Aura, Breeze or Switft

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
Sleepless on LI

Aura, Breeze or Switft

Post by Sleepless on LI » Thu Jul 14, 2005 5:58 am

This is my last appeal for advice when it comes to this type of nasal pillow device. Which is the best as far as no leaks and no cause to wake up at night due to adjustments? I am willing to take on the soreness in the beginning and the use of gels until my nose gets used to pillows. If that's the only drawback, hallelujah. But no pressure sores or straps that irritate, clips and the like...And I've heard Restedgal speak of the headgear on the Aura that should be scaled down to fit a woman's head, and I think my skull is large enough to accomodate a headgear like this (no jokes, please). I have also heard MANY people speak of the noise that comes from the Swift. I am also a side-sleeper and the Swift doesn't look like it will do it for me. I just don't know!!! I just want to try to make one purchase that I won't be sorry for later on. I've been on CPAP for six weeks and I am so "tired" of waking a few times during the night, adjusting my Activa due to leaks. And, yes, I HAVE tried everything under the sun, moon and stars with the Activa to try not to have these leaks, including the mole skin, but no luck.

I know in CPAP Land one man's ceiling is another man's floor, but I am just trying to get the general consensus on this. Thanks for any feedback you can offer. (Smiling face-since my smilies aren't working)

CPAPopedia Keywords Contained In This Post (Click For Definition): activa, nasal pillow, swift, CPAP, Aura

L o R i

WillSucceed

Post by WillSucceed » Thu Jul 14, 2005 6:47 am

I've used all three (Swift, Breeze and Aura).

In my opinion, Breeze offers the most flexibility in terms of adjustment and configuraton. I find it remarkably stable and comfortable. Although I use Breeze alot, I do still use Swift periodically and I sold the Aura abomination to someone else on the forum. This other user of Aura is very happy with it.

As you spoke about, what works for one will not necessarily work for another. So, if I could only pick one, I'd select the one that has the most options regarding adjustment, fit and sizing options. That, I believe, is Breeze.

Hope this helps!

Buy a new hat, drink a good wine, treat yourself, and someone you love, to a new bauble, live while you are alive... you never know when the mid-town bus is going to have your name written across its front bumper!

Sleepless on LI

Post by Sleepless on LI » Thu Jul 14, 2005 6:50 am

Will, thanks for the fast reply. I am leaning towards the Breeze and was actually just looking at different sites/prices, etc. However, after watching a mini-movie on cpap.com, I am afraid the shape of my nares might not be right for a pillow type of device. Now I am worried about that. Might be too oval shaped, rather than round. I am trying to figure out if that's what they use the dilator pillow types for. Not getting anywhere though. Do you know anything about that?
Thank you for your help. Happy dreams to you, too.

L o R i

JL

Post by JL » Thu Jul 14, 2005 7:07 am

Have not tried the Aura or Swift but as a restless side sleeper I've had very good luck with the Breeze as have many others. It has enough possible adjustments available out of the box to let most people get it just right. Get large and medium nasal pillows with it. A couple minor tweaks: Support the CPAP hose on your headboard with a ponytail squeegy or something similar (good idea for any mask). Put a ponytail squeegy six inches back from the Breeze hose support (provides better CPAP-Breeze hose movement support). Use a rubber band at the Breeze hose end/swivel to prevent it from coming loose. And see Rested Gal's picture of the modification she made at viewtopic.php?t=3492&highlight=breeze

Good Luck

Jim

9-11 cm Remstar Auto w/C-Flex off,
Heated Humidifier & Hose...Breeze, Activa, Ultra Mirage FF, Hybrid
Encore Pro w/MyEncore enhancements

JL

Post by JL » Thu Jul 14, 2005 7:11 am

Lori

Followup post...regular pillows are oval shaped where they sit against your nares.

Jim

Sleepless on LI

Post by Sleepless on LI » Thu Jul 14, 2005 7:14 am

Jim, wow! Thanks for the link. Rested Gal is amazing. She really needs to start making the bucks in this field. She has to know more than most RTs about the equipment and all the ways around the pitfalls that come with most of it. I appreciate your feedback and the link very much. I think Breeze is going to be the one I choose after all I'm reading.
I just would like one straight night of sleep after all of this. I am more energetic and feeling much better on therapy, but would love to sleep through just one night.
Have a great day!

