Air Sense 11 and toxic vapor fumes

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
palerider

Re: Air Sense 11 and toxic vapor fumes

Post by palerider » Sun Jul 16, 2023 2:39 am

Grumpy48 wrote:
Sat Jul 15, 2023 6:46 pm
A couple of questions......

- Do you have any kind of cleaning routine you do to the CPAP machine, hose, and mask (SoClean or similar)?

- The symptoms you cite are a few that could be linked to CO2 (carbon monoxide) poisoning and perhaps the odor you noticed was related. Is there anything in your room, house, or apartment that might be a CO2 source (gas water heater that may have compromised venting for example) or an AC unit that draws outside air that may be near a parking area or other source of combustion. The source could be transient and not there all the time. If you don't have one, it would be a very wise idea to get a CO2 detector (or a combo fire/CO2 detector).
https://www.pennmedicine.org/for-patien ... -poisoning

- You stated you have an oximeter. If it's the kind you wear at night, might it have recorded data that showed a drop in O2 saturation during this episode?

Your nose and body is likely sensing something, but the chance of the CPAP being the source is very, very slim. If it is indeed something like CO2 perhaps the CPAP gives you a stronger concentration than just breathing the room air without it.
Just a point, you mean "CO" because CO₂ is carbon DIoxide, which is what we exhale, (no less poisonous in higher concentrations) but not insidious like CO poisoning is. Otherwise, ye, good suggestion.

Accounts to put on the foe list: dataq1, clownbell, gearchange, lynninnj, mper!?, DreamDiver, Geer1, almostadoctor, sleepgeek, ajack, stom, mogy, D.H., They often post misleading, timewasting stuff.

Grumpy48

Post by Grumpy48 » Sun Jul 16, 2023 6:57 am

palerider wrote:
Sun Jul 16, 2023 2:39 am
Grumpy48 wrote:
Sat Jul 15, 2023 6:46 pm
A couple of questions......

- Do you have any kind of cleaning routine you do to the CPAP machine, hose, and mask (SoClean or similar)?

- The symptoms you cite are a few that could be linked to CO2 (carbon monoxide) poisoning and perhaps the odor you noticed was related. Is there anything in your room, house, or apartment that might be a CO2 source (gas water heater that may have compromised venting for example) or an AC unit that draws outside air that may be near a parking area or other source of combustion. The source could be transient and not there all the time. If you don't have one, it would be a very wise idea to get a CO2 detector (or a combo fire/CO2 detector).
https://www.pennmedicine.org/for-patien ... -poisoning

- You stated you have an oximeter. If it's the kind you wear at night, might it have recorded data that showed a drop in O2 saturation during this episode?

Your nose and body is likely sensing something, but the chance of the CPAP being the source is very, very slim. If it is indeed something like CO2 perhaps the CPAP gives you a stronger concentration than just breathing the room air without it.
Just a point, you mean "CO" because CO₂ is carbon DIoxide, which is what we exhale, (no less poisonous in higher concentrations) but not insidious like CO poisoning is. Otherwise, ye, good suggestion.
Crap..... thanks for catching that. Fixed it.

mp6617

Post by mp6617 » Mon Jul 17, 2023 3:10 pm

i have an air sense 11 and haven't noticed any such odors or had any such difficulties after using it.

chunkyfrog
Location: Nebraska--I am sworn to keep the secret of this paradise.

Post by chunkyfrog » Mon Jul 17, 2023 6:45 pm

mp6617 wrote:
Mon Jul 17, 2023 3:10 pm
i have an air sense 11 and haven't noticed any such odors or had any such difficulties after using it.
The smells reported by the OP are quite unusual.
If it were me, I would seek an immediate referral to an neurologist,
because the clues point to a possibly dangerous sensory dysfunction.

palerider

Post by palerider » Mon Jul 17, 2023 8:58 pm

mp6617 wrote:
Mon Jul 17, 2023 3:10 pm
That's because those odors and difficulties don't exist.

But, you know, whenever something weird happens, blame it on the CPAP

Accounts to put on the foe list: dataq1, clownbell, gearchange, lynninnj, mper!?, DreamDiver, Geer1, almostadoctor, sleepgeek, ajack, stom, mogy, D.H., They often post misleading, timewasting stuff.

zonker

Post by zonker » Mon Jul 17, 2023 10:51 pm

i do believe the op has left us.
people say i'm self absorbed.
but that's enough about them.
Oscar-Win
https://www.apneaboard.com/OSCAR/OSCAR-1.5.1-Win64.exe
Oscar-Mac
https://www.apneaboard.com/OSCAR/OSCAR-1.5.1.dmg

palerider

Post by palerider » Mon Jul 17, 2023 11:01 pm

zonker wrote:
Mon Jul 17, 2023 10:51 pm
i do believe the op has left us.
Could be, his bs still needs to be refuted because it can mislead newbies.