Resmed smart phone reports

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
LSNewcomb

Resmed smart phone reports

Post by LSNewcomb » Tue Apr 11, 2023 5:56 pm

Husband is using new Air Sense 11 Resmed machine. Old machine gave out after 6 years. We get reports every night regarding his scores on wife's cell phone. It's showing he removes his mask 20 times during the night. He does NOT. At most, he'll remove the hose, go to the restroom and reconnecct 2 times. No one can tell me what's going on. We cannot trust his scores. Can anyone shed light on what is happening? Linda Newcomb
( brand new member. . didn't see this addressed in previous notes.)

mdunk100

Re: Resmed smart phone reports

Post by mdunk100 » Tue Apr 11, 2023 7:12 pm

I have the same machine, I have noticed even if you pickup a corner of the mask to scratch my nose it will record mask off. Anytime it sees free airflow it'll record a mask off.

You stopped breathing. Wait, What?

palerider

Post by palerider » Tue Apr 11, 2023 7:15 pm

That's part of the reason that we say that MyAir is useless for anything meaningful.

Accounts to put on the foe list: dataq1, clownbell, gearchange, lynninnj, mper!?, DreamDiver, Geer1, almostadoctor, sleepgeek, ajack, stom, mogy, D.H., They often post misleading, timewasting stuff.

LSAT

Post by LSAT » Tue Apr 11, 2023 7:49 pm

mdunk100 wrote:
Tue Apr 11, 2023 7:12 pm
I have the same machine, I have noticed even if you pickup a corner of the mask to scratch my nose it will record mask off. Anytime it sees free airflow it'll record a mask off.
Why do you care...the score means nothing. Only you see it. The reason you are using this machine is to sleep better with a low AHI. That's all that matters.

chunkyfrog
Location: Nebraska--I am sworn to keep the secret of this paradise.

Post by chunkyfrog » Tue Apr 11, 2023 11:16 pm

palerider wrote:
Tue Apr 11, 2023 7:15 pm

. . . MyAir is useless . . .
Everything I need to see is on the screen the next day.
Some may need Oscar--others are just fascinated by it--it's all good.

Dog Slobber

Post by Dog Slobber » Wed Apr 12, 2023 5:41 am

As much as many want to turn this into a topic about how useless MyAir is, the OP may be identifying a problem that needs addressing.

First thing, the Mask on/off metric is misnamed. It really has nothing to do with taking one's mask. It measures how often the device is power cycled.

Did my air actually report 20 mask on/offs?
Did he actually turn the machine off and on about 20 times?

If the machine is reporting 20 mask on/offs and he hasn't been power cycling it, then there might be something wrong, and the machine is inappropriately power cycling.

Now, we can talk about how useless MyAir is.

MyAir won't help you verify this is the case. But OSCAR can.

Download OSCAR, stick an SD card in your machine. Power cycling can show up on the graphs. Look for breaks in the therapy that aren't explained by bathroom breaks.

Ashern

Post by Ashern » Wed Apr 12, 2023 9:05 am

My experience has been that masks on/off are also recorded on prolonged free flow. I've seen MyAir report a larger number of off/on than what I know I did.

In the end, all it does is affect the score. In myAir, focus on AHI, time, and Leaks.

sauerkraut

Post by sauerkraut » Wed Apr 12, 2023 9:16 am

LSNewcomb;
mdunk100;
My AS 11 doesn't power cycle like that .. I use OSCAR and unless I push the power button
it doesn't show a break in usage .. Air Leaks show up on the leak graph but the Pressure
graph is a continuous line ..
OSCAR is easy to use and provides much more information to determine if Your machine is
malfunctioning !!
Good Luck figuring this out !!
Steve

ChicagoGranny

Post by ChicagoGranny » Wed Apr 12, 2023 12:03 pm

MyAir is excellent for motivating the population of CPAPers. However, it has very limited suitability for analysis and optimation of CPAP therapy.
LSNewcomb wrote:
Tue Apr 11, 2023 5:56 pm
It's showing he removes his mask 20 times during the night. He does NOT.
On the surface, this appears to be a serious issue. What are his AHI, seal, and hours used stats?

If your technical experience is uncomfortable with using OSCAR, get a free account at SleepHq and upload the link in this thread.

Have you checked that all the power connections are secure - wall outlet, transformer brick, machine?

pisco21

Post by pisco21 » Wed Apr 12, 2023 12:21 pm

Dog Slobber. I don't think the Mask off/on metric is about machine power cycling. I do think it's about the machine detecting free air flow as if there were no mask... e.g. if you disconnect the hose, or temporarily move the mask to scratch your nose, or whatever...

My wife's machine often records multiple mask events when she moves and adjusts the mask for various reasons (e.g. comfort, dealing with something else like her phone, or whatever). In OSCAR or ReScan you see it as breaks in the treatment... and it shows up on the summary as a mask event. When she first started I thought there was some issue with her adapting to the machine, but it's just her bedtime habits or sleep hygiene.

LSNewcomb, I use the reports on the phone as a quick metric, and mostly just focus on mask leaks and AHI. For anything else, I would use ReScan, OSCAR or SleepHQ.

Dog Slobber

Post by Dog Slobber » Wed Apr 12, 2023 2:57 pm

I can absolutely guarantee that a mask on/off event is a power cycle.

I have years of OSCAR/MyAir that demonstrate this because they match exactly.

Having said that, the machine measuring the free flow of air can indirectly result in a Mask on/off, under the following conditions:
  • You have SmartStart turned on (on an Air10) or SmartStop turned on (on an Air 11)
  • There is a leak so great that your device interprets it as a missing hose / Humidifier
But what will happen is the machine stops therapy.

You will get a mask on/off event, but that will occur not because of the the increased air flow, but because a power cycle occurred.
pisco21 wrote:
Wed Apr 12, 2023 12:21 pm
In OSCAR or ReScan you see it as breaks in the treatment...
This is a power cycle you're seeing, and as described, it's the power cycle that generated the mask on/off.

The only time a power cycle won't generate a mask on/off event is when the therapy end and restart is immediate.