What's new in bipeds?

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
tobindia

What's new in bipeds?

Post by tobindia » Thu Jul 19, 2018 2:47 pm

My wife and I both have Phillips Respironics bipaps. I’ve had mine for 7-8 years. My wife a bit less. We travel a lot, and we are finding our bipaps to be more and more cumbersome. With the humidifier attachment, they’re each about the size of a shoebox, necessitating a carry-on suitcase just for them. So, I thought I’d see whether there’s anything new out there that may be a bit smaller.

Also, does anyone know about the Medicare aspect of this? I seem to recall that Medicare would pay again after 5 (?) years. Is that correct?

SewTired

Re: What's new in bipeds?

Post by SewTired » Thu Jul 19, 2018 7:51 pm

Yes, Medicare will pay for another machine after 5 years BUT with the new rules, it may not be so easy to get it. Depends on what your DME provider does. Medicare says they will no longer replace machines unless they are worn out or broken. For my DME provider that means that your machine must have at least 15,000 hours or have a repair that costs too much to fix OR machine is over 5 years old and requires repair (Medicare pays for repair until machine is 5 years old regardless of hours).

So far, I don't know anybody who has been able to get Medicare to pay for anything but a regular machine. If you can tolerate operating the machine without humidity, the 560 series and Dream separate so that you can leave the humidifier behind for travel. That's about all I know about the bipaps. My brother has one, but I only have to haul it a short ways, not through an airport, for instance.

Airsense For Her; Settings: range 8-12, Airfit P10 (M)

palerider

Post by palerider » Thu Jul 19, 2018 8:05 pm

tobindia wrote:
Thu Jul 19, 2018 2:47 pm
My wife and I both have Phillips Respironics bipaps. I’ve had mine for 7-8 years. My wife a bit less. We travel a lot, and we are finding our bipaps to be more and more cumbersome. With the humidifier attachment, they’re each about the size of a shoebox, necessitating a carry-on suitcase just for them. So, I thought I’d see whether there’s anything new out there that may be a bit smaller.

Also, does anyone know about the Medicare aspect of this? I seem to recall that Medicare would pay again after 5 (?) years. Is that correct?
Most bipeds are the same as they've been for sometime.

bilevel cpaps however, have gotten smaller and quieter, but that's about all in the last 8 years.

Accounts to put on the foe list: dataq1, clownbell, gearchange, lynninnj, mper!?, DreamDiver, Geer1, almostadoctor, sleepgeek, ajack, stom, mogy, D.H., They often post misleading, timewasting stuff.

Goofproof

Post by Goofproof » Thu Jul 19, 2018 8:22 pm

Most are still walking on two legs. Jim
Use data to optimize your xPAP treatment!

"The art of medicine consists in amusing the patient while nature cures the disease." Voltaire

Okie bipap

Post by Okie bipap » Thu Jul 19, 2018 9:03 pm

SewTired wrote:
Thu Jul 19, 2018 7:51 pm
So far, I don't know anybody who has been able to get Medicare to pay for anything but a regular machine.
I don't know what you classify as a regular machine, but my wife and I both have Air Curve 10 vauto machines purchased by Medicare. These are both our original machines since our doctor documented we did not tolerate cpap on our original prescriptions.

Growing old is mandatory, but growing up is optional.

LSAT

Post by LSAT » Thu Jul 19, 2018 9:06 pm

Medicare replacement guidelines.... https://www.resmed.com/us/dam/documents ... achine.pdf

greatunclebill

Post by greatunclebill » Thu Jul 19, 2018 11:00 pm

Medicare has all them crazy rules, but any good dme knows all the answers to give medicare to get things replaced. When i got my new resmed, i had the dr face to face with a prescription from him and it flew right thru. nobody saw my old machine to verify anything. So. talk to your doctor and dme.

please don't ask me to try nasal. i'm a full face person.
the avatar is Rocco, my Lhasa Apso. Number one "Bama fan. 18 championships and counting.
Life member VFW Post 4328 Alabama
MSgt USAF (E-7) medic Retired 1968-1990

raisedfist

Post by raisedfist » Fri Jul 20, 2018 6:02 am

The ResMed AirCurve series is probably the best package in terms of size, features and design. IMO anyway.

PS Min 6, PS Max 18, EPAP Min 4, EPAP Max 12

SewTired

Post by SewTired » Fri Jul 20, 2018 1:54 pm

Okie bipap wrote:
Thu Jul 19, 2018 9:03 pm
SewTired wrote:
Thu Jul 19, 2018 7:51 pm
So far, I don't know anybody who has been able to get Medicare to pay for anything but a regular machine.
I don't know what you classify as a regular machine, but my wife and I both have Air Curve 10 vauto machines purchased by Medicare. These are both our original machines since our doctor documented we did not tolerate cpap on our original prescriptions.
I guess I needed to be more specific. I meant the type of machine classified as a 'travel' size machine. Link to same: https://www.cpap.com/cpap-machines/trav ... achine.php

Airsense For Her; Settings: range 8-12, Airfit P10 (M)