How does an ASV work?

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
mangos21

How does an ASV work?

Post by mangos21 » Sun Nov 12, 2017 8:22 pm

just curious how an ASV actually works. I’ve read that it’s for complex sleep apnea and krakow recommends it for UARS patients. But what exactly does it do? How’s it different than an auto pap?

Re: How does an ASV work?

Post by Guest » Sun Nov 12, 2017 8:35 pm

mangos21 wrote:just curious how an ASV actually works. I’ve read that it’s for complex sleep apnea and krakow recommends it for UARS patients. But what exactly does it do? How’s it different than an auto pap?
Do a Google search on "Adaptive servo-ventilation" and start reading.

mangos21

Post by mangos21 » Sun Nov 12, 2017 8:55 pm

Haha I watched a YouTube video which explained it. So it’s basicaly a bipap that adjusts pressures on the basis of an algorithm.

Scoopedfrom another post...

An ASV is a different beast. It adjusts pressures, but instead of watching events like an auto machine to decide what pressure levels, it watches the breathing pattern and volumes. It adjusts pressures each breath as it happens. It doesn't have to wait for an event to happen and then down the road increase it - it'll increase it as it notices your breath isn't "deep" enough, or an abnormal breath pattern is happening. It also has a backup rate like the ST for if you stop breathing, like the BiPAP ST.

Thanks

palerider

Post by palerider » Sun Nov 12, 2017 10:33 pm

mangos21 wrote:Haha I watched a YouTube video which explained it. So it’s basicaly a bipap that adjusts pressures on the basis of an algorithm.
It's a bilevel that adjusts pressures *ON EVERY BREATH* on the basis of an algorithm. Other bilevels do it over a period of minutes.

Accounts to put on the foe list: dataq1, clownbell, gearchange, lynninnj, mper!?, DreamDiver, Geer1, almostadoctor, sleepgeek, ajack, stom, mogy, D.H., They often post misleading, timewasting stuff.

bwexler

Post by bwexler » Mon Nov 13, 2017 3:28 pm

Assuming everything already said is correct they work very well once you convince them who's boss.
When I first started on ASV the machine and I could not agree on weather I should be inhaling or exhaling. After a couple of months we seemed to come to some sort of mutual agreement. So now it is very rare for us to disagree.

mangos21

Post by mangos21 » Fri Nov 17, 2017 11:07 am

Does an ASV respond to UARS events? APAP did not respond to mine so I'm curious. I have an asv I found for $1000 bucks off craigslist and I want to use it, but not really sure how. trying to decide if I should shell out the dough to see Krakow or just try to titrate myself on this complicated machine.

it seems Krakow is kinda hit or miss.. I've read a couple users (lostsheep, patrissimo) having success after his titrations, but others have not. I've tried a range of cpap and bipap pressures without any success. there isn't any useful data being recorded since the machines don't pick up my events. figure asv is my last shot before I consider surgery or starve myself.

mangos21

Post by mangos21 » Fri Nov 17, 2017 11:30 am

also, any difference between respironics ASVs and resmed ASVs? Krakow seems to exclusively rx resmed's

Post by Guest » Fri Nov 17, 2017 12:00 pm

xxyzx wrote:ASV self titrates
the machine is not that complicated
Plain and stupid bullshit.

mangos21

Post by mangos21 » Fri Nov 17, 2017 12:20 pm

xxyzx wrote:
mangos21 wrote:Does an ASV respond to UARS events? APAP did not respond to mine so I'm curious. I have an asv I found for $1000 bucks off craigslist and I want to use it, but not really sure how. trying to decide if I should shell out the dough to see Krakow or just try to titrate myself on this complicated machine.

it seems Krakow is kinda hit or miss.. I've read a couple users (lostsheep, patrissimo) having success after his titrations, but others have not. I've tried a range of cpap and bipap pressures without any success. there isn't any useful data being recorded since the machines don't pick up my events. figure asv is my last shot before I consider surgery or starve myself.
======

what is a UARs event ??

my ASV does not know about RERA UARs RDI or other things
the ASV is just a bipap with a back up rate in case you stop breathing due to centrals

the ASV responds to maintain flow at your normal rate
UARs is mostly mumbo jumbo theory right now and unlikely to respond to yet more pressure

ASV self titrates

surgery would be a major mistake

getting your weight down is always a good idea

the 'events' on my study mostly went into the spontaneous arousal category. however, i'm confident that they are due to sleep disordered breathing. I did get straight PAP to work for me when i simultaneously took a medication called clonidine, which lowers sympathetic activity in the brain. when using PAP plus the pill together (each intervention on its own did nothing) it quite literally eliminated all of my symptoms and i slept through the night. i woke up refreshed with energy. nocturia episodes disappeared as well. best sleep i've had in my life. it was like a fire ignited deep in my brain. unfortunately i had to get off the medication prior to a surgical procedure, and now for some reason it doesn't work anymore.

i might try prazosin next but i'm not hopeful about it.

since then i've had a tonsillectomy which helped a bit, and a septoplasty which did nothing.

i really want pap therapy to work, i'm compliant and have no issues with it.

the user named GreenSleeper in this thread describes his experience with xpap and asv and i'm hopeful i can pull something similar off.

viewtopic/t98357/How-is-UARS-Diagnosed.html

Post by Guest » Fri Nov 17, 2017 4:39 pm

xxyzx wrote:
Guest wrote:
xxyzx wrote:ASV self titrates
Plain and stupid bullshit.
========

you describe yourself perfectly

too bad you dont know crap about how an ASV works

it does self titrate
it is very simple to use

although it may be too complicated for your sawdust brain to grok
commi propaganda
go back to russia

palerider

Post by palerider » Fri Nov 17, 2017 8:12 pm

mangos21 wrote:also, any difference between respironics ASVs and resmed ASVs? Krakow seems to exclusively rx resmed's
because they're better.

Accounts to put on the foe list: dataq1, clownbell, gearchange, lynninnj, mper!?, DreamDiver, Geer1, almostadoctor, sleepgeek, ajack, stom, mogy, D.H., They often post misleading, timewasting stuff.

mangos21

Post by mangos21 » Fri Nov 17, 2017 10:23 pm

palerider wrote:
mangos21 wrote:also, any difference between respironics ASVs and resmed ASVs? Krakow seems to exclusively rx resmed's
because they're better.
How so?

mangos21

Post by mangos21 » Fri Nov 17, 2017 10:26 pm

palerider wrote:
because they're better.
How so? Quicker to respond to irregular breathing? Better algorithm?

Pugsy

Post by Pugsy » Fri Nov 17, 2017 10:37 pm

mangos21 wrote: How so? Quicker to respond to irregular breathing? Better algorithm?
Quicker to respond to irregular breathing. It can make some rather dramatic changes relatively quickly whereas apap can take several minutes to make changes.
More likely to respond faster to to subtle changes in respiration that make up UARS.

The algorithm in in the ASV is designed for both obstructive stuff and central stuff and the central stuff needs a quick response time for when it breathes for you when you don't....so that also means it's going to respond rather quickly to the obstructive stuff too.

The algorithm is obviously better for centrals because the other cpap/apap machines can't breathe for you...so it's better in that sense but it's not so much "better" as it is "different" because the problems each algorithm is trying to deal with are different.

Using ASV for UARS is sort of "off label" and not commonly done except by Dr Krakow.

If you want to try the Eclipse mask and want a special promo code to get a little off the price...send me a private message.

mangos21

Post by mangos21 » Fri Nov 17, 2017 11:03 pm

Thanks pugsy. Was wondering why the previous poster suggested resmeds are better than resporonics ASVs though.