Success story and travel question

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
palerider

Re: Success story and travel question

Post by palerider » Sat Nov 26, 2016 5:02 pm

CapnLoki wrote:
palerider wrote:
ChicagoGranny wrote:
Purples wrote:a gentle breeze
CPAP creates a pressure, not a breeze, gentle or otherwise.
no, the cpap creates a gentle breeze, the resistance of the face to that mask creates the pressure.
The two concepts are clearly related. However, the CPAP pump is designed to produce a pressure. You wouldn't say a bicycle pump creates a breeze, it creates a pressure.
while I'll gladly say that you're the expert around here when it comes to batteries... you are wrong about your statement there.

take a bicycle pump, (if you can find a good one with a pressure gauge on it, or, one of those little tire inflator compressors, and pump it (turn it on) without a tire attached... see any pressure? nope. all that pump, whether a vane pump like in the cpap, or a piston pump, like in the compressor can do is create an air flow.
pres·sure
ˈpreSHər/
noun
the continuous physical force exerted on or against an object by something in contact with it.
CapnLoki wrote:An electric outlet is known by its voltage (electrical pressure), the current it supplies depends on the resistance of the receiving device.
not an apt analogy. flowing water is appropriate. flowing electrons, not so much.

Accounts to put on the foe list: dataq1, clownbell, gearchange, lynninnj, mper!?, DreamDiver, Geer1, almostadoctor, sleepgeek, ajack, stom, mogy, D.H., They often post misleading, timewasting stuff.

NachtWürger

Post by NachtWürger » Sat Nov 26, 2016 5:55 pm

palerider wrote:create an air flow
That's why CPAP is calibrated in MPH.

palerider

Post by palerider » Sat Nov 26, 2016 8:24 pm

NachtWürger wrote:
palerider wrote:create an air flow
That's why CPAP is calibrated in MPH.
I'll assume that's an attempt at humor, but the more appropriate measure is liters per minute, oh, wait, that's actually used in the specs.

Accounts to put on the foe list: dataq1, clownbell, gearchange, lynninnj, mper!?, DreamDiver, Geer1, almostadoctor, sleepgeek, ajack, stom, mogy, D.H., They often post misleading, timewasting stuff.

CapnLoki

Post by CapnLoki » Sat Nov 26, 2016 9:27 pm

palerider wrote:
CapnLoki wrote:
palerider wrote:no, the cpap creates a gentle breeze, the resistance of the face to that mask creates the pressure.
The two concepts are clearly related. However, the CPAP pump is designed to produce a pressure. You wouldn't say a bicycle pump creates a breeze, it creates a pressure.
while I'll gladly say that you're the expert around here when it comes to batteries... you are wrong about your statement there.

take a bicycle pump, (if you can find a good one with a pressure gauge on it, or, one of those little tire inflator compressors, and pump it (turn it on) without a tire attached... see any pressure? nope. all that pump, whether a vane pump like in the cpap, or a piston pump, like in the compressor can do is create an air flow.
You just proved my point: when the pump is used in a way the it was NOT designed, and performs NO useful purpose, then it creates a breeze. Otherwise, it creates a pressure. Its really just that simple.
palerider wrote:
pres·sure
ˈpreSHər/
noun
the continuous physical force exerted on or against an object by something in contact with it.
CapnLoki wrote:An electric outlet is known by its voltage (electrical pressure), the current it supplies depends on the resistance of the receiving device.
not an apt analogy. flowing water is appropriate. flowing electrons, not so much.
To a physicist, the differential equations are identical. In fact, understanding the analogy is one of the first steps in becoming a physicist.

Pumps, whether they pump air, water, or electrons, are defined in terms of pressure and flow rate depending on their purpose. Some are rated in PSI or Gallons per minute or Head or Volts or Watts. In our case, the key spec, essentially the only spec of import for us, the users, is pressure. The specs may mention volume of air somewhere, but almost everything I see relates to the pressure.

Additional Comments: Pressure 9-20, average ~9.5; often use battery power while off-grid
Hark, how hard he fetches breath . . .  Act II, Scene IV, King Henry IV Part I, William Shakespeare
Choosing a Battery thread: http://www.cpaptalk.com/viewtopic/t1140 ... ttery.html

palerider

Post by palerider » Sat Nov 26, 2016 10:36 pm

CapnLoki wrote:You just proved my point: when the pump is used in a way the it was NOT designed, and performs NO useful purpose, then it creates a breeze. Otherwise, it creates a pressure. Its really just that simple.
I'm afraid you don't understand the concept.

