Have you had a COVID-19 Vaccine or have an appt?

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
tisket

Re: Have you had a COVID-19 Vaccine or have an appt?

Post by tisket » Mon Mar 08, 2021 8:01 pm

Got the first Moderna shot about 10 days ago. Didn't even feel the needle, which was strange.

Bad headache and sore arm (REALLY sore, like "wake me up every time I roll over" sore) that night and the next day, tired and somewhat queasy for two days.

In the following week I got diarrhea and frequent nausea. It seems hard to believe this was from the first shot of the vaccine - didn't really start until after the first 72 hours. Figured I might have got covid somewhere since GI symptoms are common so I got rapid tested and a physical exam by a PA. Nope, no covid as far as she could tell. Was on a bland diet for a week to settle things down. Finally starting to eat normal food again last night.

Now someone else at work is out with a stomach bug so I think one is going around. This person had covid in January so it seems highly unlikely to be covid again. Hand sanitizer does not kill rotavirus nor norovirus apparently (the two most common stomach viruses) so I think I probably got it at the hospital while there for the shot, from using their pens/handling papers/doorknobs etc. Of course I used hand sanitizer but apparently to no avail.

Been a long year, when every time there is some pollen and one coughs, or every time one gets some stomach upset, or whatever, one thinks one has covid. And the pollen has been brutal for months here.

Have been abstaining from alcohol, painkillers/nsaids, CBD etc for a week before the shot and ongoing. Trying to give my immune system all the help it can get.
---------------------------------------------------
ResMed Airsense 10 Autoset, Aloha nasal pillow mask using HoseBuddy for overhead hose management, Nexcare paper tape for mouth

bwexler

Post by bwexler » Mon Mar 08, 2021 9:03 pm

For those knocking Vitamin D, The real issue is determining the proper amount to take.
There is a blood test 25 Hydroxy Vitamin D. The government has determined that if you test below 20,
you may get rickets. If you test above 30 you will be fine. Having listened to many MDs and PHDs, some of whom I know
personally, as you raise your level on the test you improve your defenses against more and more issues.
I maintain my level between 75 and 85. I take over 18,000 IU per day. That along with many other preventive measures
make me feel safe. I will have to check in with you all in 10 years to verify my approach has worked.

Thinking that the government recommended 400 IU will protect you, is like expecting a fly to protect you from an oncoming Mack Truck.

tisket

Post by tisket » Mon Mar 08, 2021 9:12 pm

One interesting thing about vitamin D is that the oral form, typically D3, takes a week to get metabolized into calcitriol, the active form. (Calcitriol is prescription only and typically given intravenously in the hospital.) It's not something you can just start when you feel symptoms. It acts as a hormone and should be taken all the time so it has already been metabolized long before you first get infected.

These vitamin D studies with covid saying no benefit, are one gigantic oral dose of D3 once already hospitalized. Makes no sense to me. I emailed a virology expert with a question about this since he mentioned one of these studies in his virology podcast. Waiting to hear back.
ResMed Airsense 10 Autoset, Aloha nasal pillow mask using HoseBuddy for overhead hose management, Nexcare paper tape for mouth

ChicagoGranny

Post by ChicagoGranny » Tue Mar 09, 2021 7:36 am

tisket wrote:
Mon Mar 08, 2021 9:12 pm
These vitamin D studies with covid saying no benefit, are one gigantic oral dose of D3 once already hospitalized. Makes no sense to me.
It's unclear what you mean by "makes no sense". Of course, it makes sense to study whether large doses of D3 help hospitalized patients. If the data says such doses don't help, then quit wasting resources giving these doses.
tisket wrote:
I emailed a virology expert with a question about this since he mentioned one of these studies in his virology podcast
Vincent Racaniello?

tisket

Post by tisket » Tue Mar 09, 2021 8:12 am

ChicagoGranny wrote:
Tue Mar 09, 2021 7:36 am
tisket wrote:
These vitamin D studies with covid saying no benefit, are one gigantic oral dose of D3 once already hospitalized. Makes no sense to me.
It's unclear what you mean by "makes no sense". Of course, it makes sense to study whether large doses of D3 help hospitalized patients. If the data says such doses don't help, then quit wasting resources giving these doses.
I mean, if you have one form that takes a week to work, and another form that works immediately, why would you give a patient the one that takes a week to work?
tisket wrote:
I emailed a virology expert with a question about this since he mentioned one of these studies in his virology podcast
Vincent Racaniello?
Dr Griffin was the one whose address was given as the one to ask questions, but yes from that podcast, thanks for posting that. Good info on there.

I also asked him how the Janssen vaccine can provide 85% protection from severe disease and 100% from hospitalization, when severe disease is usually defined as "requiring hospitalization."

