Looking for a new machine. So many new models!

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
acidragon
Posts: 116
Joined: Sun Feb 03, 2013 10:08 pm

Looking for a new machine. So many new models!

Post by acidragon » Sun Feb 11, 2018 12:52 pm

Hey everyone, so its been a while since I've been on this forum. I'm due for a new machine now and was a bit lost on what to request from my supplier. I used the respironics system one with no heated tubed for five years with the fx nasal pillows for the most part. I think I do want to try a heated tube this time since a did have a few waterboarding experiences over the years. I also would maybe want to try a new mask too. I used the fx with the nano tube joints (better swivel) for a better fit but I do get leaks. Any advice on what I should start looking towards would be helpful.

So glad to see pugsy is still here!!! Not sure if you still remember me but I sent you some provent samples when they came out and we both hated them! The community here has always been more helpful than the doctors... crazy.

_________________
MaskHumidifier

User avatar
palerider
Posts: 17841
Joined: Wed Dec 16, 2009 5:43 pm
Location: Dallas(ish).
Contact:

Re: Looking for a new machine. So many new models!

Post by palerider » Sun Feb 11, 2018 12:56 pm

acidragon wrote:Hey everyone, so its been a while since I've been on this forum. I'm due for a new machine now and was a bit lost on what to request from my supplier. I used the respironics system one with no heated tubed for five years with the fx nasal pillows for the most part. I think I do want to try a heated tube this time since a did have a few waterboarding experiences over the years. I also would maybe want to try a new mask too. I used the fx with the nano tube joints (better swivel) for a better fit but I do get leaks. Any advice on what I should start looking towards would be helpful.
If you like the way your current machine works, go for a respironics dreamstation auto.

if you'd like to try something potentially a bit better, go for a resmed airsense 10 autoset.

_________________
Mask: AirFit™ P10 Nasal Pillow CPAP Mask with Headgear
Additional Comments: S9 Vpap Auto

User avatar
Pugsy
Posts: 42713
Joined: Thu May 14, 2009 9:31 am
Location: Missouri, USA

Re: Looking for a new machine. So many new models!

Post by Pugsy » Sun Feb 11, 2018 1:41 pm

Good to see you again.
I remember the Provent samples but had forgotten who had sent them...that was an experiment for both of us that didn't work out so great.

Narrow your search to the 2 models Palerider recommended. Pretty much can't go wrong with either.

Refresh my memory please...what pressure setting(s) are you using? That might help a person lean towards one brand over the other if you use or need or like exhale relief.
I have used both brands...the PR S1 like you are using and the current ResMed AutoSense 10 AutoSet
haven't seen a DreamStation though but except for the cosmetic changes and the heated hose and more customizable humidity settings I don't think that much changed in terms of how it functions or goes about doing its job.
I lean towards preferring the ResMed myself but either one would get the job done. I just happen to like the ResMed exhale relief better and the algorithm it uses for auto adjusting the pressure a little better for my needs.

If you want to stick with what you know works well and don't like trying new stuff...get another Respironics.
If you are curious and like to try new things...try the ResMed. Each one has very minor pros and cons differences but none are deal breakers.
I wouldn't consider any other brands though especially if insurance is paying the bill. You really can't go wrong with either of the 2 main players in the cpap machine market.
I may have to RISE but I refuse to SHINE.

acidragon
Posts: 116
Joined: Sun Feb 03, 2013 10:08 pm

Re: Looking for a new machine. So many new models!

Post by acidragon » Sun Feb 11, 2018 7:29 pm

My pressures were set at factory default until I came here and started monitoring my own sleep with sleepyhead. I have mine at 7.5 for the last four years. Any advice on a better or newer mask for a nose breather? Thanks

Also would it be wise to wait maybe for a newer model to come out since these models have been out for a couple of years?

_________________
MaskHumidifier

User avatar
Pugsy
Posts: 42713
Joined: Thu May 14, 2009 9:31 am
Location: Missouri, USA

Re: Looking for a new machine. So many new models!

