upper teeth loose and 40% bone lose

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
jackadair

upper teeth loose and 40% bone lose

Post by jackadair » Sat Mar 05, 2005 7:51 am

My mask has caused me to have a 40% bone lose in the upper part of my mouth and my front teeth are loose.

Liam1965

Post by Liam1965 » Sat Mar 05, 2005 11:20 am

Interesting, and I'm sorry if it's true, but could you give us some more information?

What kind of mask are you using? How exactly do they say the process of wearing your mask contributed to your bone loss? How long have you been using it?

Your message seems designed to spread fear and concern, and so I'd kind of like to hear some more information about it, before I start wondering whether CPAP is worth the cost.

Thanks,

Liam, suffering 40% brain loss and a fever right now.

SleepyGuy

Post by SleepyGuy » Thu Mar 10, 2005 12:52 am

During my years of trying anything to feel better, I accidentally found something that greatly improved my teeth and gums.

My dentist kept telling me my gums were in terrible shape. I had an infection between two teeth that cost me a lot of bone in that area. I was using a sonic-care brush, flossing and using mouthwash to no avail.

Last year I tried taking vitamin D for my fatigue. It didn't help my fatigue, but a few months later when I visited the dentist they were very pleased with the improvement in my gums. That was before the CPAP. I recently went again and they told me I had even more improvement. That was despite the fact I've gotten lazy and stopped using the SonicCare.

I found an article saying that vitamin D can cure gum inflammation.

I found that vitamin D can be tricky to take and if you increase it too quickly can make you feel worse. I started at 400 units per day and raised it by 400 units once a month until I got to 2,000 units where I am today. I avoid fish oil capsules and take Vitamin D allergy caps by TwinLab. You can find it on the net.

littlefeat

Post by littlefeat » Mon May 09, 2005 4:01 pm

I just got back from the dentist--the last three or four nights with the Activa have made my top front teeth and top front gums sore. I showed the dentist the Activa and how it "sucks" onto your face and is worn with the straps very loose, and doesn't seem to apply pressure below the nose. Nevertheless, he said that even slight pressure on the bone, even through the soft tissue, will cause fairly dramatic bone loss. He strongly recommended, as many of you already do, to get several interfaces with different pressure points and then rotate them to avoid a bone loss from accumulated impact of one interface used repeatedly for many nights in a row.

Just one more issue to manage in the course of taking care of our OSA...............
Fat Man in the Bathtub

Post by Guest » Mon May 09, 2005 4:04 pm

I think this is the third or fourth guest to post such things on cpaptalk. I don't get it. We all use this stuff and aside from a little hair loss, I haven't heard anyone non-guested come out and say this. However, I don't really see why the same guest would show up every two months and post this either.

In conclusion, WTF.

DCTom

Activa Makes My Teeth Hurt Too

Post by DCTom » Mon May 09, 2005 4:50 pm

The gums above my front teeth are also hurting due to the pressure of the Activa mask. I think it's probably a good idea to rotate masks.

littlefeat

Post by littlefeat » Mon May 09, 2005 4:59 pm

I didn't post as a guest, nimrod. But you did.
Fat Man in the Bathtub

Newsgrouper

Post by Newsgrouper » Mon May 09, 2005 5:01 pm

I only felt pressure on my upper lip until I realized just how loose I could keep the straps of the Activa. If you are feeling pain, and losing bone, I would say your mask is too tight IMHO.

littlefeat

Post by littlefeat » Mon May 09, 2005 5:04 pm

The dentist and I explored that in some detail. He said that ANY pressure (however slight) against bone for exptende dperiods of time will cause the bone to "resorb" into the body, which, trasnlated for laypeople, means bone loss. He also said that nutritional supplementation would not stave it off.
Fat Man in the Bathtub

littlefeat

Post by littlefeat » Mon May 09, 2005 5:06 pm

In other words, the pressure does not need to be uncormtable to be having an effect on bone structure.
Fat Man in the Bathtub

littlefeat

Post by littlefeat » Mon May 09, 2005 5:11 pm

Maybe some of our Activa vets, like RestedGal, could comment on their experience with pressure/soreness with respect to the bone mass above the teeth and below the nose.........

I'm just trying to help out here, not cause trouble.
Fat Man in the Bathtub

meister

Why do you think Rested Gal now wears dentures?

Post by meister » Mon May 09, 2005 5:18 pm

littlefeat

Post by littlefeat » Mon May 09, 2005 5:22 pm

Good point...........
Fat Man in the Bathtub

Fifi

Post by Fifi » Mon May 09, 2005 5:31 pm

I have spent a small fortune on my teeth. Has anybody else had this experience ie possible bone loss or loose teeth?

I find this very worrying. I would love more info.

IWannaSleep

Post by IWannaSleep » Mon May 09, 2005 6:23 pm

I had planned to discuss sleep apnea and oral appliances with my dentist at my next scheduled visit. It looks like this bone loss topic is another one worth raising with an expert. Since I'm sure everyone on this board sees the dentist regularly, I'd suggest talking about the bone loss issue, and everything else related to OSA over with them at your next scheduled checkup.
9 cm h2o