CPAP journey begins

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
USMCVet

CPAP journey begins

Post by USMCVet » Tue Dec 05, 2017 12:47 pm

Figured I would start this thread and on post in it for issues and successes to keep everything in on spot.

I got my Dreamstation with Dreamwear nasal Mask today. I came home and tried to get a nap in before work.

My prescription is for 4 to 20 auto. At first when I laid down it was a little difficult to breathe. It felt like I wasn't getting enough air. After a little while things got easier. I used it for about an hour and sure I probably actually slept for at least 15 minutes.

My 90% pressure is already 5. Like others have said 4 is just to low.

I really like the top connector for hose on Dreamwear. I was able to sleep on back, side , and stomach without issue and machine said for that hour I had 100% mask seal.

I'm really looking forward to coming home tonight to try and sleep the night!

Okie bipap

Re: CPAP journey begins

Post by Okie bipap » Tue Dec 05, 2017 2:05 pm

Many people have trouble breathing with the pressure set at 4 cm. If you find it uncomfortable, raise it a little to maybe 6 or 7. Even when set with an upper limit of 20 cm, the machine will not go higher than it thinks is necessary. The lower pressure is what helps eliminate flow limits and hypopneas. From my wife's experience, we found that if the lower pressure is too low, it can cause the upper pressure to go higher. Once her lower pressure was raised to the proper setting, the upper pressure was consistently lower than it was before.

Growing old is mandatory, but growing up is optional.

MrsRinPDX

Post by MrsRinPDX » Tue Dec 05, 2017 3:24 pm

When I began (only two weeks ago, mind you, so keep that in mind) my ramp up pressure was set at 5 cm and I had that same, "couldn't get enough air to breathe" feeling. I took the advice of this forum and bumped the pressure. It worked, but 7 or 8 wasn't enough for me; you might need to go a little higher to be comfortable.

Additional Comments: Pressures: IPAP 18/ EPAP 14; Secondary mask - Nuance Pro Nasal Pillow

USMCVet

Post by USMCVet » Tue Dec 05, 2017 4:48 pm

I'm going to see how tonight goes before making any changes. Have to get distilled water tonight too. The RT who gave me everything told me he couldn't change any numbers for me because it's a prescription. Not sure if he was telling me I should on my own if needed or not.

Okie bipap

Post by Okie bipap » Tue Dec 05, 2017 6:45 pm

The RT is bound by law to set the machine to what is prescribed. You, on the other hand can take your therapy in your own hands and make changes. The 4-20 range is the factory default setting. Most of us have taken charge of our therapy and make changes to our pressure settings as we think necessary. I was originally prescribed 20-25 with a pressure support of 5. Once I got used to the machine, I found this was too high for my needs. I have played around with my settings, and have found I very seldom go over 15, and use a pressure support of 4. My AHI is routinely under 2.

Growing old is mandatory, but growing up is optional.

Josiah

Post by Josiah » Tue Dec 05, 2017 7:44 pm

I wish you well on your journey, I'm not too far behind.
Josiah

USMCVet

Post by USMCVet » Wed Dec 06, 2017 6:13 am

Here we are part way through my "first night" and it's going meh. I have gotten just over 3 hours of sleep so far. Took some cough medicine and using cough drop now. My nose was starting to dry up. I have humidifier set at 4 currently in adaptive mode . No rainout but my room is cold so I can feel wet spots on pillow where exhaust is.

I will admit part of me wants go back to bed with the mask. I even looked up how most people do first night to justify now wearing it for the rest of the night. I kept getting search results for this site saying you have to keep wearing it lol.

My chest hurts from breathing with the machine and I'm tired. Going to put the machine back on and try to get more sleep.

Pugsy

Post by Pugsy » Wed Dec 06, 2017 8:55 am

You may want to take it out of adaptive mode for humidification and go to manual for both humidity and hose air temp.
The wet spots on the bed pillow are likely water getting blown out the vent holes....just wait until you get the joys of a cold mist shower from it.

And I think the 4 is for hose air temp...not humidity...I need to read the manual to be sure..and the adaptive part is for humidity sensing and delivery.. 4 may not be enough warmth to prevent condensation if you bedroom is cool....so I would increase the 4 to maybe 6 and see if that helps.
I have never used the DreamStation...just the System One and it didn't offer "adaptive".