Post by Pugsy » Sun Feb 11, 2018 7:54 pm

We have no idea when the next "new" model will be released.
When the new models do get released I don't look for anything earth shattering in terms of new way of doing their job. Even now except for the packaging the only thing really new with the ResMed was the new special auto adjusting algorithm available in addition to the regular auto adjusting algorithm.
With Respironics they didn't change the algorithm or really add anything critically new with the DreamStation.
Some minor new setting choices were made but nothing hugely different in terms of how the machine actually works.
Up to you if you want to wait.

Are you still using that mask you have in your profile?
There are a lot of newer nasal models you might check out. Do you need or like that forehead support thingy? That would be a deal breaker for sure me...but I understand that some people just love it (even though I silently wonder why :lol: :lol: )

Anyway...in terms of new nasal cushion types of masks.

Respironics has the DreamWear which offers an under the nose cushion or gel pillow option.
https://www.cpap.com/productpage/pr-dre ... -pack.html

ResMed has the fairly new N20
https://www.cpap.com/productpage/resmed ... dgear.html

F & P ESON is fairly new
https://www.cpap.com/productpage/fisher ... -mask.html

Or just take a stroll through cpap.com inventory for nasal cushion masks and see what looks interesting to you.
https://www.cpap.com/cpap-masks/nasal-cpap-mask.php

I don't have a lot of experience with the over the nose cushions like you use. I don't like anything on my nasal bridge area so I still with nasal pillows or even would prefer the under the nose cushion of the DreamWear over something that covers my nose.
I may have to RISE but I refuse to SHINE.

Janknitz
Posts: 6692
Joined: Sat Mar 20, 2010 1:05 pm

Re: Looking for a new machine. So many new models!

Post by Janknitz » Sun Feb 11, 2018 8:18 pm

I used a Respironics System One auto for 6 years and when I got a new one my HMO had switched to ResMed Autosets. I like the ResMed so much better! The algorithm is much more comfortable, it's quieter, and gives more information. It accepts a slimline hose, and it seems to me that it might be easier to add the heated hose although I don't use one.

CAVEAT: I am comparing the ResMed Autoset to the older model Respironics so it's not apples to apples.
What you need to know before you meet your DME http://tinyurl.com/2arffqx
Taming the Mirage Quattro http://tinyurl.com/2ft3lh8
Swift FX Fitting Guide http://tinyurl.com/22ur9ts
Don't Pay that Upcharge! http://tinyurl.com/2ck48rm

clintskin
Posts: 3
Joined: Sun Feb 11, 2018 11:01 pm

Re: Looking for a new machine. So many new models!

Post by clintskin » Sun Feb 11, 2018 11:08 pm

Hey everyone i'm new to this forum and I don't have CPAP anymore. wondering what I can do with my brand new CPAP respironics philips A-Flex never used because I had a older model that I was using and got this thinking I was going to use this one. I see some on ebay being sold but don't you need a prescription?

User avatar
greatunclebill
Posts: 1141
Joined: Mon Feb 20, 2012 7:48 pm
Location: L.A. (lower alabama)

Re: Looking for a new machine. So many new models!

Post by greatunclebill » Sun Feb 11, 2018 11:16 pm

i strongly recommend the s-10 autoset, having come from the system one myself. Remember when comparing models, that most insurance pays by billing code. So no matter what CPAP or APAP you get or what price you think it costs, they are all the same price to the insurance company and to your cost share.

_________________
Machine: AirSense™ 10 AutoSet™ CPAP Machine with HumidAir™ Heated Humidifier
Mask: Quattro™ FX Full Face CPAP Mask with Headgear
Additional Comments: myAir, sleephead. cms-50D+. (2009) remstar plus m series backup
please don't ask me to try nasal. i'm a full face person.

the avatar is Rocco, my Lhasa Apso. Number one "Bama fan.

MSgt USAF (E-7) Retired 1968-1990

User avatar
greatunclebill
Posts: 1141
Joined: Mon Feb 20, 2012 7:48 pm
Location: L.A. (lower alabama)

Re: Looking for a new machine. So many new models!

