Are all CPAP users disabled?

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
palerider

Re: Are all CPAP users disabled?

Post by palerider » Sun Aug 12, 2018 4:46 pm

noise wrote:
Sun Aug 12, 2018 4:37 pm
I suppose he sleeps 24 hours each day and doesn't have the time to become a useful member of the human race.
And then, there's you, denigrating veterans.

Accounts to put on the foe list: dataq1, clownbell, gearchange, lynninnj, mper!?, DreamDiver, Geer1, almostadoctor, sleepgeek, ajack, stom, mogy, D.H., They often post misleading, timewasting stuff.

Goofproof

Post by Goofproof » Sun Aug 12, 2018 4:50 pm

Midwest_non_sleeper wrote:
Sun Aug 12, 2018 4:32 pm
I'm a veteran with an Honorable Discharge and am on XPAP. Not disabled and will never be.
Not from Sleep Apnea (something that can be sucessfully dealt with), heart failure from not knowing about it, and other problems life throws at us. The V.A. is being used by the government as a welfare scam instead of it's true purpose to help problems of service caused damage.

My INS, I paid for handles my medical needs, the V.A. is my safety net. BTW: Thanks for your service, hope you are doing well. Jim
Use data to optimize your xPAP treatment!

"The art of medicine consists in amusing the patient while nature cures the disease." Voltaire

Midwest_non_sleeper

Post by Midwest_non_sleeper » Sun Aug 12, 2018 7:11 pm

Goofproof wrote:
Sun Aug 12, 2018 4:50 pm
I'm a veteran with an Honorable Discharge and am on XPAP. Not disabled and will never be.
Not from Sleep Apnea (something that can be sucessfully dealt with), heart failure from not knowing about it, and other problems life throws at us. The V.A. is being used by the government as a welfare scam instead of it's true purpose to help problems of service caused damage.

My INS, I paid for handles my medical needs, the V.A. is my safety net. BTW: Thanks for your service, hope you are doing well. Jim
I got out and signed the papers saying that I had nothing wrong with me upon my discharge, because there WAS nothing wrong with me. I'm not going to go back now and try to get Uncle Sam to pay for something that happened after my time in the service on the taxpayer's dime.

Goofproof

Post by Goofproof » Sun Aug 12, 2018 7:36 pm

Sun Aug 12, 2018 7:11 pm
Goofproof wrote:
Sun Aug 12, 2018 4:50 pm

I got out and signed the papers saying that I had nothing wrong with me upon my discharge, because there WAS nothing wrong with me. I'm not going to go back now and try to get Uncle Sam to pay for something that happened after my time in the service on the taxpayer's dime.
Ditto, we all had to sign that, or we couldn't go home. I feel the same way, I didn't like being drafted, but I did my duty, and made the best of it, learned a lot, grew up fast, I didn't count on being poisoned by out own country, (Not counting the food). For me the good out weighed the bad, and there was lots of bad, we overcame it. Jim

"The art of medicine consists in amusing the patient while nature cures the disease." Voltaire

greatunclebill

Post by greatunclebill » Sun Aug 12, 2018 7:43 pm

You're still pretty young. Repeat after me: "Never say never". Life happens, usually later rather than sooner.

please don't ask me to try nasal. i'm a full face person.
the avatar is Rocco, my Lhasa Apso. Number one "Bama fan. 18 championships and counting.
Life member VFW Post 4328 Alabama
MSgt USAF (E-7) medic Retired 1968-1990

RicaLynn

Post by RicaLynn » Sun Aug 12, 2018 8:08 pm

palerider wrote:
Sun Aug 12, 2018 4:21 pm
mileena wrote:
Sun Aug 12, 2018 3:45 pm
He said because he is a tied to the machine, he is disabled in the same way a person who is tied to an oxygen machine is disabled.
A thinking person would be able to easily see the difference in these.

Few people are "tied" to a cpap the way many people are 'tied', (literally, 24 hours a day) to oxygen supplementation. and while not having cpap will cause your health and energy to degrade, not having oxygen has an entirely different result.

But, again, that requires *thinking*.
43.9 years young, still working 40+ hrs/wk at a physically demanding job (CNA) and no plans to stop any time in the next 2 decades, God willing. I'd be hard-pressed to qualify under ANY criteria as disabled in any way.

palerider

Post by palerider » Sun Aug 12, 2018 8:11 pm

RicaLynn wrote:
Sun Aug 12, 2018 8:08 pm
palerider wrote:
Sun Aug 12, 2018 4:21 pm
mileena wrote:
Sun Aug 12, 2018 3:45 pm
He said because he is a tied to the machine, he is disabled in the same way a person who is tied to an oxygen machine is disabled.
A thinking person would be able to easily see the difference in these.

Few people are "tied" to a cpap the way many people are 'tied', (literally, 24 hours a day) to oxygen supplementation. and while not having cpap will cause your health and energy to degrade, not having oxygen has an entirely different result.

