I cant wait to get on the hose

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
jackr

I cant wait to get on the hose

Post by jackr » Fri Jan 19, 2007 11:20 am

I have really noticed a loss in my ability to learn and memory and mental sharpness.

For a while I was blaming it on age. I am 46. My hobby is playing the guitar and I could memorize a song after just playing it a couple of times. No more, it takes me a long time to memorize something now.

I am very concerned because in about 60 to 90 days I am selling my company starting a new job as the COO of a multi million dollar public corporation. The way I feel now I am wondering my capabilities. I know I am capable but could be a lot more so I believe. I have very little motivation and focus, plus I am tired all the time.

I dont even have the energy to excercise anymore. For a while I was thinking that it was a cycle that the more I excercise the more energy I would have. Or now that I am not exercising it is the reason I have no energy. But really excercise just made me so tired that I would struggle driving 10 minutes home from work and would close my eyes for a second or two at red lights.

Unfortunately, I think I am hoping for an instant miracle once I get started on my therapy and I know that is unlikely. But I am really hoping that in 60 to 90 days I will feel much better to start the new job.

I still have to go for my second sleep study and order a machine. So I know that will take another couple of weeks. I am not happy about having to use a machine to help me sleep the rest of my life but it has to be better that what is happening now.

I'm really struggling here and have been fighting a lot with my wife.

Can anyone relate or share some encouragement?

Last edited by jackr on Fri Jan 19, 2007 1:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Nitro Dan

Post by Nitro Dan » Fri Jan 19, 2007 11:26 am

I've been on CPAP for over 20 years now, and I had an instant miracle the very first night of treatment. I have never looked back. This is something you learn to live with. Get your study done, get your machine, and get your life back...

Over 20 years in treatment...
Humidified REMstar Plus at 18 cm
Mirage Swift Nasal Pillow System....A Winner!

oldgearhead

Post by oldgearhead » Fri Jan 19, 2007 12:18 pm

Get your study done, get your machine, and get your life back...
You can't say it better than that. Thanks Nitro Dan..and we are here to help with the small stuff.

Best of luck jackr.

People have more fun than anybody..

Maryb

Post by Maryb » Fri Jan 19, 2007 12:48 pm

Once I started treatment, I almost instantly felt better.
I can't believe how much energy I have now. No more falling asleep in the day.
No more feeling sick and dragging around in the morning.
Before treatment, I just thought that all the tiredness, insomnia and sick feeling was part of getting older. NOT SO!
CPAP treatment is one of the best things that has happened to me.
So hang in there and prepare to reclaim your life!

Note that CPAP therapy takes tweaking to get it to work best and improve the comfort level. There is lots of information available on this message board.
Everyone here has been there before and there is alot of support and help to be found here. I have gotten far more information and help from this message board than from my DME. So visit often and don't hesitate to ask questions.
Good luck!

Maryb

dataq1

Post by dataq1 » Fri Jan 19, 2007 12:55 pm

Boy, can I relate.
(maybe not about the COO position)
As I'm sure just about everyone else on the forum.
You may have instant (or near instant) success, or it may take a while.
And if it does take a while, keep trying, JUST DON"T GIVE UP!
Good luck, and keep checking with the folks here at the forum.
Cheers,

rested gal

Post by rested gal » Fri Jan 19, 2007 12:59 pm

Hi jackr,

You may have already seen this clickable link --

http://www.smart-sleep-apnea.blogspot.com
Mile High Sleeper's great information resource for cpap users.

littlebaddow posted a good account of his beginning days with cpap:

Diary of a new hoser.

jackr, you might notice immediate improvement as some of us have. Or it might take a long time of gradually getting better.

Sometimes in the beginning, the sleep disruptions from getting used to the equipment, finding a mask that suits you, and becoming accustomed to this strange new way of trying to sleep can leave a person just as worn out, or more so, than before.

However it goes for you at the start, you're doing the right thing for yourself. And it will get better and better.

Good luck and keep reading/posting!
ResMed S9 VPAP Auto (ASV)
Humidifier: Integrated + Climate Control hose
Mask: Aeiomed Headrest (deconstructed, with homemade straps
3M painters tape over mouth
ALL LINKS by rested gal:
viewtopic.php?t=17435

Mile High Sleeper

getting better

Post by Mile High Sleeper » Fri Jan 19, 2007 12:59 pm

jackr,

sounds like you're in the Walking Dead stage right now. For encouragement, see the light bulb above/our collective wisdom, help for new or struggling users, and read the 4 articles under how long until I feel better:
cpaptalk-articles/31/Help-For-New-or-St ... Users.html

Your new cpap therary should greatly help your work efforts.

