Why is antibacterial soap taboo

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
yawn

Why is antibacterial soap taboo

Post by yawn » Fri Aug 05, 2005 10:33 pm

I guess I don't understand why an antibacterial soap is bad for a mask. I usually wash my mask with Dial Complete because the soap is dispensed as a foam which is very easy to rinse off. Plus, I like the idea of using an antibacterial soap...don't want any bacteria on my mask.
Also, what's wrong with using a scented soap....like an apple scent?? As long as you rinse it well, it should be ok...shouldn't it?
Thanks,
Amy

IWannaSleep

Post by IWannaSleep » Sat Aug 06, 2005 1:13 am

The chemicals used in antibacterial soaps will cause the materials in your mask to break down and shorten it's life.

Ron
9 cm h2o

MaskedMan

Post by MaskedMan » Sat Aug 06, 2005 8:12 am

How does everyone clean their mask?

I know alcohol is bad, anti-bacterial is bad, scented is bad, moisturizer is bad, etc.However, I can't find a soap without some additive so have no idea what to use?? Even the baby products have some additives.

I have been using the Simple Step disentfectant and cleaner from CPAP.com but I believe that has alcohol so isn't great.

I have ongoing issues with seals deteriorating after only a few months and over time I've used Dial, Ivory, Simple Step, the citrus cleaner, etc - I can't say any are to blame but I've noticed no difference among using the various things - cleanliness, comfort, and life don't appear substantially changed between products.

Post by Guest » Sat Aug 06, 2005 10:13 am

For pages and pages on what people are using to clean their masks and hoses, click on this thread:

Cleaning CPAP Equipment

Flower51

Post by Flower51 » Sat Aug 06, 2005 10:29 am

I started out using ivory dishsoap...just barely a drop and then flushed with a lot of water. I did notice a slight film so I've switched to plain water w/a shot of vinegar and then another rinse. Works well, feels fresh. Terry

254/192/goal 145

m_l

Post by m_l » Sat Aug 06, 2005 10:40 am

I use Johnson's head to toe baby wash mild soap. I find that it cleans well and rinse's off easily.

Mike