For her

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
Amany55

For her

Post by Amany55 » Wed Dec 06, 2017 3:38 pm

Hello,
I am recently diagnosed with OSA and looking for a CPAP. I appreciate your advice regarding the ones for her. Do they really differ? I understand that the mask for her is more suitable. I only found the auto for her not the regular ones. My AHI is 25an I was advised by a pressure of 5.
Amany

Pugsy

Re: For her

Post by Pugsy » Wed Dec 06, 2017 3:54 pm

Welcome to the forum.

The masks "for her" usually are either a slight difference in color (they seem to think all us women like pink for some reason) of the headgear or sometimes size of the headgear or packaging of the nasal pillows in the sizes available. Often the "for Her" nasal pillow masks will have an XSmall instead of a Large nasal pillow. Stuff like that.

There's only one apap machine marketed towards women and that's the ResMed AirSense 10 AutoSet for Her that actually offers anything different from the other apaps.
What it offers is an additional apap mode or algorithm that may or may not benefit some women.
So it has flowers on it (big whoopie do) and a special algorithm that may or may not work better for someone than the regular algorithm.

I have always been a believer in it's better to have something and not need it than need it and not have it so if a person wants the AirSense 10 AutoSet for Her model just in case they might need that special "for her" apap mode....by all means get it if you can.
You can always use the regular mode if a person finds that the special "for her" mode isn't to their liking.....male or female really but the guys seem to balk at getting a machine with flowers on it for some reason or other.

I am female and for years used an apap machine that all the guys used and did well with it. Just last August I got a chance to get one of the new AirSense 10 AutoSet for Her machines....so I have tried both the regular apap mode and the special for her apap mode and to be honest...I can use either quite successfully. I think most women probably could use either. It does have some limitations when pressures are in the teens that can potentially be a problem for some people and in that case the regular mode is probably a better fit.

If you can get the ResMed AirSense 10 for Her AutoSet model...get it. It's like 3 machines in one and pretty much will cover all bases easily.
That way the for her mode would be available if you need it and if you don't then use the other mode.

If you want to try the Eclipse mask and want a special promo code to get a little off the price...send me a private message.

Amany55

Post by Amany55 » Wed Dec 06, 2017 9:25 pm

Thank you very much

jim22

Post by jim22 » Wed Dec 06, 2017 9:29 pm

It makes one wonder... do they sell more machines because lots of women choose it over all the others than selling fewer because men shy away from it? Maybe they should add the for her mode to their standard machine and just offer two chassis designs?

Resmed Airsense 10 Autoset, Swift FX nasal pillows mask

Pugsy

Post by Pugsy » Wed Dec 06, 2017 9:41 pm

jim22 wrote:It makes one wonder... do they sell more machines because lots of women choose it over all the others than selling fewer because men shy away from it? Maybe they should add the for her mode to their standard machine and just offer two chassis designs?
I doubt it.
Most DMEs don't give the patient (man or woman) a choice in brands much less models.
The bulk of Resmed's sales are to DMEs. That's who ResMed wants to please. It sure isn't us.

If you want to try the Eclipse mask and want a special promo code to get a little off the price...send me a private message.