. It began with a suspected inner ear infection last spring. I have recently seen the ENT who had my ears tested. Turns out that the hearing in the painful ear is 12 points lower then the other and that there is negative pressure in there. Anyhow, the ENT wants to get me back on the CPAP and suggested that I try blocking the left nostril to prevent high pressure air from shooting into my eustachian tube and see what happens.
That made me wonder if it was worth trying to find a full face mask again that won't leak. Argh.
FYI, it was a long journey for me to find a mask that wouldn't leak and a dream come true when I found the Swift.
He also said putting an ear tube in that ear could be the answer. I didn't think that you could have an ear tube with CPAP but he smiled and said that the tube was too small to allow enough air out to change the pressure and that no it wouldn't make the tube pop out. I am going to call my respirologist Monday and was wondering if anyone here has an Ear tube and uses CPAP.
Thanks!
Wistful
Pressure 7-9 C-Flex 3 AHI 1.6
Mirage Swift
Marine Mask Seal so my mask doesn't leak
Polygrip Strips so my mouth doesn't leak
Di-Oval for aerophagia
Eye drops for air coming out my tear ducts
Pur-Sleep so I can fall asleep despite all of the above.

jnk

Re: Ear Tubes and CPAP

Post by jnk » Sat Jan 17, 2009 9:53 am

A related post made by an MD in another forum, along with the link he gives, has some interesting info:

http://www.apneasupport.org/viewtopic.p ... ube#128917