New-Scared-Vain-Machines?

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
ScaredOfCPAP

New-Scared-Vain-Machines?

Post by ScaredOfCPAP » Thu Jun 04, 2020 10:27 am

Hello Everyone. I am in Indianapolis IN. I am newly diagnosed and have severe apnea. I just want to cry. I am scared for a number of reasons. Will I be able to sleep with this contraption on? Will I look ridiculous? Will it be loud? I have no idea what to get. AND,....I am newly single and can't wait (sarcasm) till I meet someone new and they see me with a mask and tubes,.....sexy! Not! I know that sounds vain, and I know my health is more important, but all of it is kind of overwhelming me. I hope all of you can ease my worries. Maybe let me know how all of you dealt with some of my same fears.

My Dr. only prescribes one machine and because my insurance has such a large deductible I am going to have to pay for the whole thing myself, so I want to get what I want. But I have no idea what I want/need. I would like small for everyday and travel use. I would like quiet and I want the kind that only goes under your nose. Not sure what it is called. Any advise as to what to start off with? Also I am a side and stomach sleeper so something where I can be in those positions, if possible. Please help me. Thank you. :(

ChicagoGranny

Re: New-Scared-Vain-Machines?

Post by ChicagoGranny » Thu Jun 04, 2020 11:39 am

ScaredOfCPAP wrote:
Thu Jun 04, 2020 10:27 am
Will I be able to sleep with this contraption on?
Yes, if you practice good sleep hygiene and get advice from forum members.
ScaredOfCPAP wrote:
Will I look ridiculous?
Not to the millions of people who use CPAP.
ScaredOfCPAP wrote:
I meet someone new and they see me with a mask and tubes,.....sexy!
Sexier that remaining untreated and having heart disease, stroke, diabetes, depression, anxiety, obesity, dementia, death.
ScaredOfCPAP wrote:
I would like small for everyday and travel use.
Unless you need a battery-powered machine in your travels, a regular machine is better for home and travel. It's a little more to carry, but the CPAP bag (medical equipment) doesn't count against carry-on luggage allowance.
ScaredOfCPAP wrote:
Any advise as to what to start off with?
ResMed Airsense 10 AutoSet or ResMed Airsense 10 AutoSet for Her. https://www.cpap.com/cpap-machines/apap-machine#:::2:::::
ScaredOfCPAP wrote:
I want the kind that only goes under your nose. Not sure what it is called.
You may be thinking about nasal masks or nasal pillow masks ( https://www.cpap.com ) Which type of mask did the doctor prescribe?

Keep using this one thread as you go forward in the process.

Welcome!

chunkyfrog
Location: Nebraska--I am sworn to keep the secret of this paradise.

Post by chunkyfrog » Thu Jun 04, 2020 12:27 pm

Click on my equipment below. Minimal, top quality, and quieter than most. (nearly all)
Also check out the prices at cpap.com--the sponsors of this forum.
Lousy insurance is no reason to settle for inadequate therapy.

palerider

Post by palerider » Thu Jun 04, 2020 1:18 pm

ScaredOfCPAP wrote:
Will I look ridiculous?
Unless you have people parading around your room with flashlights while you're sleeping, or you've got one of those night vision cameras watching you, it'll be dark, and nobody will see you.
ScaredOfCPAP wrote:
Will it be loud?
No.
ScaredOfCPAP wrote:
I have no idea what to get.
Probably a Resmed Airsense 10 Autoset For Her.
ScaredOfCPAP wrote:
AND,....I am newly single and can't wait (sarcasm) till I meet someone new and they see me with a mask and tubes,.....sexy!
I never fail to be confused at the thought process people have that leads them to conflate cpap usage and their attractiveness, are you planning to wear it to dinner? out to a movie? in the park? for long walks on the beach? If so, you'd best invest in a good battery situation. Were you planning to wear it while you're being seductive?

What I suggest is using it only while you're SLEEPING, and then you know what is sexy? your partner not having to listen to you snore.

Accounts to put on the foe list: dataq1, clownbell, gearchange, lynninnj, mper!?, DreamDiver, Geer1, almostadoctor, sleepgeek, ajack, stom, mogy, D.H., They often post misleading, timewasting stuff.

Dog Slobber

Post by Dog Slobber » Thu Jun 04, 2020 1:26 pm

zonker

Post by zonker » Thu Jun 04, 2020 1:44 pm

Dog Slobber wrote:
Thu Jun 04, 2020 1:26 pm
how does one subscribe to your magazine?
people say i'm self absorbed.
but that's enough about them.
Oscar-Win
https://www.apneaboard.com/OSCAR/OSCAR-1.5.1-Win64.exe
Oscar-Mac
https://www.apneaboard.com/OSCAR/OSCAR-1.5.1.dmg

khauser

Post by khauser » Thu Jun 04, 2020 2:01 pm

chunkyfrog wrote:
Thu Jun 04, 2020 12:27 pm
Click on my equipment below. Minimal, top quality, and quieter than most. (nearly all)
Also check out the prices at cpap.com--the sponsors of this forum.
Lousy insurance is no reason to settle for inadequate therapy.
And call, email or chat with them. Unless there's a sale going on they can OFTEN beat even their advertised prices. (There are some restrictions around what they are allowed to advertise)

Miss Emerita

Post by Miss Emerita » Thu Jun 04, 2020 2:27 pm

I do understand the worry about appearance. But look at some of the pictures in the advertisements for various masks. Some of the full-face masks have a kind of fighter-pilot look to them; other masks are really pretty minimalist; lots are somewhere in between. I honestly don't think it's going to turn anyone off if you slip on your mask when it's time for sleep.