Frequentflyermom

Post by Frequentflyermom » Tue Mar 09, 2021 9:58 am

Had both doses of Pfizer...did have a rough day after the second dose but I was happy because I knew it was working :)

Dog Slobber

Post by Dog Slobber » Tue Mar 09, 2021 10:47 am

tisket wrote:
Tue Mar 09, 2021 8:12 am

I also asked him how the Janssen vaccine can provide 85% protection from severe disease and 100% from hospitalization, when severe disease is usually defined as "requiring hospitalization."
Because it's you who has decided that a disease severity classification of severe usually means "requiring hospitalization".

tisket

Post by tisket » Tue Mar 09, 2021 11:18 am

Dog Slobber wrote:
Tue Mar 09, 2021 10:47 am
tisket wrote:

Because it's you who has decided that a disease severity classification of severe usually means "requiring hospitalization".
Why the snark?

"In the study, the definition of severe COVID-19 disease included laboratory-confirmed SARS-CoV-2 and one or more of the following: signs consistent with severe systemic illness, admission to an intensive care unit, respiratory failure, shock, organ failure or death, among other factors. "

Do these sound like "treat at home" conditions to you? Whatever. I look forward to the virologist's answer.

Dog Slobber

Post by Dog Slobber » Tue Mar 09, 2021 11:50 am

tisket wrote:
Tue Mar 09, 2021 11:18 am
Dog Slobber wrote:
Tue Mar 09, 2021 10:47 am
tisket wrote:

Why the snark?
Because a classification of "Severe" does not "usually" mean "requiring hospitalization". A simple list of symptoms is almost useless without further qualification, such as how long the symptoms persist and how severe they are.

ChicagoGranny

Post by ChicagoGranny » Tue Mar 09, 2021 1:53 pm

tisket wrote:
Tue Mar 09, 2021 11:18 am
Do these sound like "treat at home" conditions to you? Whatever. I look forward to the virologist's answer.
Many people have died at home without ever making it to the hospital. This would be classified as a severe case but not hospitalized.

Arlene1963

Post by Arlene1963 » Wed Mar 10, 2021 6:16 am

Here in Ottawa people over 90 living in the community are now able to sign up for their first vaccination later this week. Very good news for our vulnerable elders.

Also, the second dose has been delayed to 4 months so we can get more people vaccinated with the very limited number of vaccines currently available.

Not sure when I will get my first jab, my age group and priority category being quite low, 57 with no significant co morbidities. Also certain neighbourhoods have priority due to much higher cases of Covid19, and our neighbourhood is low on that list as well, fortunately.

I am so pleased many here have reported their progress, I can't wait to get fully vaccinated and it is heartening to see how well this is going.

We are so fortunate to have these vaccines to beat back this virus!

babydinosnoreless

Post by babydinosnoreless » Thu Mar 11, 2021 2:15 am

They have lowered the age to 55 in my state and are now classifying me as an essential worker. They are going to be at my work tomorrow with the J&J single dose. I did not sign up for it but have a feeling they will be pushing it on those of us who didn't sign up. They are already talking about adding Friday too. Anyone know if the j & j vaccine is any safer for those of us who have severe allergic responses to things ?

CaptainRaven40

Post by CaptainRaven40 » Thu Mar 11, 2021 6:42 am

I had my first Pfizer shot last Thursday. I felt fine all day and that evening after sitting down for half an hour I had sore arm. It was nothing bad at all. The soreness lasted until the next day then went away. That is the only "side effect" I had from the first shot. I am 35 and am an essential state worker for North Carolina. I have been blessed to have been able to continue working full time through this whole pandemic. So I was happy to get my first shot and will be happy to get the second one. Hope everyone stays well and does well when you get your shot/shots!

raisedfist

Post by raisedfist » Thu Mar 11, 2021 9:21 am

I received both Moderna shots, and they are now in clinical trials testing a "booster shot" for the variant in South Africa. I am really not looking forward to getting further shots as I've had annoying reactions to both shots, especially the second one, but maybe it will be better now given that my body should be more intelligent from the introduction of antibodies.

PS Min 6, PS Max 18, EPAP Min 4, EPAP Max 12

khauser

Post by khauser » Thu Mar 11, 2021 12:12 pm

babydinosnoreless wrote:
Thu Mar 11, 2021 2:15 am
They have lowered the age to 55 in my state and are now classifying me as an essential worker. They are going to be at my work tomorrow with the J&J single dose. I did not sign up for it but have a feeling they will be pushing it on those of us who didn't sign up. They are already talking about adding Friday too. Anyone know if the j & j vaccine is any safer for those of us who have severe allergic responses to things ?
Have a look at https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-nc ... nssen.html

In general, yes there is still a danger, but it all depends on what you reacted to.