OT: Quarantine supplies

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
chunkyfrog
Location: Nebraska--I am sworn to keep the secret of this paradise.

OT: Quarantine supplies

Post by chunkyfrog » Wed Mar 18, 2020 1:31 pm

I'm all set--40 oz. Of Ghirardelli 60% cacao "baking" chips.
None are intended for baking . . .
Other than the obvious--dried pasta, and beans--and canned everything, any suggestions?

Cardsfan

Re: OT: Quarantine supplies

Post by Cardsfan » Wed Mar 18, 2020 1:54 pm

manual can opener

chunkyfrog

Post by chunkyfrog » Wed Mar 18, 2020 2:00 pm

Cardsfan wrote:
Wed Mar 18, 2020 1:54 pm
manual can opener
The only kind I ever use--especially with all those pull tabs. :mrgreen:

raisedfist

Post by raisedfist » Wed Mar 18, 2020 2:10 pm

Toilet Paper, Brita water pitcher, Cat food, Hand Soap, Coffee.

PS Min 6, PS Max 18, EPAP Min 4, EPAP Max 12

squid13

Post by squid13 » Wed Mar 18, 2020 2:36 pm

I just posted this on another thread. I was listening to a radio talk show this afternoon and a trucker called in and he said a lot of the reason for short supplies ( toilet paper) is that half his truck was bottle water, so please drink tap water if it is OK I need my TP. We have good tasting water yet you see these people hauling water out like they was going to die of thirst.

US Navy Retired 1973,AirCurve 10 ASV, Mode: ASV Auto, Min EPAP: 7.2, Max EPAP: 15.0, Min PS:4.0, Max PS: 15.0, Mask ResMed Airtouch F20, Backup: (2) AirCurve 10 ASV

chunkyfrog

Post by chunkyfrog » Wed Mar 18, 2020 2:53 pm

Small water bottles=dumb, wasteful, and expensive.
I switched to tap water several months ago.
Large containers of shelf-stable water is recommended for emergency supplies.
A gallon per person per day is recommended, for two weeks.
That would be a lot of flimsy single-serve bottles, likely clogging up the landfill.

babydinosnoreless

Post by babydinosnoreless » Wed Mar 18, 2020 3:18 pm

For people buying water ro systems for under the sink work really well and are not that expensive.

raisedfist

Post by raisedfist » Wed Mar 18, 2020 3:31 pm

I just use a Brita pitcher which cost like 20 bucks and is "good enough"

PS Min 6, PS Max 18, EPAP Min 4, EPAP Max 12

Pugsy

Post by Pugsy » Wed Mar 18, 2020 3:46 pm

I went to WalMart yesterday. Pretty sad state of affairs. It's a limited WalMart anyway because for all practical purposes it's considered rural...our town probably doesn't have 6K population. It doesn't stock large quantities of anything and what it does stock normally isn't always what the other bigger WalMarts stock.
Totally out of all bottled water of any kind. Being out of distilled for the humidifier...not the end of the world because I can use tap water. I am on a well...out in the boonies and we have really "hard" water. So what if the minerals build up inside the water chamber I can clean it easily enough.

Now the other appliance I use in the house that depends on bottled water of some sort is my Keurig coffee maker and those hard water minerals will kill my Keurig very quickly and that would mean a very pricey replacement and/or my being out of my morning coffee. If I didn't have my morning coffee it would be really really bad for not just me. :lol: :lol: :lol: Ugly doesn't even begin to describe it.
So I went back to WalMart today to get a water filter product that might help keep my Keurig alive longer. They were stocking the shelves with bottled water which won't last long but I did come home with a couple gallons of distilled and 4 gallons of bottled water that I can use in my Keurig and a water filter product so that I can use my tap water and hopefully prolong my Keurig's life.

I can do without toilet paper but I would be hard pressed to do without my morning coffee. :lol:
The only other thing that is making me nervous to be out of....alcohol. I use it to prep my nose before applying the Bleep adhesive ports.
Soap and water cleaning doesn't quite do the best job eliminating facial oils for me. I am not totally out yet but my bottle of alcohol is getting down to where it is starting to make me nervous. Now I always have the choice just to use soap and water and take my chances with the facial oils or I can go back to the P10....so I do have viable alternatives. Don't necessarily like it but at least I have an alternative.

If you want to try the Eclipse mask and want a special promo code to get a little off the price...send me a private message.

