nasal congestion

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
natbornsirvivr

nasal congestion

Post by natbornsirvivr » Sat Jan 20, 2007 11:56 am

hello everyone
my name is art i use a cpap i started out at a 20 psi now after 3 yrs im down too 16 setting lately my nose has been so clogged when i go too bed i been useing afrin over the counter nose spray and now it is at the point where my nose is bleeding does anyone else have this trouble if so give me som ehints on what too do i was thinking about putting vicks rub in my humidifier ???? im lost can anyone help i wanna get away from this nose spray im a new member here i just started today if anyone has a answer please let me know thanks

Hurricane

Post by Hurricane » Sat Jan 20, 2007 12:09 pm

Please take the time to fill in your profile, this way others know what kind of masks, humidifier, etc. you have, and why after all this time are you having this problem. Did you change masks or any other things that you had been doing. Let us know and hopefully someone has an answer.
Hurricane

bookwrm63

Post by bookwrm63 » Sat Jan 20, 2007 12:10 pm

Hi Nat and welcome!

First off, STOP the Afrin! Using a nasal decongestant spray like that more than 3 nights in a row can just make it worse due to the rebound effect. Most folks here use a saline rinse or spray to help with congestion. Also, pick up some AYR saline gel with aloe and use liberally inside the nose. That should relieve the discomfort. Also, try plain Sudafed about 1 hour before bedtime to help with congestion.
At the top of this page, you can click on SEARCH and then put in keywords like NASAL AND congestion and you will get more info from past posts here.
Also, it's best to fill out your profile so people here can help you better if they know what type mask and machine you are using.
Good luck!!

btolman

Post by btolman » Sat Jan 20, 2007 12:59 pm

Also search on "NETI POT" and get one. I had a cold and it was amazing the difference a sinus rinse made.

Craig-Tx

Post by Craig-Tx » Sat Jan 20, 2007 1:03 pm

I would like to add that NOTHING goes in the humidifier other than distilled water. I've seen this question come up a lot, and there are many many posts relating to this. The simple fact is that items such as Vicks are meant do be diffused in the air around you not forced straight up the nose. I have heard some people recomend that if you feel you must use something of the like, put a small amount on a cotton ball or something about a foot or so away from the CPAP air inlet.

As mentione before, there are a LOT of posts about nasal congestion on the forum. I have been coming off of a head cold and have been battling it myself. Based on a recomendation on here, I tried nasal irrigation (neti pot) prior to going to bed. I would have to say that the actual process isn't what I would call pleasent (although the more I do it the more I get used to it.) However, the results are quite good. Check out the how-to video on their website http://www.sinucleanse.com/. There is also a $2 coupon for printing.

You didn't mention if you use a humidifier. This may also help. One reason the other recomended that you fill out the profile.

If all else fails, you might try a full face mask until the nose clears up.

Good Luck,

Additional Comments: Started PAP on 1/16/07. - Typical 90% pressure ~ 10 cm H20

ca_hosehead

Post by ca_hosehead » Sat Jan 20, 2007 1:14 pm

All the above are good suggestions. The Afrin will damage your nose with long term use.

I would go see an Ear-Nose-Throat Dr and have him take a look up there and see what is going on. There are several possibilities.

Turbinates are structures inside the nose that moisten and warm the air on the way in. They can become enlarged and block airflow. Nasal polyps (benign tumors) are a possibility as is a deviated septum.

These are all things besides the usual "too much mucous" that could the causing the problem.

You could also get some temporary relief by sleeping in a recliner. Less blood goes to the head and the turbinates stay smaller than they do when you lie down. I don't recommend it for the long term but it could help to get you off the Afrin.

natbornsirvivr

nasla congestion

Post by natbornsirvivr » Sat Jan 20, 2007 1:24 pm

thank you all im gonna try neti pot im filling out my profile as we speak thanks again

natbornsirvivr

my machine

Post by natbornsirvivr » Sat Jan 20, 2007 1:30 pm

im sorry everyone my machine is too old too post on my profile it is a resmed s6 with side humidifier that is like a plastic round jug with two hose ports looking too get a new one gotta seee if medicare will provide

i have a resmed s6 with side humidifier

natbornsirvivr

nasal congestion

Post by natbornsirvivr » Sat Jan 20, 2007 6:37 pm

hey craig from tx thanks for the tip on sinuclean i went out bought it and tried it once already gonna do it again in 2 hrs man let me tell u about a wierd situation and i also picked up some ocean nasal saline solution i threw out the afrin thanks everyone for ur help i checked into getting a new machine like a s8 but i had my machine 3 yrs they say medicare wont replace it for two more yrs so ill wait its been doing me ok for this long thanks again everyone

i have a resmed s6 with side humidifier

jskinner

Re: nasal congestion

Post by jskinner » Sat Jan 20, 2007 9:58 pm

natbornsirvivr wrote:i threw out the afrin thanks everyone for ur help
I hope your rebound is not too bad if you stopped cold turkey. Stopping one nostril at a time can be easier to handle if you have problems.

gracie97

Post by gracie97 » Sat Jan 20, 2007 10:03 pm

i also picked up some ocean nasal saline solution
My very sensitive sinuses didn't react too well to that stuff. Think the problem is the preservative. Simply Saline which has no preservatives helped more.

I ate a lot of fresh garlic the last time I had a head cold, and that worked wonderfully! For several hours after each dose -- one large pressed clove, raw, just swallowed with water - my sinuses would be much clearer. And garlic is extremely nutritious: A clove or two at bedtime would make a great addition to one's diet.
Started CPAP on 7/1/2005
Mild apnea
Plus upper airway resistance syndrome with severe alpha intrusion

Vader

Post by Vader » Sun Jan 21, 2007 10:05 pm

gracie97 wrote:
i also picked up some ocean nasal saline solution
My very sensitive sinuses didn't react too well to that stuff. Think the problem is the preservative. Simply Saline which has no preservatives helped more.

I ate a lot of fresh garlic the last time I had a head cold, and that worked wonderfully! For several hours after each dose -- one large pressed clove, raw, just swallowed with water - my sinuses would be much clearer. And garlic is extremely nutritious: A clove or two at bedtime would make a great addition to one's diet.

I agree that Simply Saline is a GREAT product. I prefer it over all others.
Breathe Right strips help me quite a bit also.

Garlic is also really good for controling cholestrol and BP.

Afrin can really be bad news. I would only use that stuff in an emergency, and only for no more than three days.

Vader