What's the best (easiest) way to clean your PAP mask + supplies?

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
sunnysideup

What's the best (easiest) way to clean your PAP mask + supplies?

Post by sunnysideup » Tue May 12, 2020 11:10 am

Hi. I'm a newbie and while PAP therapy seems to be working well, the cleaning regime is incredibly tedious. Since ease of use and maintenance is critical for compliance, hoping some of you veteran PAP users can share what's worked for you/what's best to use. Please share any tips/tricks and supplies you use (e.g. methods, brand, equipment, etc).

Current routine:
DAILY
-wash humidifier tub
-wash mask

WEEKLY
-wash hose (and mask)
-wash headgear
-de-scale humidifier tub
-check air filter
-wipe down PAP machine exterior

MONTHLY
-replace machine filter

FYI - my PAP stuff is all ResMed:
-S10 Autosense Autoset w/ humidifier
-ClimateLineAir heated tubing
-N30 and N20 nasal masks

I hate having to clean the mask/tub and change out tub water daily... So sometimes I won't use my machine until I wash everything (I'm a bit of a germaphob). Was thinking of getting CPAP wipes and an ozone/UV sanitizing machine. I know ResMed says using ozone will void the warranty, but I wonder if should get both the Lumin (not bullet) and the Sense8 for my hose only since the Lumin bullet won't work w/ ResMed's ClimateLineAir hoses and the Sense8 won't void the warranty on the PAP machine itself. Only concern is possible ozone leakage and using appropriate pre-wash soap. I'll still have to wipe/clean the mask daily, but do ozone/UV cleaning machines help make this whole process easier and safer?

I've also read about other germicidal cleaners, like Control III, can be used weekly to disinfect. Do I still need to pre-clean the mask and hose w/ soap, or can I just soak them in this cleaner?

What about using drugstore-strength hydrogen peroxide to disinfect? I've read some people disinfect w/ vinegar or sunlight, but those seem really harsh IMO. Peroxide can be harsh, but it doesn't seem any harsher than vinegar. Plus it turns into oxygen and water over time. Seems a little safer than Control III, but I'm not sure it's as effective. I haven't seen a lot of PAP users mentioning disinfecting w/ peroxide. If not, I'd like to use hypochlorous acid. It's gentle -- I use it on my eyes for blepharitis and hospitals use it to clean wounds. I've seen them on DME vendor sites (ie Defense Antimicrobial Skin Cleanser, CleanSmart CPAP Disinfectant Spray, PUROMEDI HOCL Spray Sanitizer). Unfortunately, I can't find it in stock right now due to the pandemic and don't want to use the small (expensive!) amount from my eyelid cleanser to wash my PAP supplies, but it says it even kills coronavirus!! For now, hoping hydrogen peroxide is a safe alternative.

I'm still trying to find a good washing soap. I have ResMed equipment and supplies, and they say to avoid using ozone and harsh/abrasive chemicals, as well as cleansers that are:
  • moisturizing
  • antibacterial
  • glycerine-based
  • aromatic; scented oils
  • citrus
  • alcohol
  • vinegar

I saw the recent thread about Dawn dishwashing soap, but I find it leaves a strong soap smell -- even after repeated cleansing. And a lot of other soaps (baby, eco-friendly) contain METHYLISOTHIAZOLINONE, which is really bad for you. Someone on the thread mentioned castile soap (Dr. Bronner's). I think I'll try that since it doesn't have glycerine like a lot of soaps do. Only issue is that the scented ones have oils, but they offer a "hemp baby unscented" and a hemp almond soap which I don't think have any aromatic oils.

In short, some questions:
  • What soap is best for washing PAP supplies (hose, mask, water tub, headgear)?
  • Best brand of CPAP wipes? (not citrus-scented) -- I don't like baby wipes since they smell funky and are linty
  • If I get CPAP wipes, will I still need to wash my mask w/ soap/water weekly?
  • Do ozone/UV cleaning machines help w/ cleaning (time, efficacy) and are they safe?
  • Thoughts on disinfecting w/ Control III or hydrogen peroxide (or hypochlorous acid)?
  • Supplies I need (i.e. buckets, hose cleaning hanger, hose brush -- are these really necessary?)
  • What's your cleaning routine? I keep my room around 75-83F, so I do worry about bacteria in the hose and water chamber...