FWIW...if your bedroom is very cool the heated hose may simply not be able to prevent condensation at the mask level. I get it all the time with my P10 mask and I have my heated hose set to maximum warmth. The breath we exhale has moisture in it also and that extra moisture along with the incoming moisture and the fact that the bedroom is cool means the air in the mask itself cools to the point of moisture release.

The chest discomfort thing is common and doesn't last long for most people but I have a couple of ideas to maybe help with that.
Let's use Flex exhale relief but you need to increase that minimum of 4 to 6 to use Flex because Flex won't work if the minimum starting pressure is below 6.

Try minimum of 6 and Flex set to 2 or 3 (test both to see what feels the best) and see how the next night goes.
Don't worry about rocking any boats about your changing something. No one will really care.

Get yourself some Simply Saline (or similar product) and use it frequently during the day and a good snort right before bedtime.

Try to avoid the little devil on your shoulder who tells you to go back to sleep without the mask if at all possible.
Bad habit to start and you know bad habits are easy to make and hard to break. Try to avoid going down that road if at all possible.

If you want to try the Eclipse mask and want a special promo code to get a little off the price...send me a private message.

USMCVet

Post by USMCVet » Wed Dec 06, 2017 9:34 am

Here is my data from yesterday.

The setting of 4 was for humidifier. Unfortunately I was told they don't automatically give out the heated hose so I have to ask for that later. I definitely was sleeping better second half of morning until my dog came and woke me up.

Last edited by USMCVet on Wed Dec 06, 2017 9:50 am, edited 3 times in total.
10 to 15 cm h20

Pugsy

Post by Pugsy » Wed Dec 06, 2017 9:44 am

Gottcha...no heated hose..yet anyway. Now I understand what adaptive means and the setting of 4.
How is your nose this morning?

I can't get your image to show up with your link.

Log in to your imgur account....then select the image you wish to share ....and you should see a box of addresses on the right side and below the addresses are the thumbnail options.

Click on "large thumbnail" .....this changes the addresses a little so the size of the image isn't massive.
Then copy the last line in the box of addresses (linked to bbc code) and paste that address in the body of your text here.
You won't see the image until you submit or do the preview thing.

This is the box of addresses and you have to be logged in to see it.

If you want to try the Eclipse mask and want a special promo code to get a little off the price...send me a private message.

USMCVet

Post by USMCVet » Wed Dec 06, 2017 9:50 am

Thanks I just fixed it. My nose is doing ok. When I woke up around 7ish I drank some water, took some cough medicine and used a cough drop. This is first morning I haven't woken up with nose congestion in a long time!

Pugsy

Post by Pugsy » Wed Dec 06, 2017 10:20 am

I can't click on the image and make it bigger to read the numbers.
Copy the last line in the address box makes it so I can click on the image and make it bigger...I think you did the wrong address line.

And yes...sometimes the added humidity actually helps with nasal congestion. I often wake up with a clearer nose than when I went to bed.
The setting of 4 in adaptive mode isn't all that huge of a humidity delivery. That equates to the "new system one humidification mode" system in the PR S1 machines and I have used that. The setting of 4 isn't all that much despite the number being close to the max of 5. I had trouble with 5 being enough for my nose's comfort.

At any rate if 4 works well for you and the worst problem we have is a tiny bit of condensation blowing out on the bed pillow (or giving you a cold shower) that's easily fixed with a hose cozy of some sort, and it doesn't have to be store bought, until if or when you want to get a heated hose.
Your nose will let you know if it is unhappy with your humidity choice by making the congestion worse. If you are breathing better then it is happy with your choice.

Got any old socks laying around that you could cut holes in the toes and make your own hose cozy? That's what I did years ago and it does help.

Pugsy

Post by Pugsy » Wed Dec 06, 2017 10:23 am

After sort of seeing your report from last night...I stand by my suggestion to try minimum of 6 with Flex at 2 or 3 or 1 (whichever feels good).
I think you will be more comfortable and more comfortable usually means greater chance of getting to sleep and staying asleep.
The first few nights are rough because the brain will want to poke you and wake you up to tell you "hey dude, there's an alien plastered on your face"....so the brain needs to learn that the mask is its new best friend and that can take some time for some brains.
Took my brain probably a month..

LSAT

Post by LSAT » Wed Dec 06, 2017 12:51 pm

USMCVet wrote:Got any old socks laying around that you could cut holes in the toes and make your own hose cozy? That's what I did years ago and it does help.
How about the sleever from an old sweatshirt...or..?

Josiah

Post by Josiah » Wed Dec 06, 2017 12:56 pm

Have you been satisfied with VA so far?
Josiah