Hard to exhale...then easy

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
millerke

Hard to exhale...then easy

Post by millerke » Fri Apr 13, 2007 10:12 am

Hi,

I'm brand new at this. Just finished my second night. I've an F&P HCA233 set to 10cm and a Breeze Nasal Pillows. I was told my AHI is 53, so I'm taking this VERY seriously.

I found for the second straight night that when I start off (e.g. 11pm-2am), exhaling seems very difficult...Like, I'm trying to blow through a straw. Then, by 5am or wake-up (at 6am), I find it's quite comfortable, yet I also note my breathing seems much more shallow and I'm not expending much energy at all breathing out. Indeed, it seems so low, that I have to wonder whether I'm adequately expelling the CO2 and not instead re-breathing the same "air". I can't help but wonder if that's why I woke up

Has anyone else experienced this? Is it just that I'm trying to "breathe" too hard, but have settled into a nice rhythm by morning?

Just a bit nervous about all this...

Thanks in advance!

Regards,

== ken ==

SleepingBeauty

Post by SleepingBeauty » Fri Apr 13, 2007 10:21 am

I experienced the same thing. It felt so awkward when I first put it on, and I struggled to breathe. By morning, it was like there was nothing there. I could inhale and exhale effortlessly. I would often feel for the exhaust to make sure the machine was still running. I guess we adapt to it in our sleep.

TerryB

Post by TerryB » Fri Apr 13, 2007 11:12 am

You might notice when you take the mask off that it is difficult to take the first couple of breaths in after the pressure is back to only air pressure. We seem to be able to get used to some strange things. After over a year now, I still notice the start up for a few minutes but seldom the shutdown change.

TerryB