Can *any* data be retrieved from an F&P HC233?

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
millerke

Can *any* data be retrieved from an F&P HC233?

Post by millerke » Mon Apr 16, 2007 8:07 am

Hi,

My treatment's less than a week old, and I *think* I'm getting the hang of things, but I've woken up a few times with what I believe are "Mouth Leaks" but don't know if it's affecting things. I got to thinking it sure would be nice to get some information out of this machine (like AHI, Num Leaks, etc) like I'm seeing from other postings, but I see from cpap.com that there are only three vendors that provide software for their machines exclusively and mine's not one of them.

Yet, I've got what looks like a data port coming out of this thing... I'm thinking there might be something useful coming out of there, and I know my way around computers and programming.

Anyone have any details on the F&P 200 series? Or has someone been down this road and found it a lost cause?

Sure seems like the DME's are set on turning this treatment over to us with very little information to work from.

Thanks & Regards,

== ken ==

bdp522

Post by bdp522 » Mon Apr 16, 2007 8:29 am

Since you use a nasal mask mouth breathing is a no-no. You lose all the pressure out your mouth when you mouth breathe. Try taping your mouth shut or try a full face mask.
I don't know about data with yor machine. But I do know that alot of MDs and DMEs just dole out the equipment with no explanations. Be very glad you found thid forum! You can ask all the questions you want and someone will always answer!

Brenda

Handgunner45

Post by Handgunner45 » Mon Apr 16, 2007 8:56 am

Doesn't look like that model will record anything. The "data port" you refer to is probably the connection used to allow a sleep tech monitor and adjust the machine during an overnight titration. I would guess that someone with the right programming knowledge could figure out how to record to a computer from that port, but you would have to have the computer hooked up to it the whole time you wanted to record. No internal memory on your particular machine.

"Remember, I'm pulling for you. We're all in this together." --Red Green

http://www.keepsakeacres.com

Slinky

Post by Slinky » Mon Apr 16, 2007 8:59 am

cpap.com has the F&P HC 234 for sale, but not the HC233. The 234 does not have a data card or optional software. cpap.com's description of the 234 states "The HC234 is newest model following the HC221LE Series CPAP system from Fisher & Paykel." so my guess is that your 233 is not data capable either.

Have you tried the Fisher & Paykel website for information on your 233? In a quick search there I only found them offering Compliance Monitoring Software to providers:

http://www.fphcare.com/osa/osasupport.asp

But check it out. There is a software update to download (Oct 2004) but the site says that "Updating the Software to the latest revision requires an original Compliance Maximizer CD to have been installed". It shows printouts from the software.

However, before you lose all hope. There is mention of the 233 having Titration Managing Software.

http://www.fphcare.com/osa/cpapi.asp

The description is: "Software that allows sleep technicians to titrate remotely via a PC in their labs.

Benefits:
Titration is made more convenient for lab technicians as all patient data can be observed on the same PC screen during titration."

So I would imagine it is pretty pricey even if you could get your hands on it and not at all what you would want or need at home to monitor your therapy.

My computer says I need to upgrade my brain to be compatible with its new software.

millerke

3M Healthcare Waterproof tape worked!

Post by millerke » Wed Apr 18, 2007 7:05 am

bdp522 wrote:Since you use a nasal mask mouth breathing is a no-no. You lose all the pressure out your mouth when you mouth breathe. Try taping your mouth shut or try a full face mask.
Brenda
Thanks for the advice, Brenda! I purposely avoided full face mask (just didn't think I could deal with it...claustrophobia, leaks especially with facial hair), but on your suggestion, I found "3M HealthCare 1" Waterproof tape for ~$4 at our local drugstore. After applying it, I made sure I could remove quickly (ouch!), and, with not too much effort pop the seal. No issues, so I slept with it sealed.

Voila! The only time I broke the seal was when I actually dreamed it was morning and I was getting up...that's when I popped the seal by opening my mouth and that *really* woke me up. I was quickly able to close my mouth and run my finger across the seal again (which held). No leaks, no dry mouth!

