Argh my CPAP slid off the bedside table

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
Mattlovescats

Argh my CPAP slid off the bedside table

Post by Mattlovescats » Sat Jan 06, 2018 11:40 pm

I can't believe it.

Last night I must have turned around in bed several times because the hose wrapped around my neck several times and pulled my CPAP machine off the bedside table. It woke me up and luckily the hose didn't have enough slack for the machine to smash on the ground so it just hung there. I quickly put it back on the table and disconnected the power and humidifier tank. I put my finger in the intake hole and it didn't feel wet so presumably no water got into the motor. I turned it back on and it seemed to work, I'll call Resmed technical support on Monday just in case. Urgh, I'm getting some wood from Bunnings Warehouse now (Australian hardware chain), this will never happen again. Has this ever happened to you?

Wulfman...

Re: Argh my CPAP slid off the bedside table

Post by Wulfman... » Sat Jan 06, 2018 11:58 pm

Mattlovescats wrote:I can't believe it.

Last night I must have turned around in bed several times because the hose wrapped around my neck several times and pulled my CPAP machine off the bedside table. It woke me up and luckily the hose didn't have enough slack for the machine to smash on the ground so it just hung there. I quickly put it back on the table and disconnected the power and humidifier tank. I put my finger in the intake hole and it didn't feel wet so presumably no water got into the motor. I turned it back on and it seemed to work, I'll call Resmed technical support on Monday just in case. Urgh, I'm getting some wood from Bunnings Warehouse now (Australian hardware chain), this will never happen again. Has this ever happened to you?
Nope!
From the very beginning, I've put my machines on old, large mousepads. They don't move.
I even take spare machines and everything else with me when traveling (by car.....I won't fly anymore).

Den

(5) REMstar Autos w/C-Flex & (6) REMstar Pro 2 CPAPs w/C-Flex - Pressure Setting = 14 cm.
"Passover" Humidification - ResMed Ultra Mirage FF - Encore Pro w/Card Reader & MyEncore software - Chiroflow pillow
User since 05/14/05

Mattlovescats

Post by Mattlovescats » Sun Jan 07, 2018 12:18 am

Hi Den,

Hmm that's a good idea. I'll have to look around for some myself. Thanks for the suggestion!

ajack

Post by ajack » Sun Jan 07, 2018 2:20 am

you also need to use a hose holder, lots of home made ones, from a pool noodle with a split in it for the hose and jammed between the mattress and head of the bed to elaborate things, You can also buy one.

JimW159

Post by JimW159 » Sun Jan 07, 2018 2:33 am

Close, but not yet. When I travel the bedside tables in some hotels have had very little available real estate for the CPAP - what I have done in those cases was to pull out the drawer of the table and put the machine inside. It need not be as deep as the machine is tall, just has to stay somewhat level (folded paper can serve as spacers to help get there). At home I use a pad of non-skid material under the machine to help hold it in place.

Last edited by JimW159 on Sun Jan 07, 2018 2:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

softail99fb

Post by softail99fb » Sun Jan 07, 2018 7:32 am

Almost, I woke up just to see mine almost off my night stand.

Worst thing I've done is lay my cell phone beside my resmed auto m. I didn't get the humidifier tank lid on tight. I woke to find my phone in a puddle of water. It took a few hours to dry so it would call out. I was 8 hours from home and the closest my cell provider was 4 hours. I got a new waterproof phone when I got home!

Sheriff Buford

Post by Sheriff Buford » Sun Jan 07, 2018 7:54 am

Use a rubber mat.... that you use under a dish rack... that you would put on the counter to let dishes dry....

Sheriff

LSAT

Post by LSAT » Sun Jan 07, 2018 7:57 am

I keep my machine in the drawer of my nightstand. At night, I close the drawer and have only enough opening for the hose to get out.
No chance of tiping the machine...and it is extremely quiet.

Pinhead

Post by Pinhead » Sun Jan 07, 2018 8:07 am

Worst. We moved to Florida about 3 years ago and I had my car packed to the roof with my wife following in hers. My Air didn't work so I rolled down the rear windows and my c pap flew out the window at 70 mph. My wife was able to get it without anyone running over it. Case is cracked but has work fine for the past few years. Though to be fair I didn't have any water involved.

freetimecreations

Post by freetimecreations » Sun Jan 07, 2018 2:08 pm

My CPAP is under the bed, can't fall and I don't see screen glow if I turn off or on.

I use ResMed hypoallergenic filters.

Last edited by freetimecreations on Tue Feb 19, 2019 5:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

InnerGlow

Post by InnerGlow » Sun Jan 07, 2018 2:19 pm

Yes, it happened to me. I was lying on my side facing away from the machine with the hose over me. I woke up in the middle of the night, forgot about it completely (I hadn't been on CPAP that long), grabbed the hose up with the covers and yanked. The machine pulled off the nightstand and hung in the air. I was trying to reach it before it hit the floor, but had the added complication of a calf cramp to deal with. After a couple minutes I was able to get the machine without it reaching the floor and luckily it was still working. But boy did I feel stupid. I think I'll look into a rubber mat as was suggested.

Additional Comments: Min 7.5 cm / Max 14 cm, no ramp

Goofproof

Post by Goofproof » Sun Jan 07, 2018 2:41 pm

I must be doing something wrong, in only 12 years never had it move at all, I guess mine must be balanced real good. "Tanks are heavy"! Jim
Use data to optimize your xPAP treatment!

"The art of medicine consists in amusing the patient while nature cures the disease." Voltaire

Wulfman...

Post by Wulfman... » Sun Jan 07, 2018 2:57 pm

Some rolls of shelf/drawer liners work wonders, too.
They can easily be cut to the size you need.

https://www.walmart.com/c/kp/shelf-liner

Den

(5) REMstar Autos w/C-Flex & (6) REMstar Pro 2 CPAPs w/C-Flex - Pressure Setting = 14 cm.
"Passover" Humidification - ResMed Ultra Mirage FF - Encore Pro w/Card Reader & MyEncore software - Chiroflow pillow
User since 05/14/05

palerider

Post by palerider » Sun Jan 07, 2018 3:18 pm

i use a 3 meter hose, no worries of pulling the machine off the table.

Accounts to put on the foe list: dataq1, clownbell, gearchange, lynninnj, mper!?, DreamDiver, Geer1, almostadoctor, sleepgeek, ajack, stom, mogy, D.H., They often post misleading, timewasting stuff.

Okie bipap

Post by Okie bipap » Sun Jan 07, 2018 5:29 pm

We both use CPAP night stands which have cut outs for the hose and cables to run through. The BIPAP unit sits on a thick mouse pad that is on a slide out shelf. We can slide it out to fill the water reservoir and change the filter.

Growing old is mandatory, but growing up is optional.