Clearing the Mask and Tubing from Ozone after cleaning

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
DELLsFan

Clearing the Mask and Tubing from Ozone after cleaning

Post by DELLsFan » Mon Jul 27, 2020 9:11 am

Greetings, everyone!

Love my ResMed AirSense 10 AutoSet CPAP machine. I started about a month ago and am already sleeping longer and better.

I KNOW the manufacturer's recommendation (among others) to clean the mask, and accessories is via gentle soap and water. I ALSO know about how use of Ozone cleaners can void my ResMed warranty.

However, I like the concept behind the Sleep8 Ozone system, purchased it, and would like to use it just to disinfect my mask, headgear, and tubing daily between the weekly soap/water cleaning.

I am sensitive to the Ozone though and need to clear as much of it (and it's scent) from my mask and tubing equipment as possible before connecting up to the AirSense 10 and going to bed - limiting the amount the AirSense and I will be exposed to through the night. I disinfect shortly after I start my day and remove tubing and mask from Sleep8 bag in the morning to 'breathe' in open air to help clear the Ozone, but I need a solution that goes further than this.

Connecting the tubing with mask to the AirSense in the evening and letting the machine blow through for 5-10 minutes is insufficient and I no longer want to risk damage to the machine doing this. Plus, doing this skews the metrics being measured by ResMed's 'MyAir' system. I really don't want to return the Sleep8, if there's a way to have my cake and eat it too.

Any suggestions? :)

Pugsy

Re: Clearing the Mask and Tubing from Ozone after cleaning

Post by Pugsy » Mon Jul 27, 2020 9:59 am

DELLsFan wrote:
Mon Jul 27, 2020 9:11 am
if there's a way to have my cake and eat it too.
Short answer "no".

If you feel you just have to add another layer of disinfection besides good old soap and water...get one of the devices that zaps bugs with UV light instead of ozone.
But you still have to use soap and water to remove snot, facial oils, grime, slobber, etc. Just like with the Ozone device. They don't physically clean anything. All they do is maybe nuke the germs/bacteria etc which come from you anyway.

Think about it for a minute....just where are all these bugs coming from in the first place????
You...your room air, etc...that's where they are coming from. They are around you 24/7 anyway.

I wouldn't have a device producing ozone in my house....period. It's bad for the lungs...bad for the machine and I still have to use soap and water anyway.

If you want to try the Eclipse mask and want a special promo code to get a little off the price...send me a private message.

jimbud

Post by jimbud » Mon Jul 27, 2020 10:08 am

https://www.amazon.com/Makita-EB5300TH- ... 53&sr=8-13

Be sure and take your cpap accessories outside first. :D

JPB

DELLsFan

Post by DELLsFan » Mon Jul 27, 2020 10:32 am

jimbud wrote:
Mon Jul 27, 2020 10:08 am
https://www.amazon.com/Makita-EB5300TH- ... 53&sr=8-13

Be sure and take your cpap accessories outside first. :D

JPB
LOL!

Dog Slobber

Post by Dog Slobber » Mon Jul 27, 2020 10:33 am

DELLsFan wrote:
Greetings, everyone!

Love my ResMed AirSense 10 AutoSet CPAP machine. I started about a month ago and am already sleeping longer and better.

I KNOW the manufacturer's recommendation (among others) to clean the mask, and accessories is via gentle soap and water. I ALSO know about how use of Ozone cleaners can void my ResMed warranty.

However, I like the concept behind the Sleep8 Ozone system, purchased it, and would like to use it just to disinfect my mask, headgear, and tubing daily between the weekly soap/water cleaning.

I am sensitive to the Ozone though and need to clear as much of it (and it's scent) from my mask and tubing equipment as possible before connecting up to the AirSense 10 and going to bed - limiting the amount the AirSense and I will be exposed to through the night. I disinfect shortly after I start my day and remove tubing and mask from Sleep8 bag in the morning to 'breathe' in open air to help clear the Ozone, but I need a solution that goes further than this.

Connecting the tubing with mask to the AirSense in the evening and letting the machine blow through for 5-10 minutes is insufficient and I no longer want to risk damage to the machine doing this. Plus, doing this skews the metrics being measured by ResMed's 'MyAir' system. I really don't want to return the Sleep8, if there's a way to have my cake and eat it too.

Any suggestions? :)
But do you KNOW why ResMed may void warranties because of Ozone machines?

They have OBSERVED damage to machines consistent with ozone material incompatibility. It is well KNOWN that Ozone is incompatible with material, ResMed is also very aware of the material used in the manufacture of their machines.