Sure beats the $400 Mouth Guards I was considering Thanks much for the idea.
bdp522 wrote:Be very glad you found thid forum! You can ask all the questions you want and someone will always answer!
Brenda
Indeed, I am most grateful! Makes me kind of proud to be associated with such a welcoming and helpful community. Feels good to be a "hosehead", particularly after a good night's sleep.

And thanks to Slinky and the rest who offered advice on the data port. I happen to have the PC within 6 feet of the machine, so it might be worth pursuing. Going to get some basic experience first. Maybe in a couple weeks.

Thanks & Regards,

== ken ==

CPAPopedia Keywords Contained In This Post (Click For Definition): seal

GoofyUT

Data on F&Ps

Post by GoofyUT » Wed Apr 18, 2007 7:23 am

I started my xPAP adventure with an F&P HC608 CPAP. I found it to be a very solidly built, very quiet and well-designed machine. I was especially impressed with its integrated, chip-controlled humidifier and HEATED hose.

However, alas, no F&P offers useful efficacy or leak data collection or reporting; only compliance data. There is NO software available to gather efficacy data, and none of the internal componentry that will allow efficacy data collection of any sort.

F&P is, in mnay ways, such a cutting edge company in the world of xPAP (and of consumer products like refrigerators, too). So, many of us wind up scratching our heads when we try to understand why they are SO far behind the times in terms of designing data-capabilities into their machines, or in terms of offering an auto-titrating version. There is talk that newer versions that are data capable or auto-titrating in the pipe-line, but none have emerged yet. Go figure.

So, you can fiddle with your HC233, a fine CPAP, but it just ain't gonna give you anything more than hours of usage and a checksum.

Sorry.

Chuck

People are dying every day in Darfur simply for who they are!!! PLEASE HELP THEM!
http://www.savedarfur.org

bgalb

F&P 200/600 Software and Serial Adapter

Post by bgalb » Wed Apr 18, 2007 11:22 am

The following is available for sale on the web:

SleepStyle 200/600 Compliance Maximizer Software
Manufacturer: Fisher & Paykel
Product Code: 900HC230
Cost: $112.86

SleepStyle 200/600 Titration Maximizer Software
Product Code: 900HC607
Cost: $150.00

SleepStyle 200/600 Compliance Download Serial Cable
Product Code: 900HC232
Cost: $30.00

These all are supposed to work with all 200/600 model F&P machines.
I could not find a detailed description of what information the software displayed, or if it was recorded in a database on the connedted PC. Also couldn't find a description of the differences between the Compliance and the Titration software.

From other descriptions it does appear that all data must be recorded on a PC in real time, so your PC would be running all night if you wanted to record any data.

The CPAP/PC interface is a serial cable.

allend

Re: Data on F&Ps

Post by allend » Wed Apr 18, 2007 12:14 pm

GoofyUT wrote:F&P is, in mnay ways, such a cutting edge company in the world of xPAP (and of consumer products like refrigerators, too). So, many of us wind up scratching our heads when we try to understand why they are SO far behind the times in terms of designing data-capabilities into their machines, or in terms of offering an auto-titrating version. There is talk that newer versions that are data capable or auto-titrating in the pipe-line, but none have emerged yet. Go figure.

Chuck
Chuck,

I was just checking on NZE:FPH, which is the ticker symbol for Fisher & Paykell Healthcare. Many Drs. like their xpaps because of the attached heated hose. According to reports, the company's earnings are suffering from it's loss of value to the dollar, a bad ruling from the FDA for neonatal equipment and I wonder if the fact that there is no decent reporting capability is hurting their sales. I am looking for the purpose of buying some stock to take advantage of the boom in Apnea therapy, which will most probably increase a great deal over the next 20 years.

Then if not FPH, which one Resmed (RMD) or Respironics (RESP). I'd say Respironics, as their price earning ratio is much lower than Resmed's and Resmed seems to be losing lots of market share because of their prices. I haven't really looked that deeply into yet but I am going to start soon. Unless all of America loses lots of weight and unless a pill is developed to cure Apnea, RMD and RESP should d very well in the future.

