Battery life help

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
CapnLoki

Re: Battery life help

Post by CapnLoki » Mon Jul 29, 2013 11:07 am

Fizzled wrote:Not on motorcycle systems. On car systems you're absolutely right, they can vary the alternators output. This results in less parasitic losses and inefficiencies.

MC alternator output is a direct function of RPM. Alternators produce 100% of their ability at a given RPM then waste the excess. The R/R runs cooler when you draw more power for this reason. ...
Oh My!! I stand corrected. I had assumed that with all the gadgetry added to bikes in the last 20 years they had moved to field based alternators. Larger outboards have converted so they can charge batteries at reasonable RPM and not worry about dumping heat at high revs. It must be difficult trying to balance all of the requirements.

Additional Comments: Pressure 9-20, average ~9.5; often use battery power while off-grid
Hark, how hard he fetches breath . . .  Act II, Scene IV, King Henry IV Part I, William Shakespeare
Choosing a Battery thread: http://www.cpaptalk.com/viewtopic/t1140 ... ttery.html

drj130

Post by drj130 » Mon Jul 29, 2013 11:10 am

It is all about space and balance. One of the reasons we're glad that L.E.Ds exist now. More light for less cost.

Look twice, save a life. You never know when you might see a motorcyclist.

Fizzled

Post by Fizzled » Mon Jul 29, 2013 1:48 pm

CapnLoki wrote:
Fizzled wrote:Not on motorcycle systems. On car systems you're absolutely right, they can vary the alternators output. This results in less parasitic losses and inefficiencies.

MC alternator output is a direct function of RPM. Alternators produce 100% of their ability at a given RPM then waste the excess. The R/R runs cooler when you draw more power for this reason. ...
Oh My!! I stand corrected. I had assumed that with all the gadgetry added to bikes in the last 20 years they had moved to field based alternators. Larger outboards have converted so they can charge batteries at reasonable RPM and not worry about dumping heat at high revs. It must be difficult trying to balance all of the requirements.
Yeah, alternators on bikes are an internal engine component vs something externally mounted.

The primary concerns are cheap, reliable and compact. If you think about it it makes sense, Motorcycles are less expected to accomodate a wide range of potential current draw, if you size the stator to the application you don't need to be concerned too much with lossy power systems. Vs a car that will have huge swings in power from a low consumption state to stero systems, dome lights, abs, traction control, 3rd brake lights, fog lights, heated seats, ac/heater fans, etc.

In the US you can't even turn headlights off with a switch; manufacturers know the very narrow range of stock consumption between max and min. This causes issues with people that want to accessorize with heated apparel and whatnot but can be worked around.

idamtnboy

Post by idamtnboy » Mon Jul 29, 2013 9:55 pm

Fizzled wrote:Not on motorcycle systems. On car systems you're absolutely right, they can vary the alternators output.
As they say, "For every rule there is an exception!"

From the spec section of the service manual for my Honda Goldwing GL1800.
Charging system-Triple phase output alternator
Regulator/rectifier-Triple phase full-wave rectification with field coil
That, and the wiring diagram, sure does look like an automotive alternator to me. The alternator is mounted external to the engine.

drj130

Post by drj130 » Mon Jul 29, 2013 9:59 pm

And with that would depend on the bike as well.
If I remember right, and I'm sure I do, Goldwings basically have a V6 in them. Then of course you also have the Boss Hoss which has a V8.
My little lady is just a normal bike.... with a few mods

idamtnboy

Post by idamtnboy » Mon Jul 29, 2013 11:45 pm

drj130 wrote:My little lady is just a normal bike.... with a few mods
My 'wing is just a normal bike also, it still has only two wheels!! [In case that comment is lost on anyone a lot of Goldwings are being triked nowadays.]

I made a 4900 mile trip on it from Idaho to Michigan to Iowa and back last month. What a wonderful 21 days!

You know why the exhaust sound of a Harley is such a good thing? It enables a blind rider to follow behind on a Goldwing!

drj130

Post by drj130 » Tue Jul 30, 2013 12:19 am

idamtnboy wrote:
drj130 wrote:My little lady is just a normal bike.... with a few mods
My 'wing is just a normal bike also, it still has only two wheels!! [In case that comment is lost on anyone a lot of Goldwings are being triked nowadays.]

I made a 4900 mile trip on it from Idaho to Michigan to Iowa and back last month. What a wonderful 21 days!

You know why the exhaust sound of a Harley is such a good thing? It enables a blind rider to follow behind on a Goldwing!
Sounds like you had a great ride. Things a bit are a bit easier on you cause you have all that extra storage space. You know, here is an idea for you. Seeing as how you have that extra space, why not setup a system to where if you go camping or such, one of the boxes has one of those deep cycle batteries in it and plug it into the charging system. Or something like that. Unless you have a trailer, then it doesn't really matter too much. lol

Fizzled

Post by Fizzled » Tue Jul 30, 2013 12:29 am

idamtnboy wrote:
Fizzled wrote:Not on motorcycle systems. On car systems you're absolutely right, they can vary the alternators output.
As they say, "For every rule there is an exception!"

From the spec section of the service manual for my Honda Goldwing GL1800.
Charging Triple phase output alternator
Regulator/rectifier-Triple phase full-wave rectification with field coil
That, and the wiring diagram, sure does look like an automotive alternator to me. The alternator is mounted external to the engine.

A 'wing being a motorcycle is debatable. A couch with wheels and front mounted riot shield is more like it.

drj130

Post by drj130 » Tue Jul 30, 2013 2:55 am

Yes, you're right there... Don't forget about the heated seats DVD player and airbags.

khauser

Post by khauser » Tue Jul 30, 2013 5:36 am

drj130 wrote:Yes, you're right there... Don't forget about the heated seats DVD player and airbags.
I assumed that was a joke. Until I went to Honda's page on it. OMG!

idamtnboy

Post by idamtnboy » Tue Jul 30, 2013 8:16 am

Fizzled wrote:A 'wing being a motorcycle is debatable. A couch with wheels and front mounted riot shield is more like it.
A few years ago a guy tried to tell me it was a crotch rocket. I told him no way, but I would concede to calling it a couch rocket - an easy chair on two wheels! I don't have the air bag, CD player, or heated grips & seat, but they are available. I do have an iPod Nano w/ remote control for music, and a modulated headlight to help inattentive car drivers see me. Great way to travel, even for a 69 year old fart!

I have a trailer also. Made it myself last year. If I can come up with a tent setup that can be set up and taken down in 5 minutes I would consider camping while traveling. In that case I would carry a deep cycle battery in the trailer. I could tap into or modify the trailer wiring to connect the battery and charge it up while riding. My trip last month was hotel/motel based.

drj130

Post by drj130 » Tue Jul 30, 2013 9:35 am

khauser wrote:
drj130 wrote:Yes, you're right there... Don't forget about the heated seats DVD player and airbags.
I assumed that was a joke. Until I went to Honda's page on it. OMG!
Yeah, the things they put on this thing is crazy. The newer models even have built in GPS and XM radios as well.

idamtnboy, that is a great looking setup there. Great color as well.

As I tell many people who ride, take care and enjoy the ride.