Pressure is a result of resistance to flow. if you have no resistance to the flow, you have *NO PRESSURE*. no matter what the amount of flow coming from (what is it that cpap manufacturers call that blowy thing? pressure pump? no, pressurizer? no, pressure generator? no... FLOW GENERATOR that's it!) from the flow generator, until you obstruct that flow, you have now pressure.

hook a manometer up to the hose of your cpap, turn it on with nothing on the end of the hose, set the thing to 10cm... what pressure will your manometer read? nothing, or very near it, even though the FLOW will be at the maximum, because the pump will be running at full speed, because the pressure is below the set point.... even though it may be blowing 300 lpm, or more.

put a blocked mask on the end of the hose, with a standard vent, the flow will encounter the blockage, and then you'll get pressure, and the blower will slow way down to where the flow is only some 30lpm.

the machine generates *FLOW*, not pressure. it's set for pressure because setting it for a given flow (which, actually, is how old cpaps worked) is greatly ineffective, because as the resistance to flow changes (decreasing when you inhale, increasing when you exhale) the pressure would swing wildly, it would be more difficult to inhale and much harder to exhale, and you'd have to adjust the machine based on altitude.
CapnLoki wrote:
palerider wrote:
CapnLoki wrote: An electric outlet is known by its voltage (electrical pressure), the current it supplies depends on the resistance of the receiving device.
To a physicist, the differential equations are identical. In fact, understanding the analogy is one of the first steps in becoming a physicist.

Pumps, whether they pump air, water, or electrons, are defined in terms of pressure and flow rate depending on their purpose. Some are rated in PSI or Gallons per minute or Head or Volts or Watts. In our case, the key spec, essentially the only spec of import for us, the users, is pressure. The specs may mention volume of air somewhere, but almost everything I see relates to the pressure.
ya know, you're right about the second part, however you're *again* wrong about your first comment.

take your initial idea. an electrical outlet has, say, 120v rms on the hot wire, and zero v on the neutral, referenced to ground.

you can measure that with a multimeter, from hot to ground.

now, plug in your toaster, which has a fairly low resistance. measure the hot side, still 120vrms to ground, because you've got a huge amount of flow available. measure it AFTER THE RESISTANCE... what do you get? zero, because there's no more resistance, even though there's still plenty of current flowing.

get in your car, turn on the headlights, crank it, notice the lights dimming? that's because your 12v is being pulled lower, the pressure is leaking out through the less than infinite resistance of the starter, the pressure is dropping, more electrons are going through than the battery can supply, so the pressure drops.

there are tables in the back of the resmed clinical manuals that show the maximum flow that the flow generator can produce to maintain a pressure against excessive leaks. if it generated "PRESSURE" then none of that would matter. it wouldn't matter how big a leak the mask had.

Purples

Post by Purples » Sun Nov 27, 2016 12:22 am

Thank you Rick Blaine, Chevie & Cands - v much appreciated. Really useful thoughts/info there. Now time to finish packing...... So excited!

Pap-Daddy

Post by Pap-Daddy » Sun Nov 27, 2016 7:29 am

Purples hopefully you have some documentation directly from your airline.

afaik the FAA and other rules mentioned only apply to flights originating or terminating in the USA which does not seem to apply to your flights.
Purples wrote:I'm off on holiday tomorrow to Thailand & Malaysia (lucky girl!) and have a quick travel question for you clever lot. I bought a battery pack so I can use the machine on the flight (I've done all the notifying the airline, have medical paperwork, etc). It comes in its own cumbersome bag. Can I just put it inside a "bubble wrap bag" in with the machine? Will any of the airline checking people care? First-hand experience appreciated.

Thanks again for the support and info last time. Hope the positive news story helps someone.

Purples
Safe and pleasant travels to you.

CapnLoki

Post by CapnLoki » Sun Nov 27, 2016 8:21 am

palerider wrote:
CapnLoki wrote:You just proved my point: when the pump is used in a way the it was NOT designed, and performs NO useful purpose, then it creates a breeze. Otherwise, it creates a pressure. Its really just that simple.
I'm afraid you don't understand the concept.
I understand your concept perfectly well, I just don't accept it as significant. Of course pumps, as a general rule, perform their function by moving something. That doesn't make them a "wind machine." Pumps are classified by their function, their purpose, their primary design attribute. Some are designed to maintain a particular pressure, other to maintain a flow.