Goofproof

Post by Goofproof » Wed Mar 18, 2020 4:02 pm

Pugsy wrote:
Wed Mar 18, 2020 3:46 pm
I went to WalMart yesterday. Pretty sad state of affairs. It's a limited WalMart anyway because for all practical purposes it's considered rural...our town probably doesn't have 6K population. It doesn't stock large quantities of anything and what it does stock normally isn't always what the other bigger WalMarts stock.
Totally out of all bottled water of any kind. Being out of distilled for the humidifier...not the end of the world because I can use tap water. I am on a well...out in the boonies and we have really "hard" water. So what if the minerals build up inside the water chamber I can clean it easily enough.

Now the other appliance I use in the house that depends on bottled water of some sort is my Keurig coffee maker and those hard water minerals will kill my Keurig very quickly and that would mean a very pricey replacement and/or my being out of my morning coffee. If I didn't have my morning coffee it would be really really bad for not just me. :lol: :lol: :lol: Ugly doesn't even begin to describe it.
So I went back to WalMart today to get a water filter product that might help keep my Keurig alive longer. They were stocking the shelves with bottled water which won't last long but I did come home with a couple gallons of distilled and 4 gallons of bottled water that I can use in my Keurig and a water filter product so that I can use my tap water and hopefully prolong my Keurig's life.

I can do without toilet paper but I would be hard pressed to do without my morning coffee. :lol:
The only other thing that is making me nervous to be out of....alcohol. I use it to prep my nose before applying the Bleep adhesive ports.
Soap and water cleaning doesn't quite do the best job eliminating facial oils for me. I am not totally out yet but my bottle of alcohol is getting down to where it is starting to make me nervous. Now I always have the choice just to use soap and water and take my chances with the facial oils or I can go back to the P10....so I do have viable alternatives. Don't necessarily like it but at least I have an alternative.
Might try eyeglass lens cleaners to clean so the adhesive will stick! Jim
Use data to optimize your xPAP treatment!

"The art of medicine consists in amusing the patient while nature cures the disease." Voltaire

prodigyplace

Post by prodigyplace » Wed Mar 18, 2020 4:16 pm

chunkyfrog wrote:
Wed Mar 18, 2020 1:31 pm
I'm all set--40 oz. Of Ghirardelli 60% cacao "baking" chips.
None are intended for baking . . .
Other than the obvious--dried pasta, and beans--and canned everything, any suggestions?
Here, both Sams Club & Walmart are out of white flour for bread baking.
Somebody in the UK said people were buying up all the beans and perhaps that explained their need for the toilet paper too. :oops:

Please visit our sponsor, CPAP.com at https://www.cpap.com/ for all your CPAP needs.

chunkyfrog

Post by chunkyfrog » Wed Mar 18, 2020 4:28 pm

As their shelves are being restocked, major retailers are (finally) limiting quantities.
How did they not catch that earlier?--oh, that's right; they didn't want to.
:twisted: :twisted:

Cpapian

Post by Cpapian » Wed Mar 18, 2020 11:35 pm

Pugsy wrote:
Wed Mar 18, 2020 3:46 pm

Do you think Witch Hazel could help in an emergency? .... it has maybe 15% ethanol alcohol. .... a lot less than rubbing alcohol.

chunkyfrog

Post by chunkyfrog » Wed Mar 18, 2020 11:50 pm

Cpapian wrote:
Wed Mar 18, 2020 11:35 pm
. . . Witch Hazel
. . .
The essential oils in witch hazel would probably interfere with adhesive.
I did a research paper on adhesives, and oil usually breaks down adhesives,
especially the type on tape and labels.
Think Goo Gone.
I would suggest the cheapest vodka you can find--80 proof is only 40% alcohol.
About half that of the weakest rubbing alcohol, but fairly effective, and it smells better.
Aside---
Interesting what is left after the locusts clean the shelves--we can tell what people don't really like.
Lots of chicken/turkey sausage left--also everything vegan.
Gotta laugh.

Lifeisabeach

Post by Lifeisabeach » Thu Mar 19, 2020 5:36 am

Don't overlook medication refills. Not just prescription, but get whatever fever/congestion/cough meds you prefer in advance so if you do get sick, you have them and they aren't out of stock. Especially don't forget your Flonase, Afrin, or whatever your choice is for keeping your nasal passages open!