Sinus issues

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
srp707

Sinus issues

Post by srp707 » Fri Jan 12, 2018 10:42 am

A few months back I got a C pap machine ,the latest thing out,and a nose and mouth mask. The mask rubbed my nose raw and when the machine ramped up it would leak after a while. The doc prescribed a new mask,air fit, and it's spoungey and all that but I have to pull the straps so tight ,to stop the leaks, that it hurts my head. A friend of mine had the same trouble so he went to a nasal pillow and said the leaks and nose irritation was gone. So I got one that day and ever since I have a runny nose Hans sneeze a lot and then more nose runs. They prescribed a N20 nasal pillow that goes over my nose but same problem. I actually can't sleep with out the C pap but this sinus issue is nuts AS I have turned the humidity up and down the temp up and down and still no help so who has the magic answer. Thanks Tom

Pugsy

Re: Sinus issues

Post by Pugsy » Fri Jan 12, 2018 10:57 am

So exactly which model machine.?
and exactly what humidity settings have you tried?
and exactly what temperature settings have you tried?

What is the ambient humidity in your house or where you live? Do you know?

Some people have nasal mucosa that need a lot of moisture and some need less to none moisture added.

Google "cpap rhinitis" and start reading.

While most people may need more maybe you are one of those that needs minimal to none.
So which way your nasal mucosa might lean...we don't know but what humidity settings have you tried and what temperature on that heated hose and which machine?

Is the water level dropping in the water chamber? Do you see evidence of water consumption?

If you want to try the Eclipse mask and want a special promo code to get a little off the price...send me a private message.

srp707

Post by srp707 » Fri Jan 12, 2018 11:26 am

Pugsy wrote:So exactly which model machine.?>>>>>>>>>>>Air sense 10
and exactly what humidity settings have you tried?>>>>>>>>>>>0 to 10 all the same
and exactly what temperature settings have you tried?>>>>>>>>65 to 84 all the same

What is the ambient humidity in your house or where you live? Do you know? 72

Some people have nasal mucosa that need a lot of moisture and some need less to none moisture added.

Google "cpap rhinitis" and start reading.

While most people may need more maybe you are one of those that needs minimal to none.
So which way your nasal mucosa might lean...we don't know but what humidity settings have you tried and what temperature on that heated hose and which machine?

Is the water level dropping in the water chamber? Do you see evidence of water consumption?
Yes the water level is very low if the humidity is set at 5 or so and higher none at all. I had the humidity very low last night,2, and might help and half of the water was used. Still runny nose but may have improved.

nicholasjh1

Post by nicholasjh1 » Fri Jan 12, 2018 11:39 am

as far as tightness level with nasal pillows, I had a similar issue. Using moleskin cut outs fixed that issue for me. I made a template and cut out little circles with a hole in the middle, putting the sticky side on the pillow. It worked miracles for how much I had to tighten the mask. (not much at all with the moleskin).

Aside: The only reason I don't use the nasal pillows now is that I live at a pretty high altitude and was getting to much pressure differential and leaking out of the mouth quite a bit, even with other preventative measures... Though I never did go all in on the taping, I didn't find a tape that could stick to my skin for some reason... except duct tape and that seemed like a bad idea.
Instead of Sleep apnea it should be called "Sleep deprivation, starving of oxygen, being poisoned by high CO2 levels, damaging the body and brain while it's supposed to be healing so that you constantly get worse and can never get healthy Apnea"

Pugsy

Post by Pugsy » Fri Jan 12, 2018 11:43 am

It make take a few days for the nasal mucosa to get back to your "normal".
I know when I tried lower humidity with bad results it took me 3 days for my nasal mucosa to get over being mad at me for what I did.
It was a pretty miserable 3 days.
So one night might not be enough at the new setting to totally alleviate your unwanted symptoms.
If the lower settings seems to have helped a bit you might give it another 2 or 3 nights to give the nasal mucosa a chance to get over being mad at you.

In the meantime treat the unwanted annoying symptoms just like you normally would...use something like Simply Saline nasal spray during the day to try to get the nasal mucosa back to normal hydration status...and use whatever you normally would use for nasal congestion/drainage/itchiness etc.
When humidity levels are such that the nasal mucosa react by the swelling it's essentially the same as how nasal mucosa react to any type of substance it doesn't like. So pretty much like an allergy attack....so do what you would normally do if you had an allergy attack.

For myself it was Simply Saline, oral decongestants/allergy meds and time.
Whatever you normally would use that helps the daytime symptoms.