You could just as well make the argument that the function of a car is to burn fuel, but that is certainly not how most people view them. Actually you make it worse, because you keep talking about what a CPAP does when used incorrectly, i.e. when they have a large leak. This is like calling an airplane a "crashing machine" because that's what they do when they fail.

palerider wrote: Pressure is a result of resistance to flow. if you have no resistance to the flow, you have *NO PRESSURE*. no matter what the amount of flow coming from (what is it that cpap manufacturers call that blowy thing? pressure pump? no, pressurizer? no, pressure generator? no... FLOW GENERATOR that's it!) from the flow generator, until you obstruct that flow, you have now pressure.

hook a manometer up to the hose of your cpap, turn it on with nothing on the end of the hose, set the thing to 10cm... what pressure will your manometer read? nothing, or very near it, even though the FLOW will be at the maximum, because the pump will be running at full speed, because the pressure is below the set point.... even though it may be blowing 300 lpm, or more.

put a blocked mask on the end of the hose, with a standard vent, the flow will encounter the blockage, and then you'll get pressure, and the blower will slow way down to where the flow is only some 30lpm.
Again, you prove my point: when used correctly, it provides a pressure, wind - not so much.
palerider wrote:the machine generates *FLOW*, not pressure. it's set for pressure because setting it for a given flow (which, actually, is how old cpaps worked) is greatly ineffective, because as the resistance to flow changes (decreasing when you inhale, increasing when you exhale) the pressure would swing wildly, it would be more difficult to inhale and much harder to exhale, and you'd have to adjust the machine based on altitude.
In other words, early CPAPs were wind machine, but they didn't work too well. Now they are pressure machines, and they work much better. I'm glad you're beginning to understand.
palerider wrote:
CapnLoki wrote:
palerider wrote:
CapnLoki wrote: An electric outlet is known by its voltage (electrical pressure), the current it supplies depends on the resistance of the receiving device.

ya know, you're right about the second part, however you're *again* wrong about your first comment.

take your initial idea. an electrical outlet has, say, 120v rms on the hot wire, and zero v on the neutral, referenced to ground.

you can measure that with a multimeter, from hot to ground.

now, plug in your toaster, which has a fairly low resistance. measure the hot side, still 120vrms to ground, because you've got a huge amount of flow available. measure it AFTER THE RESISTANCE... what do you get? zero, because there's no more resistance, even though there's still plenty of current flowing.
I admit A/C current confuses the analogy a bit, and I'm not sure how you're measuring the voltage in this example. But its certain true that if you measure voltage at different places in a circuit there will be different readings. Just as if you measure current (or air flow) at different places there are different reading. Its just not relevant to the issue.
palerider wrote:get in your car, turn on the headlights, crank it, notice the lights dimming? that's because your 12v is being pulled lower, the pressure is leaking out through the less than infinite resistance of the starter, the pressure is dropping, more electrons are going through than the battery can supply, so the pressure drops.
Well, a battery isn't normally though of as a pump, but starting batteries are rated by how much current they can provide, not how well the maintain a constant voltage. An alternator, on the other hand, has a regulator that insures a precise voltage under a wide range of loads. Without that, it would fry everything in sight and be quite useless. Again, you prove my point!
palerider wrote: there are tables in the back of the resmed clinical manuals that show the maximum flow that the flow generator can produce to maintain a pressure against excessive leaks. if it generated "PRESSURE" then none of that would matter. it wouldn't matter how big a leak the mask had.
So, if I told you to pick between two CPAPs, where one could provide a massive flow when there's a large leak but could only hold the pressure +/- 20%, and another held a precise pressure except when there was a large leak, you would pick the former?

The point of a CPAP is to provide a modest flow at a precise pressure. To say its purpose is to create a breeze, is like saying a HiFi speaker creates wind, not sound.

Additional Comments: Pressure 9-20, average ~9.5; often use battery power while off-grid
Hark, how hard he fetches breath . . .  Act II, Scene IV, King Henry IV Part I, William Shakespeare
Choosing a Battery thread: http://www.cpaptalk.com/viewtopic/t1140 ... ttery.html

chunkyfrog
Location: Nebraska--I am sworn to keep the secret of this paradise.

Post by chunkyfrog » Sun Nov 27, 2016 11:06 am

Note: Purples is in UK; do our units work over there?
I miss DoriC.

yaconsult

Post by yaconsult » Sun Nov 27, 2016 12:12 pm

Hi, Purples. First of all, congratulations! You put in the time doing the research and asking for help when needed. Now, you get to reap the rewards. It always cheers us up to hear these stories.

Second, would you please copy your post and add it the success stories thread to encourage new and struggling cpap users? The reason to do this is that your post here will quickly get pushed off the front page and further and further down. It's just how forums work. But the success stories thread is pinned in a special section of the forum that is always on the front page and therefore more likely to be seen by new people. You can find the thread here: viewtopic/t14494/Newbie-would-like-to-h ... lease.html You could just copy and paste the post that you started this thread with, although you might want to delete the battery question part when you repost as that thread is just for success stories. People will hopefully address the battery question here.

palerider

Post by palerider » Sun Nov 27, 2016 3:18 pm

CapnLoki wrote:Again, you prove my point: when used correctly, it provides a pressure, wind - not so much.
you're clearly, *willfully* being obtuse.