The EXPECTED life of your device is at least 5 years. ResMed is observing DAMAGE in machines still under warranty (2 Years). You may NOT experience the damage in the first 2 years, but continued use and don't expect to get 5 Years. Be prepared to pay out of pocket for YOUR next machine.
DELLsFan wrote:
I am sensitive to the Ozone
No, you're not just SENSITIVE to Ozone. Ozone DAMAGES ALL of our lungs. From the FDA:
Ozone (O3), sometimes called “activated oxygen”, is a gas that can be used to kill harmful bacteria. However, for ozone to be effective in destroying harmful bacteria, it must be present at a concentration above levels considered safe for humans.
https://www.fda.gov/medical-devices/saf ... chines-and

You are ASKING about dissipating the Ozone from your mask, without concern that the Ozone is venting into your environment. And I suggest that YOU lookup the half-life of Ozone and what half-live means. It is not GONE in 30 minutes as manufacturers claim.
DELLsFan wrote:
Connecting the tubing with mask to the AirSense in the evening and letting the machine blow through for 5-10 minutes is insufficient and I no longer want to risk damage to the machine doing this. Plus, doing this skews the metrics being measured by ResMed's 'MyAir' system.
HUH?????

Ozone is well KNOWN to be incompatible with materials and ResMed, the most authoritative organization on the planet (regarding their devices), has stated they've observed damage to devices consistent with Ozone. And you're WORRIED about causing damage by running it an extra 10 minutes, and inconstancies in your MyAir score.

I can't help but think I WASTED my time with this post on you.
DELLsFan wrote:
YES
DELLsFan wrote:
Any suggestions?

Throw the piece of CRAP out, and occasionally uppercasing random words doesn't give you more credibility.

chunkyfrog
Location: Nebraska--I am sworn to keep the secret of this paradise.

Post by chunkyfrog » Mon Jul 27, 2020 11:06 am

I have been using UV devices to condition/sanitize my hearing aid for years,
but I still need to clean off the wax and stuff. NBD, and I am quite lazy.
Ozone is toxic--it will harm you long before it kills enough microbes to justify the cost.
I will not permit that gas in my home.
Throw the damn poison generator OUT.

Last edited by chunkyfrog on Mon Jul 27, 2020 11:10 am, edited 1 time in total.

khauser

Post by khauser » Mon Jul 27, 2020 11:09 am

Pugsy wrote:
Mon Jul 27, 2020 9:59 am
DELLsFan wrote:
Short answer "no".

If you feel you just have to add another layer of disinfection besides good old soap and water...get one of the devices that zaps bugs with UV light instead of ozone.
But you still have to use soap and water to remove snot, facial oils, grime, slobber, etc. Just like with the Ozone device. They don't physically clean anything. All they do is maybe nuke the germs/bacteria etc which come from you anyway.

Think about it for a minute....just where are all these bugs coming from in the first place????
You...your room air, etc...that's where they are coming from. They are around you 24/7 anyway.

I wouldn't have a device producing ozone in my house....period. It's bad for the lungs...bad for the machine and I still have to use soap and water anyway.
Unless OP has the climateline. The 3B bullet won't fit in that because of the protrusions on either side.

Shining UV on the outside of the hose does nothing for the inside.

OP: If you clean the tube, you've done all you might possibly need to. All of this disinfecting stuff doesn't really add anything (well, except unhealthy ozone for those disinfectors).

They should not be able to call it SoClean because it has nothing to do with 'clean'

chunkyfrog
Location: Nebraska--I am sworn to keep the secret of this paradise.

Post by chunkyfrog » Mon Jul 27, 2020 11:13 am

And the fact Bill Shatner appears in their commercials only proves one thing.
That he is a washed out HAS-BEEN who is so desperate for money that he will throw us under a bus.

DELLsFan

Post by DELLsFan » Mon Jul 27, 2020 11:34 am

Thanks for the helpful replies, folks.
Clearly, I should have come here before even purchasing an ozone-emitting sanitization device.
You've helped me save my ResMed machine and my lungs. :oops:
I'll try to return the Sleep8.

Soap and water it is, then.

Cardsfan

Post by Cardsfan » Mon Jul 27, 2020 11:57 am

I hate to see it when new people get taken advantage of. It's hard enough being a new cpap user, let alone have to fight off some company just looking to make a quick buck. The longer you use your machine, the less you worry about germs and trying to keep everything sanitized. Soap and water work just fine. Think about it, you don't sterilize your pillow every night, and your face is smashed into it all night. The only thing on your mask is what came off of you to start with. :lol: Hope you can return it.

Goofproof

Post by Goofproof » Mon Jul 27, 2020 12:15 pm

If Ozone, only is stable for 30 minutes after it's generated, why are we paying over $ 15.00 a pound for Freon that cost less than 50 cents a pound to produce.

Ricky: Lucy, Sounds like Jim someone is lying. Why would they do that, maybe the profit in the rip off.
Use data to optimize your xPAP treatment!

"The art of medicine consists in amusing the patient while nature cures the disease." Voltaire