Is a longer hose better?

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
SnoreNoMore2005

Is a longer hose better?

Post by SnoreNoMore2005 » Mon Aug 29, 2005 8:24 pm

Does anyone use the 10' hose? I think most cpaps come with a 6'. I was wondering if there's any difference in pressure or settings when switching from a 6' to a 10' hose.

The 6' doesn't quite reach over my headboard.

is there any downside to using a 10' vs 6' hose? Or is it true that hose size doesn't matter?

SnoreNoMore2005

CPAPopedia Keywords Contained In This Post (Click For Definition): hose

gracie97

Re: Is a longer hose better?

Post by gracie97 » Mon Aug 29, 2005 8:36 pm

I was wondering if there's any difference in pressure or settings when switching from a 6' to a 10' hose.
I just ordered a 10 footer from cpap.com a few minutes ago. Their blurb about it indicated that there is only a negligible reduction in pressure with a 10' hose. And given that cpap.com seems to take a cautious view of interfaces that might throw off autos or reduce pressure (e.g. their warning about using the Nasalaire II with autos), I feel safe going with a 10' hose.

If you use an auto and software, perhaps you can monitor your results with a 10 foot hose and determine whether or not you need to up the pressure settings a bit to compensate.

[My reason for wanting a 10 foot hose: Am planning to run my hose through a counter-weighted hose boom in an attempt to reduce torque on the hose to minimum possible.]
Started CPAP on 7/1/2005
Mild apnea
Plus upper airway resistance syndrome with severe alpha intrusion

john5757

Post by john5757 » Mon Aug 29, 2005 8:44 pm

Soem of the Auto like the ResMed Spirit can handle a 10' hose without a issue since it does has a setting for hose length. I just order a 10' hose a few days ago.

CPAPopedia Keywords Contained In This Post (Click For Definition): resmed, hose, auto

MartiniLover

Post by MartiniLover » Mon Aug 29, 2005 8:48 pm

I use the 10 footer, attached to my 5 foot Comfort Curve. Gives me plenty of room to wind up in the hose as I turn over. I consider my self a roller. I start on my left side, roll down, and over to my right and then over to my back for a little while, then start over. Many a time I wake up with it around my neck a couple of times.

I like it. Well worth while to buy.

Bipap 13/9, 10ft Hose

WAFlowers

Post by WAFlowers » Tue Aug 30, 2005 4:54 am

MartiniLover wrote:Many a time I wake up with it around my neck a couple of times.
And this is a good thing?!?!?!? Do you dream of having constrictor snakes trying to choke you?
The CPAPer formerly known as WAFlowers

MartiniLover

Post by MartiniLover » Tue Aug 30, 2005 6:12 am

With the Comfort Curve there is only a 5 foot hose. First night, I pulled the machine off the night stand. With six foot hose (standard) I have come apart from the machine many times. With long hose I just snooze away. Works for me.

Bipap 13/9, 10ft Hose

Sleepless on LI

Post by Sleepless on LI » Tue Aug 30, 2005 6:52 am

With the Comfort Curve there is only a 5 foot hose.
I thought all machine hoses come with the machine, not the mask. What am I interpretting incorrectly here? Your CC came with the machine hose? YES, I CAN be thick sometimes, all right???? Be gentle with me, please. Sometimes I need some additional clarification .

L o R i

WillSucceed

Post by WillSucceed » Tue Aug 30, 2005 6:57 am

Comfort Curve comes with its own hose.

Buy a new hat, drink a good wine, treat yourself, and someone you love, to a new bauble, live while you are alive... you never know when the mid-town bus is going to have your name written across its front bumper!

Sleepless on LI

Post by Sleepless on LI » Tue Aug 30, 2005 7:00 am

Comfort Curve comes with its own hose.
Thanks, WS. Is it specific to the mask? I've never heard of something like that. So you are unable to use the one that comes with your machine? Does it have a special point of attachment to the mask itself? Hmm, you learn something new every day. And why do they chop one foot of their hose? Not expecting you to know the answer to the last question, actually. Just stating my curiosity.

L o R i

Post by Guest » Tue Aug 30, 2005 8:43 am

Comfort Curve as seen on cpap.com:
It comes complete with 3 cushion sizes, headgear, and an exclusive tubing system.

Provides a lightweight and flexible connection to the device that is less likely to pull on the interface or disrupt the seal.

WillSucceed

Post by WillSucceed » Tue Aug 30, 2005 9:07 am

The hose is an integrated part of the Comfort Curve mask. You don't use your own hose with it.

Who knows why they shortened the hose. I've pretty much given up trying to figure out Respironics.

Nuff said.

Buy a new hat, drink a good wine, treat yourself, and someone you love, to a new bauble, live while you are alive... you never know when the mid-town bus is going to have your name written across its front bumper!

john5757

Post by john5757 » Tue Aug 30, 2005 11:35 am

[quote="WillSucceed"]The hose is an integrated part of the Comfort Curve mask. You don't use your own hose with it.

Who knows why they shortened the hose. I've pretty much given up trying to figure out Respironics.

Nuff said.

Companies are just trying to save a penny here and there and drives me batty. I also do not understand why this mask costs more than the others and why they even bother with a color option.

christinequilts

Re: Is a longer hose better?

Post by christinequilts » Tue Aug 30, 2005 11:51 am

SnoreNoMore2005 wrote: Or is it true that hose size doesn't matter?
Size does matter...at least if you're over 10 ft...Any longer and you risk the machine misreading what is happening at your end and not just with AutoPap, Cflex, & BiPAPs. If a straight CPAP thinks it senses a large leak it can give you too much pressure trying to compensate when you don't need it. Here's the CPAPopedia info on hoses & hose length: viewtopic.php?t=2347

A tip if you can't get your local DME to supply longer hoses you can add a short humidifier hose to give you more length without going over the 10ft limit. Since my insurance pays 100% its cheaper for me to do this then order a hose online and pay shipping and all.

If you find it hard to connect the rubbery ends of the hoses to your mask, xPAP, or humidifier use hose quick connects on each end. Local DMEs will sometimes include one for the machine end of your hose, but not always. Mine will give me two with each new hose but I have to remember to ask for them. I learned my leson when I broke the connector stem off a F&P humidifier container while trying to remove it carefully so now I have them on all my hoses. If the connection to the mask slips out too easy I find a little piece of electical tape on the mask connector tightens it up great while still be able to remove it easily when I need to disconnect. Cpap.com has them- https://www.cpap.com/productpage/hose-q ... nnect.html though ironcially my local DME actually charges less...I think it was $2.50 each when a friend bought some for her mothers xPAP hoses. I also use a Quick Conect as a poor mans hose connector to hook a clean hose on to the one already in the hose cover...it sure beats having to thread the hose through the hard way.

CPAPopedia Keywords Contained In This Post (Click For Definition): humidifier, hose, cpap.com, cflex, CPAP, DME, clean

SnoreNoMore...............10' Hose

Post by Guest » Tue Aug 30, 2005 12:31 pm

Snore:

I have the 10' hose purchased from CPAP.COM for $11.99 i believe! Have had NO PROBLEM at all with it hooked up to my equipment listed below as well as when used with the PB420 fixed pressure machine! Also the extra length makes the whole process much better in my opinion.

Best to you,
steve,
ufo13

SnoreNoMore2005.....Got guested!!!

Post by Guest » Tue Aug 30, 2005 12:35 pm

SnoreNoMore2005:

That was me above! Got Guested again!

steve,
ufo13