Post by greatunclebill » Sun Feb 11, 2018 11:19 pm

clintskin wrote:Hey everyone i'm new to this forum and I don't have CPAP anymore. wondering what I can do with my brand new CPAP respironics philips A-Flex never used because I had a older model that I was using and got this thinking I was going to use this one. I see some on ebay being sold but don't you need a prescription?
Remind us about why you think you don't need your new cpap machine. we've heard this story many times.

_________________
Machine: AirSense™ 10 AutoSet™ CPAP Machine with HumidAir™ Heated Humidifier
Mask: Quattro™ FX Full Face CPAP Mask with Headgear
Additional Comments: myAir, sleephead. cms-50D+. (2009) remstar plus m series backup
please don't ask me to try nasal. i'm a full face person.

the avatar is Rocco, my Lhasa Apso. Number one "Bama fan.

MSgt USAF (E-7) Retired 1968-1990

clintskin
Posts: 3
Joined: Sun Feb 11, 2018 11:01 pm

Re: Looking for a new machine. So many new models!

Post by clintskin » Mon Feb 12, 2018 12:41 am

greatunclebill wrote:
clintskin wrote:Hey everyone i'm new to this forum and I don't have CPAP anymore. wondering what I can do with my brand new CPAP respironics philips A-Flex never used because I had a older model that I was using and got this thinking I was going to use this one. I see some on ebay being sold but don't you need a prescription?
Remind us about why you think you don't need your new cpap machine. we've heard this story many times.
I've lost about 28 lbs and quit smoking. things have been good so far but maybe I just assume i'm better

User avatar
greatunclebill
Posts: 1141
Joined: Mon Feb 20, 2012 7:48 pm
Location: L.A. (lower alabama)

Re: Looking for a new machine. So many new models!

Post by greatunclebill » Mon Feb 12, 2018 9:44 am

clintskin wrote:
greatunclebill wrote:
clintskin wrote:Hey everyone i'm new to this forum and I don't have CPAP anymore. wondering what I can do with my brand new CPAP respironics philips A-Flex never used because I had a older model that I was using and got this thinking I was going to use this one. I see some on ebay being sold but don't you need a prescription?
Remind us about why you think you don't need your new cpap machine. we've heard this story many times.
I've lost about 28 lbs and quit smoking. things have been good so far but maybe I just assume i'm better
Talk to your doctor before you do anything. No matter what you do, do not sell your brand new equipment . history tells us you will be re-buying your equipment at full retail price sooner rather than later.

_________________
Machine: AirSense™ 10 AutoSet™ CPAP Machine with HumidAir™ Heated Humidifier
Mask: Quattro™ FX Full Face CPAP Mask with Headgear
Additional Comments: myAir, sleephead. cms-50D+. (2009) remstar plus m series backup
please don't ask me to try nasal. i'm a full face person.

the avatar is Rocco, my Lhasa Apso. Number one "Bama fan.

MSgt USAF (E-7) Retired 1968-1990

clintskin
Posts: 3
Joined: Sun Feb 11, 2018 11:01 pm

Re: Looking for a new machine. So many new models!

Post by clintskin » Wed Feb 14, 2018 1:41 pm

I have an older model that i keep just incase.

User avatar
chunkyfrog
Posts: 23870
Joined: Mon Jul 12, 2010 5:10 pm
Location: Nebraska--what does not kill us, makes us stronger

Re: Looking for a new machine. So many new models!

Post by chunkyfrog » Wed Feb 14, 2018 4:49 pm

Losing weight may change your pressure requirement--up or down.
It is practically NEVER a cure for apnea.
Losing excess weight is still a good idea; stopping cpap is a bad idea.

_________________
Machine: AirSense™ 10 AutoSet™ For Her CPAP Machine with HumidAir™ Heated Humidifier
Mask: AirFit™ P10 For Her Nasal Pillow CPAP Mask with Headgear
Additional Comments: Backup: Devillbiss Intellipap Autoadjust
I once was lost in apnea; but now I'm found--breathing easily all night long.