Allen

drubin007

Re: F&P 200/600 Software and Serial Adapter

Post by drubin007 » Tue Jul 28, 2009 12:56 pm

bgalb wrote:The following is available for sale on the web:

SleepStyle 200/600 Compliance Maximizer Software
Product Code: 900HC230
Cost: $112.86

SleepStyle 200/600 Titration Maximizer Software
Product Code: 900HC607
Cost: $150.00

SleepStyle 200/600 Compliance Download Serial Cable
Product Code: 900HC232
Cost: $30.00

These all are supposed to work with all 200/600 model F&P machines.
I could not find a detailed description of what information the software displayed, or if it was recorded in a database on the connedted PC. Also couldn't find a description of the differences between the Compliance and the Titration software.

From other descriptions it does appear that all data must be recorded on a PC in real time, so your PC would be running all night if you wanted to record any data.

The CPAP/PC interface is a serial cable.
that software seems expensive!!! I saw it in austraulia when I googled it yesterday and it was about a third or less of that.. Granted, I do not know the conversion rate or what shipping would be, however that seems a little pricey.

Is there anyone here that has the software and can post up screen shots of what it displays?

This is of interest to me as I seem to have the "new kid on the block" now, the HC254 (auto series, sleep stype 200). features look pretty good (ambient tracking plus, sensawake) but from what I can tell (so far) the only things it will display are leak and ahi...(I want more)

jdm2857

Re: Can *any* data be retrieved from an F&P HC233?

Post by jdm2857 » Tue Jul 28, 2009 1:16 pm

The Compliance Maximizer reports compliance data only. Titration Maximizer allows the xPAP to be remotely monitored and adjusted for titrations, so that the tech does not have to enter the patient's room to make adjustments. There are links to both here: http://www.fphcare.com/osa/cpaps.asp

There is also Preformance Maximizer software. I think that's what you want. You can find a link to it here: http://www.fphcare.com/osa/cpapauto.asp

F&P needs to redesign their site.
jeff

drubin007

Post by drubin007 » Tue Jul 28, 2009 1:21 pm

jdm2857 wrote:The Compliance Maximizer reports compliance data only. Titration Maximizer allows the xPAP to be remotely monitored and adjusted for titrations, so that the tech does not have to enter the patient's room to make adjustments. There are links to both here: http://www.fphcare.com/osa/cpaps.asp

There is also Preformance Maximizer software. I think that's what you want. You can find a link to it here: http://www.fphcare.com/osa/cpapauto.asp

F&P needs to redesign their site.
Yea, you are right... It is the performance maximizer software that I want... There is no pricing on that site though... My only searching so far brought me to austraulian sites... I am waiting for my dme to see if his vendor will sell me the software and what the cost will be. (If it is worth it)

jdm2857

Post by jdm2857 » Tue Jul 28, 2009 1:22 pm

Members have been ordering ResScan from http://www.cpapaustralia.com. Bet you could get the F&P software there, too.
jeff

drubin007

Post by drubin007 » Tue Jul 28, 2009 1:28 pm

I will look further into it over the next few days...thanks! Will wait to see if my DME can get it for me.

Also would like to see some screenshots of what it displays....

When my dme gave me the machine today he did a printout that showed whats on the machine, but it is brand new and gave 2 pages of nothing since it has not been used yet.

drj130

Post by drj130 » Tue Jul 28, 2009 1:30 pm

From my research on the HC608, the only data that you can get from the Fisher & Paykel machines is usages only. I was told by my DME that it was the top of the line, but the only data it could give is what I've mentioned already. That is why I had them change what they are giving to me to a Remstar Pro.

I believe that the other data they are talking about seeing during a titration is the other data that is collected from all of the other things that are plugged into you during a sleep study.

Though I could be wrong on this.

David

Look twice, save a life. You never know when you might see a motorcyclist.

jdm2857

Post by jdm2857 » Tue Jul 28, 2009 1:33 pm

The F&P HC244 CPAP and 254 APAP have efficacy data available through the Performance Maximizer software.

David -- I'm very glad to hear that you were able to switch to a machine with efficacy data. That is way more important than brand.
jeff