Problems cannot be solved at the same level of awareness that created them. - Albert Einstein

Do not wait for leaders; do it alone, person to person. - Mother Teresa

jackr

Post by jackr » Fri Jan 19, 2007 1:06 pm

Thanks for the encouragement. I have read all that. I have spent all my spare time recently doing as much reading as possible and really appreciate the links.

telly

Post by telly » Fri Jan 19, 2007 1:18 pm

jackr wrote:Thanks for the encouragement. I have read all that. I have spent all my spare time recently doing as much reading as possible and really appreciate the links.
Keep at your goal Jack. You are on the right path. I'm a new hosehead and felt relief even after my sleep study and only being 3 hours on the hose. It's a strange sensation having an alert brain in the morning, and then throughout the day. I used to avoid driving in the late afternoon, now I go for "canyon running" in my classic Z just for fun!

You will get your life back. I bet you and your wife will come back together too. You'll stop being so grouchy and might, in fact, get a little frisky. And you'll stop fretting about the new job. You'll have hope and new energy that will smooth the transistion.

I do music too: play guitar and mess around with software like Logic and Garageband. Recently, I've gotten back into playing brass again. I think it's going to be good for my heart and lungs. Nothing healthier than playing LOUD.

Rise Above Jack. You're almost there my friend.

Who Loves Ya Baby?
telly

Rabid1

Post by Rabid1 » Fri Jan 19, 2007 1:23 pm

Better days are coming...
Wake me up when this is over...

puffing billy

Post by puffing billy » Fri Jan 19, 2007 2:06 pm

I can relate to the fear of CPAP, the whole idea seemed to repel me.
A machine to help you breath and a very strange looking mask, how can you sleep?
The answer is, very well.
Initially after a few blips I slept for 8 hours each night, and when I say sleep, I mean out like a light. No nighttime toilet trips just out from lights out to alarm.
However there will be a number of small problems, like leaking masks, water in the pipe, mouth breathing etc. These can be got over.

The difference will be noticeable maybe not at first, but they will come.
My work colleagues say I don't look grey anymore, I now have real colour.
That came around the six months mark.

With the help of people on the forum you CPAP equipment will become your friend.

Billy

telly

Post by telly » Fri Jan 19, 2007 2:14 pm

puffing billy wrote:My work colleagues say I don't look grey anymore, I now have real colour. That came around the six months mark.
How interesting. Do you suppose that the "gray" colour is from O2 deprivation?

Who Loves Ya Baby?
telly

Goofproof

Post by Goofproof » Fri Jan 19, 2007 2:20 pm

telly wrote:
puffing billy wrote:My work colleagues say I don't look grey anymore, I now have real colour. That came around the six months mark.
Sleep Apnea, kills you by inches. Poor body repair, shortages of O2, all critical systems affected.... Then you fall asleep in the car, and are run over by a Bus... Maybe! Jim
Use data to optimize your xPAP treatment!

"The art of medicine consists in amusing the patient while nature cures the disease." Voltaire

KeziasPurr

Post by KeziasPurr » Fri Jan 19, 2007 3:10 pm

Hi Jack!

I've only been on my Bi-pap for a week now. I'm still having trouble staying asleep, but when I do sleep, it's really deep. And I wake in the morning refreshed.

From what I've read here, it takes commitment for CPAP to work. For some it's instantaneous and for others (like me) it's a bit slower. Just hang in there and reap the rewards.

Best of luck to you!

roster

Post by roster » Fri Jan 19, 2007 4:15 pm

telly wrote:
Before I was diagnosed, I would look in the mirror while shaving many mornings and see an ashen face. I normally have a fairly dark complexion and get a nice tan easily. I was beginning to think maybe your body can't keep a tan when you get older.

I also noticed our minister on many Sunday mornings would look ashen in a death-like way. Like me he has now been diagnosed and is cpap compliant. I still look at him each Sunday and am happy to say he has some skin color now.

I have always assumed the ashen look was due to low blood-oxygen levels but would be interested to hear from anyone who knows better.

BTW, on the mornings I noticed I had an ashen face, when I brushed my teeth at night I would notice it wasn't as ashen. I had not rested or slept during the day so I assume the blood-oxygen levels rebuild after a few hours.