If you want to go for minimalist, take a look at the ResMed Airfit P10, which is a nasal pillow mask. But don't go just on looks. First, ask yourself whether you need to breathe through your mouth a fair amount during the day. If yes, try starting with a full-face mask. If no, try a nasal pillow mask or a nasal mask. CPAP.com, which sponsors this site I believe, has insurance you can buy so you can return masks that don't work for you, then try something else.

I agree with the forum members who are recommending the ResMed Airsense 10 Autoset For Her machine. I have a different ResMed machine, but it's the same size and weight, and I traveled with it -- back when traveling was a thing -- without any problems. It's always carry-on, and the flight attendants will make sure you can find a good spot for it if the bins are crowded.

One little game to play in an airport is to count how many other CPAP travel bags you can spot. CPAP is a new thing for you, but you have a heck of a lot of company! During the past year and a half, I've learned about two people on my block who use CPAP, plus two old friends and three people at work. And all of that was just random.
Oscar software is available at https://www.sleepfiles.com/OSCAR/

chunkyfrog

Post by chunkyfrog » Thu Jun 04, 2020 4:38 pm

Before I retired, at least one colleague and her husband were "hosers".
This was a small office.
Mask liners can protect sensitive skin. (Padacheek.com)
Oh, and cpap treatment can help with your appearance and general health,
including function of one's"wedding tackle".

Janknitz

Post by Janknitz » Thu Jun 04, 2020 5:19 pm

You will see when you look at machines on cpap.com that there are some teeny tiny little travel machines but DON'T be tempted to get one (at least not yet--later, if you travel a lot, you might try one). The travel machines make too many compromises in quality. They are noisier, some lack humidifiers, they have less (or no) data available. These are all very important features for you to be successful in your CPAP therapy. The recommendation for a ResMed Airsense 10 Autoset For Her machine is the very best machine for you.

If you want to buy it to count toward your deductible, make sure you understand from cpap.com what a reasonable price should be. Even if you have to meet your deductible, you should be able to get it for your insurance company's negotiated price from the medical equipment companies your insurance company works with which MAY be less expensive than even cpap.com. But the beauty of cpap.com is you don't have to play stupid DME games with a DME who will lie to you about everything. So at least go in to your insurer's DME as an informed consumer, and you can always use cpap.com instead.

As for masks, the right mask is the one that FITS you comfortably so you can sleep and also the one that meets your needs. If you need a full face mask because you can only breathe with your mouth open, a sleek, sexy :lol: nasal mask isn't going to work. CPAP.com has return insurance, so if a mask doesn't work for you, you can try another. Again, if you use a DME, make sure you understand their mask return policy. Manufacturers will replace the masks for free, but most DME's are too lazy to do the paperwork. So you might get stuck with a mask you don't like or doesn't work for you if you don't understand their policy. That won't happen with cpap.com.
What you need to know before you meet your DME http://tinyurl.com/2arffqx
Taming the Mirage Quattro http://tinyurl.com/2ft3lh8
Swift FX Fitting Guide http://tinyurl.com/22ur9ts
Don't Pay that Upcharge! http://tinyurl.com/2ck48rm

Respiration99

Post by Respiration99 » Thu Jun 04, 2020 8:21 pm

I won't expand on the excellent advice given above. However, before you go out and buy a machine it would probably be a good idea to understand your particular needs. You might just have plain vanilla obstructive apnea (the most common kind) or there might be complications like central / mixed apnea, UARS or other related conditions. If you do have these conditions, a different type of machine might be indicated. If you can, post a copy of your sleep report here. The full report with charts and tables, not just the one-page summary. And remember to erase your name, address, phone number etc.

The Resmed Airsense 10 AutoSet (and the For Her) are the most popular machines for obstructive sleep apnea, the most common type. But let's just confirm that's what you need before spending any money.

Revived1

Post by Revived1 » Fri Jun 05, 2020 8:44 am

I am a total newbie at this, but I did want to let you know of a mask that's worked for me. You mentioned that you sometimes sleep on your stomach, and mine is okay for that. (I checked on the site where I bought mine, and it said it's recommended for stomach sleepers, although I haven't tried it myself). The link is below.
The U.S. site also says, "It's also got one of the widest fields of vision among any mask, allowing you to see and do so much more before you fall asleep. Let nothing get in the way of your favorite activities!" I'm not sure exactly what they're referring to there, but it sounds like they may be thinking it could be sexy, after all. :)
Re: being overwhelmed, I've been through that feeling a lot lately! Having to learn so much all at one time, plus testing out equipment, etc. is daunting. I'm sure most people are a bit overwhelmed at first. I'm only about six weeks in, and I'm starting to get used to it. You will be fine once you get going. There are a lot of knowledgeable people on this site, and I have no doubt they will help you through it.
Good luck. :)

Cardsfan

Post by Cardsfan » Fri Jun 05, 2020 9:50 am

We've all been through what you are about to go through. Trust us, the process is worth it for your health. Just stick it out and ask for guidance when you need it. Don't worry about your sleeping partner. My husband is glad I don't snore and keep him up. The machine is very quiet. I was very conscious of how it looked on me, and we had been married for 20+ years. I slept with the sheet over my head for months. I'm over it now. :lol:

chunkyfrog

Post by chunkyfrog » Sat Jun 06, 2020 6:04 pm

Since the air intake is off YOUR side of the bed, it is a benefit
if your bedmate tries to give you a "dutch oven".
Just try not to abuse that feature. :lol:

Julie

Post by Julie » Sat Jun 06, 2020 6:14 pm

Being half asleep most of the time and having to ask people to repeat themselves is not especially attractive either, neither is asking for handouts because you got fired for sleeping on the job.