Too much oxygen?

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
babydoss

Too much oxygen?

Post by babydoss » Sun Mar 25, 2007 1:25 pm

My husband is new to BiPAP (less than a week). Is it possible to get too much Oxygen from the machine. He says that he has a slight headache today.

Goofproof

Post by Goofproof » Sun Mar 25, 2007 3:08 pm

Check your leak rates with the software, you may be mouthbreathing and loosing pressure.
Use data to optimize your xPAP treatment!

"The art of medicine consists in amusing the patient while nature cures the disease." Voltaire

babydoss

Post by babydoss » Sun Mar 25, 2007 3:18 pm

He uses a full face mask because he MUST breathe thru his mouth because his nasal passages are always "stuffy". One side is severely constricted, so he can not be able to count on breathing thru his nose.

Given that info, what in the world can he do? The headache may just be nothing. I might just be a normal headache. I think when someone starts a new therapy like this they are apt to be more sensitive and aware of every little thing that seems out of the ordinary for them.

linda b

Post by linda b » Sun Mar 25, 2007 3:48 pm

When I first started using oxygen at night (before xPAP therapy) I, too, would wake up with a really bad headache. The doc suggested a humidifier bottle and I have not had a headache since.

Linda B.

Goofproof

Post by Goofproof » Sun Mar 25, 2007 4:41 pm

babydoss wrote:He uses a full face mask because he MUST breathe thru his mouth because his nasal passages are always "stuffy". One side is severely constricted, so he can not be able to count on breathing thru his nose.

Given that info, what in the world can he do? The headache may just be nothing. I might just be a normal headache. I think when someone starts a new therapy like this they are apt to be more sensitive and aware of every little thing that seems out of the ordinary for them.
Your profile shows a nasal mask. Too bad about being stopped up, my problem to, I use OTC Med's before bed, only last 4 hours. and bad for heart. jim
Use data to optimize your xPAP treatment!

"The art of medicine consists in amusing the patient while nature cures the disease." Voltaire

dsm

Post by dsm » Sun Mar 25, 2007 5:36 pm

Lee,

When you say too much oxygen, I suspect you are meaning, too much air or ventilation (based on our PM discussion).

Some people on xpap therapy (xpap therapy meaning general cpap therapy) they can also be on supplemental oxygen which is added into the air coming from the cpap unit. Supplemental oxygen is usually for people with lung problems or recovering from surgery etc:. The oxygen is produced from an oxygen concentratoe machine or from oxygen bottles.

What the headaches could be is over ventilation which is when the machine is trying to pump more air into someone than they need. But that tends to keep the person awake rather than give headaches. Headaches are typical of a mask being too tight or the person fighting discomfort from the straps / mask / hose.

Because hubby was titrated at 16, I doubt that you setting ipap to 15 is the problem. If anything 16 is what I would set ipap to but would keep the epap to no less than 4 or 3 below ipap.

Does hubby have any lung problems (I gather from your PM that he is probably in general good health apart from the OSA).

Good luck & keep asking

DSM

xPAP and Quattro std mask (plus a pad-a-cheek anti-leak strap)

babydoss

Post by babydoss » Sun Mar 25, 2007 6:59 pm

My husband is in perfect health. He is the EPITOME of good health. He exercises EVERY day, eats right and at 6'2" he weighs about 210. He just has that thick football neck!

I have just unplugged the machine and will plug it back in before he goes to bed. When he gets up tonite, he may even just unplug the darn thing instead of just turning off the blower motor.

I am still baffled by how by just disconnecting the tube for 5 mintues could send the machine into such a tizzy, lowering the pressure and then sounding the alarm(s)!!

Off we go to nite #5! Beam me up Scottie! I'll let you know how it works out tomorrow.

Thanks again Doug, Lee

lvwildcat

Post by lvwildcat » Sun Mar 25, 2007 8:32 pm

Lee-this may have been answered for you already. There is no supplemental O2 being supplied by straight CPAP. What CPAP is-the pressure needed to keep your airway open-it actually stents open your airway. So like I said no extra O2 just extra pressure is delivered.

babydoss

Post by babydoss » Sun Mar 25, 2007 8:43 pm

I guess I used the wrong word when I said "oxygen". I really didn't mean that. Can you tell that I am new to this lingo?

What I meant to say was, "can a person be OVER ventilated"? In other words, can the inspiratory pressure be too high causing you to breathe in too much air?

Does that make any sense?

dsm

Post by dsm » Sun Mar 25, 2007 11:10 pm

Lee,

Just to reconfirm, I think you got it correctly at the start when you wondered why they set this machine at 14 ipap when he was titrated for 16 cpap.

If the machine was a Bipap Auto you can set the starting pressure lower than titration. But for a Bipap S/T & for your hubby with the decription you have provided, I would say he isn't getting enough air.

I have no fears recommending to you to go for an ipap of 16 & epap of 12 or 13 (based on what feels best).

The one problem with cms of 16 (anything 15 & over) is you do have to strap the mask up tight & that causes its own problems.

Good luck

DSM

xPAP and Quattro std mask (plus a pad-a-cheek anti-leak strap)