L o R i

Sleepless on LI

Post by Sleepless on LI » Thu Jul 14, 2005 7:22 am

Jim, then if my nares ARE oval, that is what I do want. Right? So then the dilators are for more rounded nares? Why do they have to make me so confused over everything???
Thanks again.
L o R i

WillSucceed

Post by WillSucceed » Thu Jul 14, 2005 7:49 am

The pillows are large enough to take care of oval-shaped nares just fine. Unlikely that you would want the 'dilator' pillows --> they are beasts!
Buy a new hat, drink a good wine, treat yourself, and someone you love, to a new bauble, live while you are alive... you never know when the mid-town bus is going to have your name written across its front bumper!

Sleepless on LI

Post by Sleepless on LI » Thu Jul 14, 2005 7:54 am

Will, thanks for the LOL. I truly did laugh out loud. "Beasts!" They must really work for someone's nose, and if they would for mine, now I'll know my nares are "beasts!!!" I am hysterical.
I just ordered the Breeze on cpap.com, and I'm having it overnighted. I told them to send the medium and large pillows. She explained to me that the dilators also go further up the nose and are just larger in general. Although my nares are oval and not small, per se, they are not beast-like by any stretch of the imagination. And when I started, my first mask was an Oracle that included nasal plugs and I used the medium or large of those. So using that as a guide, I figured the medium or large pillows should work fine with this.
Thanks for your feedback. And if it doesn't interfere too much with your daily activities, would you mind keeping your fingers crossed for me? I would just love to have one straight night's sleep without waking up due to my mask. Ah, the thought...

L o R i

JL

Post by JL » Thu Jul 14, 2005 8:10 am

Beasts...yeh that is good for a laugh!! Good luck to you Restless. Let us know how it works out for you.

Jim

Sleepless on LI

Post by Sleepless on LI » Thu Jul 14, 2005 8:16 am

I love that word, "beasts." Something about having beastly nares. Those two words together...only on this site, I tell you.
Thanks. I will keep you posted.
L o R i

Sleepless on LI

PS: To WillSucceed

Post by Sleepless on LI » Thu Jul 14, 2005 8:18 am

Will,
I have to tell you, you are my type of guy!!! I just read your little saying at the bottom of your thread and I am, once again, hysterical. Either someone spiked my tea with something this morning, in which case I'd like to know what it was, or you are just a comical man. Thanks for the morning dose of endorphines!!!
L
L o R i

WillSucceed

Post by WillSucceed » Thu Jul 14, 2005 9:10 am

Glad you had a laugh. I believe that if one does not laugh every day, one dies.

As to the message at the bottom of my posts, I'm very serious about this. I spend my day working in the critical care unit of a large, pediatric teaching hospital. My job is to take care of the parents, help them deal with tragedy and grief, and keep the staff glued together so that they can do the amazing medical work that they do. Every day I spend time with parents who, the day before, were as happy as clams because all was well with their kids. Then, whammo, out of no where, it hits the fan and they are in terrible shape. So, I really believe the words that I write -->enjoy life and help others around you to enjoy as well. Make the most of every experience and treat yourself and others well. Life is way to short to do otherwise.

Sleepless on LI

Post by Sleepless on LI » Thu Jul 14, 2005 10:05 am

Oh, Will, I hope you didn't misunderstand me. It is a beautiful sentiment. It was the last line that cracked me up about the front bumper of the crosstown bus having your name on its bumper. Very true words to live by. And I couldn't agree with you more wholeheartedly. I was never one to save for a rainy day. I believe you never know from one day to the next what tomorrow will bring, so enjoy it while you're here. Not to say a little in the bank isn't a great idea, but don't spend all day today worrying about tomorrow because you never know if tomorrow will be in your future.
You sound like a very compassionate and wise man. I hope you get back at least some of what you give out to others. Have yourself a wonderful day.
L o R i

WillSucceed

Post by WillSucceed » Thu Jul 14, 2005 10:36 am

Sleepless on LI

Wasn't offended in the least. I just wanted to explain the sentiment behind my signature line. It is my effort to say something meaningful and realistic with a bit of humour.

You have a good day as well!

PS. Stay cool... we are COOKING here in Toronto. Ouch!!!