good to know wind doesn't produce pressure when it hits a resistance.
CapnLoki wrote:In other words, early CPAPs were wind machine, but they didn't work too well. Now they are pressure machines, and they work much better. I'm glad you're beginning to understand.
it amazes me that you're so obtuse about this.

the fact that the machine dynamically alters the amount of wind it produces doesn't change the basic fact that they *only produce an airflow, a 'wind'.*
CapnLoki wrote: Its just not relevant to the issue.
neither was your trying to confuse the issue by bringing up electricity.
CapnLoki wrote: Again, you prove my point!
amazing, you have such a superficial understanding. alternators are not unlimited sources of power, ever heard of the term "brownout"?
CapnLoki wrote:
palerider wrote: there are tables in the back of the resmed clinical manuals that show the maximum flow that the flow generator can produce to maintain a pressure against excessive leaks. if it generated "PRESSURE" then none of that would matter. it wouldn't matter how big a leak the mask had.
So, if I told you to pick between two CPAPs, where one could provide a massive flow when there's a large leak but could only hold the pressure +/- 20%, and another held a precise pressure except when there was a large leak, you would pick the former?
just when I thought your comments couldn't get more mindless.

trying to get you to think properly about this just doesn't seem possible, unfortunately.

CapnLoki

Post by CapnLoki » Sun Nov 27, 2016 5:03 pm

palerider wrote:
CapnLoki wrote:Again, you prove my point: when used correctly, it provides a pressure, wind - not so much.
you're clearly, *willfully* being obtuse.
Willful??? You're too funny!! Is your defense for your silliness that you're not willful?
palerider wrote:
CapnLoki wrote:In other words, early CPAPs were wind machine, but they didn't work too well. Now they are pressure machines, and they work much better. I'm glad you're beginning to understand.
it amazes me that you're so obtuse about this.

the fact that the machine dynamically alters the amount of wind it produces doesn't change the basic fact that they *only produce an airflow, a 'wind'.*
You keep missing the point. I haven't denied that pumps move air. I'm claiming that is not necessarily the significant feature of the device. There are in fact many pumps that are defined by the pressure they produce, not the volume of fluid they move.
palerider wrote:
CapnLoki wrote: Its just not relevant to the issue.
neither was your trying to confuse the issue by bringing up electricity.
Sorry, its a perfect analogy. It does however require sophomore level physics and math. But the issue here isn't really technical, its philosophical. This seems to be lost on you.
palerider wrote:
CapnLoki wrote: Again, you prove my point!
amazing, you have such a superficial understanding. alternators are not unlimited sources of power, ever heard of the term "brownout"?
In a car, alternators almost never are called on to provide more juice then they are able to provide. Maybe for a few minutes after starting they could run without regulation, After that, without regulation they would produce 16+ volts and start cooking things. Again a case where the simplistic view is that the alternator supplies flow, but in fact the precision ot the regulation is the important quality.

I don't see where "brownouts" come into play - does your car suffer brownouts? Is your cpap unable to provide enough air to keep the pressure up? Are you sure you're using your cpap properly?

You seem obsessed about how things fail, when you should be looking at what attributes make them work properly. Almost every aspect of a CPAP, APAP, or BiPAP revolves around how well in manages the pressure. I've never seen a complaint about volume of air produced.
palerider wrote:
CapnLoki wrote:
just when I thought your comments couldn't get more mindless.

trying to get you to think properly about this just doesn't seem possible, unfortunately.
And by "think properly" you mean set it your way? I see your point. Your claim is that the only way for a pump to work is to have a flow. Therefore, pumps can't be defined as creating a pressure. However, there are lots of situations where the flow rate is is secondary (or even insignificant) but the pressure is all important. Just Google "air pressure pump" or "water pressure pump" or even "regulated power supply" for lots of examples. Your claim is that these devices don;t really exist, but the internet doesn't lie!

palerider

Post by palerider » Sun Nov 27, 2016 5:17 pm

CapnLoki wrote: Your claim is that these devices don;t really exist, but the internet doesn't lie!
I realize that these are complicated concepts, and that it's difficult for you to comprehend the reality, so rather than waste more of my time simply because you're wrong (as Gasper's avatar shows) I'll just leave these here, and hope perhaps you can learn something.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7IpJlYssvkM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AyizWUpPt28

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8f2fcbTh5yw

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8f2fcbTh5yw

palerider

Post by palerider » Sun Nov 27, 2016 5:30 pm

CapnLoki wrote: Just Google "air pressure pump" or "water pressure pump" or even "regulated power supply" for lots of examples. Your claim is that these devices don;t really exist, but the internet doesn't lie!
because nothing on the interenet would be dumbed down to simplify it... eh? good to know

Hang Fire

Post by Hang Fire » Mon Nov 28, 2016 8:03 am

You can post for days, but at the end, the function of a CPAP will still be to create a pressure in the airway. This is not a "gentle breeze".