Just received first electric bill using the Medical Baseline

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
SleepingBeauty

Just received first electric bill using the Medical Baseline

Post by SleepingBeauty » Wed Feb 14, 2007 11:21 am

I don't know if this is available in all areas, but through Southern California Edison, you can apply for a Medical Baseline Allocation when you use a CPAP machine.

There is a list of qualifying electrical life-saving equipment on their website, and CPAP is one of those listed items. I filled out the application, had my doctor sign it, and mailed it in.

My electric bill was substantially lower! Since I had to purchase my CPAP machine myself, and with the cost of masks, having a discount on my electric bill is a welcomed relief!

I told my boss about this (her husband uses CPAP) and she said her last bill was $100 lower!

I think it is worth checking to see if the power company in your area does this too.

Maryb

Post by Maryb » Wed Feb 14, 2007 11:44 am

I followed up on your suggestion and checked with PG&E here in SF and found that CPAP doesn't qualify for medical baseline here. Only life support equipment does.

Maryb

roster

Post by roster » Wed Feb 14, 2007 11:53 am

I told my boss about this (her husband uses CPAP) and she said her last bill was $100 lower!
If this is correct, that's $1200 per year savings (yeah, I am a math genius). There is no xpap equipment, including humidifier, that uses anywhere near that much electricity in a year.

I suspect that somewhere this is unfairly coming out of the hide of taxpayers.

But by all means, if it is legitimate, take advantage of it, I would if I could. In the meantime the legislature needs to change this.

cajapato

Post by cajapato » Wed Feb 14, 2007 12:02 pm

Here in FL, the FP&L only covers life support equipment. By covering, I mean that if you are registered, they will not turn off your power for non-payment. Quite magnanimous of them! They also offer suggestions for applying for payment assistance.
As far as the $100 per month, that would pay my entire electric bill and I have central air. My bill has shown little upward movement since my CPAP has been on.

SleepingBeauty

Post by SleepingBeauty » Wed Feb 14, 2007 12:51 pm

From what I understand, the Medical Baseline Allocation is basically an extension of your regular baseline.

That is, with proper documentation, they allow you more kilwatt-hours at the baseline rate as opposed to the higher rate.

In my region, that means 16.5 kWh allotted to the medical baseline. So I get charged my baseline rate for x number of kWh, plus the next 16.5 kWh OVER the baseline per day are considered medical and are charged at the same baseline rate. Nothing is free, just charged at the baseline rate because they know you are required to use them.

Mary, you are in California too, and I would assume they are required to grant medical baseline for the same items as SCE. I'd call and ask. On their the Southern California Edison website, it says "Apnea Monitor" qualifies as a life-saving device.

I would challenge that if they turned you down for a CPAP. My application clearly stated it was a CPAP, and my doctor marked down that it was required and would be used for the remainder of my life. I'd think it was worth trying to apply.

CPAPopedia Keywords Contained In This Post (Click For Definition): CPAP

Last edited by SleepingBeauty on Wed Feb 14, 2007 1:53 pm, edited 2 times in total.

tater pie

Post by tater pie » Wed Feb 14, 2007 1:21 pm

Wow! I wish I could get something like that! My electric bills are incredible during the summer but cpap has little to do with it. I've never even noticed my bill going up after I got a cpap. It's just blazing hot here! I'm glad you can get some help.

Goofproof

Post by Goofproof » Wed Feb 14, 2007 1:58 pm

rooster wrote:
If this is correct, that's $1200 per year savings (yeah, I am a math genius). There is no xpap equipment, including humidifier, that uses anywhere near that much electricity in a year.

I suspect that somewhere this is unfairly coming out of the hide of taxpayers.

But by all means, if it is legitimate, take advantage of it, I would if I could. In the meantime the legislature needs to change this.
It's a sweet deal for the receiver, but some poor people are having to pay the difference. Even with a O2 Pump working it's not close to what's used. $5 to $10 for XPAP and $20 for the O2 unit Max. My Electric bill is high, and it's $1400 a year ( With Air, Gas Heat) Jim

Use data to optimize your xPAP treatment!

"The art of medicine consists in amusing the patient while nature cures the disease." Voltaire

Post by Guest » Wed Feb 14, 2007 3:08 pm

Okay, I did a little more reading on the net, and apparently, California is one of the few states with a baseline rate and a higher rate, depending on usage.

Here in California, once you exceed a certain mandated limit of electric use, you are charged a much higher rate for all remaining electricity used that month. The medical baseline just allows you a little more electricity at the normal baseline rate before jumping to the higher rate.

I learned something today!

Linda3032

Post by Linda3032 » Wed Feb 14, 2007 4:25 pm

My sister in Calif. also used the Medical Baseline Allocation. But I thought she got it because she is low income.

She said she also gets something similar for her gas heat too.

Our Arkansas small co-op doesn't have anything like that, but we do get a "refund" every year because it's a Co-Op.

SleepingBeauty

Post by SleepingBeauty » Wed Feb 14, 2007 6:03 pm

Linda, they do have a CARE discount program for lower income people/families. She's probably on that.

They also have one called EMA (Energy Management Assistance) where they help a low income household purchase and install energy-efficient appliances and equipment - free to eligible customers. It's a very good program.

billbolton

Post by billbolton » Wed Feb 14, 2007 6:21 pm

The actual cost of electricity to run an xPAP and humdifier is probably $20 or so (tops) a quarter in most places in industrialised countries!

For those who live in NSW, Australia, there is a rebate available on your electricity bill if you are using CPAP. IIRC it saves me about A$14 per quarter off my power bill, which can run up to A$900 a quarter in winter.

Its a small, but none the less welcome, billing relief!

Cheers,

Bill

tomjax

california

Post by tomjax » Wed Feb 14, 2007 10:21 pm

This helps me better understand the big fiscal mess Ca is in.

But this is Ca where all the rules are different.

Post by Guest » Thu Feb 15, 2007 8:50 am

Consumers' Energy in Michigan has a reduced billing rate for life-support equipment such as an 02 concentrator. Running a concentrator runs about $30-$40 a month depending on the unit - and possibly the amount of 02 needed i.e. 2L vs 5L.

This reduced billing rate has been a blessing for us w/our limited income.

Patrick A

Post by Patrick A » Thu Feb 15, 2007 1:59 pm

[quote="Maryb"]I followed up on your suggestion and checked with PG&E here in SF and found that CPAP doesn't qualify for medical baseline here. Only life support equipment does.

Maryb

Mary
I live in San Diego and I get a baseline allowance for my CPAP.
I would check again with PG&E because your cpap is a DME and it does qualify for the discount and the Medical base line if PG&E keeps giving you bs call the Californis PUC and complain. Also call the local consumer reporter on the tv in San Francisco and bet that PG&E will change their tune quickly.

i used to live in Milpitas,Ca. and I also lived in Saratoga.

Don't Bend or Squash, My Aluminum Hat,it keeps them from knowing what I am thinking!
I need more Coffee&Old Bushmills!
"Without Truckdrivers America Stops!"
I'm not always wrong,but I'm not always right!
"Semper Fi"

Puddytat

Re:

Post by Puddytat » Wed Jun 27, 2012 1:00 am

Maryb wrote:I followed up on your suggestion and checked with PG&E here in SF and found that CPAP doesn't qualify for medical baseline here. Only life support equipment does.

Maryb
I would go back to them because a CPAP is a life support device and is supported here in Southern CA you just need to go back to them and ask why are you being discriminated against?