But, again, that requires *thinking*.
43.9 years young, still working 40+ hrs/wk at a physically demanding job (CNA) and no plans to stop any time in the next 2 decades, God willing. I'd be hard-pressed to qualify under ANY criteria as disabled in any way.
HEY Rica, good to see you again!

Accounts to put on the foe list: dataq1, clownbell, gearchange, lynninnj, mper!?, DreamDiver, Geer1, almostadoctor, sleepgeek, ajack, stom, mogy, D.H., They often post misleading, timewasting stuff.

Midwest_non_sleeper

Post by Midwest_non_sleeper » Sun Aug 12, 2018 8:18 pm

greatunclebill wrote:
Sun Aug 12, 2018 7:43 pm
You're still pretty young. Repeat after me: "Never say never". Life happens, usually later rather than sooner.
What I mean is, in the context of prior military service and XPAP therapy. I would never use that to try to get disability benefits after the fact. In my humble opinion, that's a morally bankrupt action.

trekwars2000

Post by trekwars2000 » Sun Aug 12, 2018 8:31 pm

While I wish you the best of luck, thats quite an assumption....

nanwilson

Post by nanwilson » Sun Aug 12, 2018 8:38 pm

After reading this thread I have come to a conclusion.....either Mileena is looking for a reason to stop therapy, or is another troll just trying to get rise out of this forum.
And for your info Mileena, I have multiple health problems including OSA and have NEVER considered myself handicapped in any way and never will. My motto is to accept whatever comes my way and deal with it the best way that I can. Perhaps you should accept that you need a cpap machine and DEAL with it... you are not disabled nor are you about to die. I assume that you are a big girl, if so, put on your big girl panties and either ditch therapy or embrace it.

palerider

Post by palerider » Sun Aug 12, 2018 8:48 pm

nanwilson wrote:
Sun Aug 12, 2018 8:38 pm
After reading this thread I have come to a conclusion.....either Mileena is looking for a reason to stop therapy, or is another troll just trying to get rise out of this forum.
And for your info Mileena, I have multiple health problems including OSA and have NEVER considered myself handicapped in any way and never will. My motto is to accept whatever comes my way and deal with it the best way that I can. Perhaps you should accept that you need a cpap machine and DEAL with it... you are not disabled nor are you about to die. I assume that you are a big girl, if so, put on your big girl panties and either ditch therapy or embrace it.
I like how one always knows where one stands with Nan, there's never any question.

raisedfist

Post by raisedfist » Sun Aug 12, 2018 8:50 pm

i don't think something that is pretty easily treated counts as a disability...

PS Min 6, PS Max 18, EPAP Min 4, EPAP Max 12

Stom

Post by Stom » Sun Aug 12, 2018 8:59 pm

raisedfist wrote:
Sun Aug 12, 2018 8:50 pm
i don't think something that is pretty easily treated counts as a disability...
It depends on the application, I suppose. Air Force pilots have to have 20/70 vision that is can be corrected with glasses to 20/20. I don't think not making the Air Force standard would make me "disabled" per se, but unable to be an Air Force pilot.

As to sleep apnea before service, at some point I would think that certain levels of sleep apnea would be incompatible with some types of field service. Can't really take your PAP machine with you on SEAL missions. But, again, while it could disqualify you from certain military occupations, there are others you could do. So, dunno.

There's lots on the web I didn't read about apnea from time during service, which is what I'd think the OP is about.
Official Foe™ on @Palerider's public list of foes. ;-)

Rules to live by: Be wary of anyone boasting their behavior is like that of a fictional sociopath.

Goofproof

Post by Goofproof » Sun Aug 12, 2018 9:06 pm

Life gives us all limitations, you probably can't function as a rocket science expert with a IQ of 85, Maybe! But you aren't disabled and can work and support yourself. It might take effort, everything worthwhile seems to take effort! JIm

Wulfman...

Post by Wulfman... » Sun Aug 12, 2018 9:37 pm

mileena wrote:
Sun Aug 12, 2018 3:08 pm

So is everyone here disabled or retired?
Well, before I started on CPAP therapy, I was close to becoming "disabled" from years of untreated Obstructive Sleep Apnea.
Shortly after starting CPAP therapy, I began feeling like I was returning to the "Land of the Living".

I've been retired for nine years now.
Without this therapy, I would probably have been dead years ago.
The years of sleeping with such low levels of oxygen really took a toll. Sleep Apnea will kill you slooooooowly or quickly. But at least with XPAP therapy, the odds get better for living a little longer than without.

For most of us, this therapy became "second nature" very quickly.

Den

(5) REMstar Autos w/C-Flex & (6) REMstar Pro 2 CPAPs w/C-Flex - Pressure Setting = 14 cm.
"Passover" Humidification - ResMed Ultra Mirage FF - Encore Pro w/Card Reader & MyEncore software - Chiroflow pillow
User since 05/14/05