Pugsy

Re: What's the best (easiest) way to clean your PAP mask + supplies?

Post by Pugsy » Tue May 12, 2020 11:22 am

sunnysideup wrote:
Tue May 12, 2020 11:10 am
Do ozone/UV cleaning machines help w/ cleaning (time, efficacy) and are they safe?
Do you understand the difference between "cleaning" and "disinfecting"?

Cleaning means removal of unwanted materials by some fashion.
Disinfecting (assuming the devices actually disinfect anything) means the killing of unwanted germs, bacteria, whatever.
Two entirely different processes.

All these various cleaning machines don't do anything to physically remove any dirt, grime, snot, oils, slobber or whatever from the equipment used. They all tell you to wash your stuff first and then use the device.
So they aren't saving you any time in terms of cleaning if you have to wash it first before you can "sanitize".
If you don't remove the snot, slobber, dirt, etc and use the device to nuke things...all you maybe get is sanitized dirt, oils, snot, slobber.

So...you save zero time in terms of cleaning anything. You still have to use some sort of physical removal of the snot, slobber, etc...like soap and water.

As to safety....ozone is a poisonous gas. Very dangerous for the lungs. Not FDA approved for one thing.

https://www.fda.gov/news-events/press-a ... one-gas-or

https://www.verywellhealth.com/do-you-n ... in-4171650

Your choice though....your time, your money, your lungs...up to you if you want to assume the risk or not.

If you want to try the Eclipse mask and want a special promo code to get a little off the price...send me a private message.

Dog Slobber

Post by Dog Slobber » Tue May 12, 2020 11:32 am

sunnysideup wrote:
Current routine:
DAILY
-wash humidifier tub
-wash mask

WEEKLY
-wash hose (and mask)
-wash headgear
-de-scale humidifier tub
-check air filter
-wipe down PAP machine exterior

MONTHLY
-replace machine filter
My routine is exactly the same as yours, except:
  • instead of washing my humidifier tub and mask daily, I wash mine every 2 to 3 weeks
  • and instead of descaling my humidifier weekly, I de-scale every 6 months or so
  • and instead of washing my hose weekly, I never wash mine
  • and instead of changing my filter every month, I change mine every 6 months
  • and the other stuff you do routinely, I'll do if I remember, maybe
But other than those few things, identical!

How cool is that?

ChicagoGranny

Post by ChicagoGranny » Tue May 12, 2020 11:42 am

sunnysideup wrote:
the cleaning regime is incredibly tedious
Your cleaning routine is incredibly tedious. Someone might could help you if you tell us what specifically you are afraid of?

My routine is similar to Dog Slobber's. Colds and other infections have become rare since I started using CPAP.

Cardsfan

Post by Cardsfan » Tue May 12, 2020 12:05 pm

You can try cutting back on your cleaning regime. :D Try skipping every other day.

Deborah K.

Post by Deborah K. » Tue May 12, 2020 12:29 pm

The only thing I wash daily is my face mask, mostly because it's a nasal pillows mask, and sits right on, slightly in my nostrils. I toss it into the bathroom sink, in pretty hot water with fragrance free, colorless dish soap (I like Seventh Generation's version) and wash it with my fingers or a designated soft toothbrush.

The water tank I happily just add water to every day. I descale it when the bottom looks coated, probably every month or two.

I change the secondary filter about once a month, and use canned air to blow any dust out of the main, longer lasting filter.

I wash the hose and headgear close to never.

It took me WAY longer to write this than it takes to do most all of my maintenance.
Machine: Resmed AirSense 10 Autoset For Her
Mask: Bleep Dreamport mask system

Wulfman...

Post by Wulfman... » Tue May 12, 2020 12:38 pm

After you've been on this therapy awhile, you'll learn......."Less is more".
Frequent cleaning routines are designed to wear out your equipment faster......which is advantageous to the folks who sell the supplies. The more YOU clean, the more MONEY they make.
Some past discussions:

viewtopic.php?p=567264#p567264

Den

(5) REMstar Autos w/C-Flex & (6) REMstar Pro 2 CPAPs w/C-Flex - Pressure Setting = 14 cm.
"Passover" Humidification - ResMed Ultra Mirage FF - Encore Pro w/Card Reader & MyEncore software - Chiroflow pillow
User since 05/14/05

LSAT

Post by LSAT » Tue May 12, 2020 12:48 pm

Most people NEVER read their owners manual where it offers a cleaning regimen and says to use soap and water

chunkyfrog
Location: Nebraska--I am sworn to keep the secret of this paradise.