So if you think that with lower humidity setting the symptoms seem a bit reduced then continue with the lower setting and see if it helps and/or even consider going lower or turning it off if you wish.
Humidity preferences by a person's nasal mucosa vary widely between people and there really isn't a right or wrong..there's only what works for the individual.
I know a married couple both on cpap....one of them wants/needs maximum humidity and the other prefers minimal humidity.
Same household...so same ambient humidity but one person's nose just wants more moisture and the other one doesn't. It's just one of those many cpap related things that has a big YMMV sticker on it.

If you want to try the Eclipse mask and want a special promo code to get a little off the price...send me a private message.

srp707

Post by srp707 » Fri Jan 12, 2018 1:57 pm

nicholasjh1 wrote:as far as tightness level with nasal pillows, I had a similar issue. Using moleskin cut outs fixed that issue for me. I made a template and cut out little circles with a hole in the middle, putting the sticky side on the pillow. It worked miracles for how much I had to tighten the mask. (not much at all with the moleskin).

Aside: The only reason I don't use the nasal pillows now is that I live at a pretty high altitude and was getting to much pressure differential and leaking out of the mouth quite a bit, even with other preventative measures... Though I never did go all in on the taping, I didn't find a tape that could stick to my skin for some reason... except duct tape and that seemed like a bad idea.
I don't have any leaks with the nasal pillow. Just the sinus issue. Thanks

srp707

Post by srp707 » Fri Jan 12, 2018 2:01 pm

Pugsy wrote:It make take a few days for the nasal mucosa to get back to your "normal".
I know when I tried lower humidity with bad results it took me 3 days for my nasal mucosa to get over being mad at me for what I did.
It was a pretty miserable 3 days.
So one night might not be enough at the new setting to totally alleviate your unwanted symptoms.
If the lower settings seems to have helped a bit you might give it another 2 or 3 nights to give the nasal mucosa a chance to get over being mad at you.

In the meantime treat the unwanted annoying symptoms just like you normally would...use something like Simply Saline nasal spray during the day to try to get the nasal mucosa back to normal hydration status...and use whatever you normally would use for nasal congestion/drainage/itchiness etc.
When humidity levels are such that the nasal mucosa react by the swelling it's essentially the same as how nasal mucosa react to any type of substance it doesn't like. So pretty much like an allergy attack....so do what you would normally do if you had an allergy attack.

For myself it was Simply Saline, oral decongestants/allergy meds and time.
Whatever you normally would use that helps the daytime symptoms.

So if you think that with lower humidity setting the symptoms seem a bit reduced then continue with the lower setting and see if it helps and/or even consider going lower or turning it off if you wish.
Humidity preferences by a person's nasal mucosa vary widely between people and there really isn't a right or wrong..there's only what works for the individual.
I know a married couple both on cpap....one of them wants/needs maximum humidity and the other prefers minimal humidity.
Same household...so same ambient humidity but one person's nose just wants more moisture and the other one doesn't. It's just one of those many cpap related things that has a big YMMV sticker on it.

I have bought the saline treatment that comes with the little packs and bottle that I mix with only warm distilled water and it does help it's from NeilMed and I highly recomend it. Thank you so much

nicholasjh1

Post by nicholasjh1 » Fri Jan 12, 2018 2:37 pm

srp707 wrote:
nicholasjh1 wrote:as far as tightness level with nasal pillows, I had a similar issue. Using moleskin cut outs fixed that issue for me. I made a template and cut out little circles with a hole in the middle, putting the sticky side on the pillow. It worked miracles for how much I had to tighten the mask. (not much at all with the moleskin).

I don't have any leaks with the nasal pillow. Just the sinus issue. Thanks
I didn't think you did but it sounded like you were getting nose irritation, I thought it might be too tight, but I guess you're only talking drying out.
Instead of Sleep apnea it should be called "Sleep deprivation, starving of oxygen, being poisoned by high CO2 levels, damaging the body and brain while it's supposed to be healing so that you constantly get worse and can never get healthy Apnea"

srp707

Post by srp707 » Wed Jan 17, 2018 9:43 am

A little update here. I have been playing with the humidity and temp for a week and last night I set the humidity at 1 and the temp to 71 and I'm better today than I've been in a while.

Muse-Inc

Post by Muse-Inc » Thu Jan 18, 2018 5:08 am

srp707 wrote:...nasal pillow and said the leaks and nose irritation was gone. So I got one that day and ever since I have a runny nose Hans sneeze a lot and then more nose runs.
Pillows: about 20 mins after I got up my nose would run for, hmm, maybe an hr, then stop. This lasted if I remember correctly for a month or so. Humidity changes did not change the runny nose.

ResMed S9 range 9.8-17, RespCare Hybrid FFM
Never, never, never, never say never.