Mouth Puffing

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
Jtg073

Mouth Puffing

Post by Jtg073 » Wed May 15, 2024 3:30 pm

I wear mouth tape, and I constantly wake up because the air pushes my tongue forward and fills my cheeks full of air. I don’t want the pressure so low that it isn’t addressing my apneas, but even when I set the pressure lower the mouth puffing wakes me up. It happens as soon as I start to drift off to sleep. I’ve tried chinstraps and cervical collars, holding a smaller pillow against my chin, and if still happens. I’ve seen other people suggest suctioning their tongue to the roof of their mouth, but I have to wear a retainer at night and that makes that difficult.

Any other suggestions?

vandownbytheriver

Re: Mouth Puffing

Post by vandownbytheriver » Wed May 15, 2024 9:36 pm

I know pillows users love their pillows... but this problem responds best to a full-face mask I've found. The more of your cheeks you can cover the less they will puff, since the pressure outside equals the pressure inside for whatever the mask covers.

I recently tried the Somnoseal mouth condom, with a RM N20 nasal mask... it didn't work, as soon as the cheek puff happened it fell away inside my mouth and leaked. Back to the Vitera it was for me.

I'm wondering if some huge mask could be made that surrounded your cheeks and kept them pushed in... that old Quattro mask looks huge, maybe it would help? I've found that side-sleeping with one cheek pushed into the pillow can help, maybe we just need a mask with paddles on it like horse blinders. One can wish.