Post by chunkyfrog » Tue May 12, 2020 1:24 pm

Nasal pillows--baby wipe, maybe once a week.
Hose--never
Tank--when it looks nasty
Headgear--when they stretch out and don't fit properly
Machine--dusted when dust is visible.
My germs are my germs--once they are mine, they cannot hurt me.

palerider

Post by palerider » Tue May 12, 2020 3:22 pm

sunnysideup wrote:
I have ResMed equipment and supplies, and they say to avoid using ozone and harsh/abrasive chemicals, as well as cleansers that are:
  • alcohol
Alcohol has no effect on silicone. I wiped my cushion with an alcohol swab for *years* and it never wore out.
sunnysideup wrote:
I saw the recent thread about Dawn dishwashing soap, but I find it leaves a strong soap smell
Not the unscented version. I've used dawn for years.
sunnysideup wrote:
-- even after repeated cleansing. And a lot of other soaps (baby, eco-friendly) contain METHYLISOTHIAZOLINONE, which is really bad for you.
Then don't drink it.

Accounts to put on the foe list: dataq1, clownbell, gearchange, lynninnj, mper!?, DreamDiver, Geer1, almostadoctor, sleepgeek, ajack, stom, mogy, D.H., They often post misleading, timewasting stuff.

Okie bipap

Post by Okie bipap » Tue May 12, 2020 4:08 pm

I wash our masks, cushions, strap pads and water reservoirs weekly (Monday morning). I check the filters the first Monday of each month and change them when I think they need it. The only time I clean the hose is after one of us has been sick (bronchitis, flu, etc.). I think I may have washed my hose out last year after I had the asthma attack from hell and ended up in the hospital twice in one week. When I first started I washed every thing once a week. That lasted about two months before I decided I didn't need to clean things that often. The best advice I can give you is to clean to the level you are comfortable with.

Growing old is mandatory, but growing up is optional.

DreamDiver

Post by DreamDiver » Wed May 13, 2020 8:06 pm

This routine is a lot.
If it helps you to keep your life under control, don't stop. If you get tired of it, know that others are doing quite well with a less strenuous routine.

I'm in the Dog Slobber camp.

When I do wash stuff I use Method unscented gel hand soap. If I can't find that, I use Method Grapefruit Scented gel hand soap. It's awfully mild, and the grapefruit scent only lasts as long as five minutes after stuff is dry. I'm not fond of most scented stuff, but Method uses only enough to bother the label.

I've got a bottle of Control III I still haven't opened.

Don't use Ozone. It will void any warranties and is considered unsafe/unhealthy. I use an ozone-free ionizer to deodorize some stuff, but only rarely.

Chris

Most members of this forum are wonderful.
However, if you are the target of bullying on this forum, please consider these excellent alternative forums:
Apnea Board
Sleep Apnea Talk Forum
Free CPAP Advice

Be well,
Chris

Jeffj318

Post by Jeffj318 » Mon Feb 15, 2021 10:24 am

chunkyfrog wrote:
Tue May 12, 2020 1:24 pm
Nasal pillows--baby wipe, maybe once a week.
Hose--never
Tank--when it looks nasty
Headgear--when they stretch out and don't fit properly
Machine--dusted when dust is visible.
My germs are my germs--once they are mine, they cannot hurt me.
Thank you for this superb post and cleaning regime.
I am the caretaker for my wife who just started using her CPAP machine, etc.
This will certainly help me as I was going to go crazy with cleaning.
Resmed Airsense 10 For Her set on the For Her mode.
Phillips Dreamwear nasal cushion mask
My wife is the CPAP user.

kempo

Post by kempo » Wed Feb 17, 2021 11:33 am

Same as chunkyfrog except I wash the nose pillow in warm water and Dawn dishwashing liquid every morning, rinse and shake.

raisedfist

Post by raisedfist » Sun Feb 21, 2021 7:59 am

Every weekend I just fill the sink with warm, soapy water and clean the mask and humidifier chamber. Mask wipes once in a while during the week if I see any gunk inside the cushion from mouth breathing.

PS Min 6, PS Max 18, EPAP Min 4, EPAP Max 12