Strap causing rash....

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
FallGuy

Strap causing rash....

Post by FallGuy » Tue Mar 06, 2007 2:03 pm

Anyone else having a problem with their strap causing a rash on the back of their head? I have use the Ultra Mirage full mask which I love, but the straps are causing a bad rash and bumps that are very irritating. I have been using a folded wash cloth as a buffer and it helps a little. Anyone else have any thoughts on how I can cure this? Sorry if someone has already asked this I looked it up but only saw face irritation.

WearyOne

Chin Burning---

Post by WearyOne » Tue Mar 06, 2007 2:18 pm

I don't have a rash from straps on my neck, but I just started trying to us the Hybrid (which I really like), only my chin burns when I'm wearing it! I have skin problems in that area anyway, so I'm sure that's why. (The wire things they attached to my chin at the sleep studies did the same thing, only the burning subsided after a while.) Last night, I put a small piece of folded up tissue over the chin area. I thought it would cause a leak but it didn't, and it did help somewhat But it could still be better.

Any ideas anyone?

Pam

Maryb

Post by Maryb » Tue Mar 06, 2007 3:34 pm

Get PadACheeks.
I have a neoprene allergy and get hives, etc. from mask straps on my face.
PadACheeks stopped that.
Then I got a hybrid and I got a rash on the back of my neck. PadACheeks sell a fleece cover for the back of the neck strap too--I got that and it worked.
Also PadACheeks made my hybrid fit better.
Also, I got a chin rash from the hybrid's silicone chin cup. I cut a small piece of cotton gauze and folded it over and put it in the chin cup between my chin and the cup. That worked for me.

Maryb

Maryb

Post by Maryb » Tue Mar 06, 2007 3:36 pm

oops. forgot to give you the link for PadACheeks.
Here it is: http://www.padacheek.com/

Maryb

bdp522

Post by bdp522 » Tue Mar 06, 2007 5:17 pm

If you don't see what you need on the padacheek web site you can PM Padacheek. She is a forum member and always willing to find a solution for you!

Brenda

Post by Guest » Tue Mar 06, 2007 7:53 pm

I got an abscess from the same mask. The neck strap rubbed until I got a Pad A Cheek neck strap cover. If you tell her what mask you have, she will be sure that the strap is covered with no part of the strap exposed. That is what she did for me.

Louise

roster

Post by roster » Tue Mar 06, 2007 8:10 pm

The Pad A Cheeks are great for the Hybrid. I use them on the side straps to prevent marks on my face.

I also wear a Buff (http://www.buffusa.com/) to protect my hair from the top and back straps and it is long enough to protect the back strap of the Hybrid. This is one reason I don't like revealing my real name - most of my friends and I are macho types and they would laugh their butts off if they knew I wore a Buff to bed.

The Buff is a great product (but expensive) and is made out of CoolMax fiber so I don't get heat buildup.

Like some other Hybrid users, I cut the chin flap off the mask and don't get chin irritation. The mask is cooler and doesn't leak since I cut the flap off. PM me if you want more information.

rooster