New to ASV. Lots of questions.

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
Lozaman

New to ASV. Lots of questions.

Post by Lozaman » Fri Jul 26, 2019 10:05 pm

Hello all. Sorry if these are lame newbie questions but I’ve searched the forum and didn’t see answers I could use. My background: relatively healthy 49 yo male in CA here, started waking up 6 weeks ago from not breathing (or extremely shallow breathing). My primary doc/HMO is slow and still waiting on referrals for heart doc, neurologist, brain MRI etc. I took matters into my own hands and paid for sleep studies which showed central apneas (no OSA) and CPAP did nothing but keep me awake, so they tried ASV which seemed to work for the short time I slept while there. Lost lots of weight too (maybe from stress and cutting all sugar and alcohol since this started). Bought a Resmed Aircurve 10 ASV machine the sleep center recommended (with Airfit F20 mask). Been using it 3 nights. Takes a while to get to sleep due to anxiety I guess so I take 1/2 ambien, maybe sleep 3 hours, then wake up, another 1/2 ambien and fitful sleep after that. I’m a side sleeper so mask moves, leaks, “fart” sounds, I tighten it all the way, then it leaves marks, also squishes skin below my eyes. Also get air in my cheeks and have to blow it out. All this disturbs my sleep. Really struggling here.

My questions are: (1) If my machine tells me my AHI is only .7 per hour over 10 hours, isn’t that way off if I only slept 5 hours? It doesn’t know when I’m asleep right? (2) Should I be trying different masks or nasal pillows? I generally nose breathe. (3) What does DME stand for? Thanks for any advice. This has almost ruined my life as I can barely focus and am tired and it’s putting stress on my heart. I must say that so far I haven’t woken up with a crazy 200 bpm racing heart like I did before the machine because I assume it doesn’t let me stop breathing for so long anymore so that’s good!

Pugsy

Re: New to ASV. Lots of questions.

Post by Pugsy » Fri Jul 26, 2019 10:23 pm

Lozaman wrote:
Fri Jul 26, 2019 10:05 pm
My questions are:
(1) If my machine tells me my AHI is only .7 per hour over 10 hours, isn’t that way off if I only slept 5 hours? It doesn’t know when I’m asleep right?
Why do you think it is off? It only records any apneas/hyponeas that it senses that slipped past the defenses. There is no way to know how many it prevented by breathing for you. It doesn't know if you are awake or not though....all it can measure is air flow or breathing. You are doing great.
Lozaman wrote:
(2) Should I be trying different masks or nasal pillows? I generally nose breathe.
If you want to try a different mask then by all means...try whatever interests you. The nasal masks have less surface area to deal with and generally are easier to get sealed and keep sealed without all the mask farts and they don't have to be tight to get it done.
Lozaman wrote:
(3) What does DME stand for?
DME....Durable Medical Equipment is the official term but we often use it in association with the brick and mortar store that sells durable medical equipment and supplies the machine and mask and accessories to you.

Air in the cheeks...we call it chipmunk cheeks...search the forum for past discussions and hints on how to deal with it.
Fairly common annoyance.

If your mask is uncomfortable or leaking...you aren't going to sleep so great.
What nasal mask were you looking at trying?

Welcome to the forum.

If you want to try the Eclipse mask and want a special promo code to get a little off the price...send me a private message.

ajack

Re: New to ASV. Lots of questions.

Post by ajack » Sat Jul 27, 2019 2:56 am

The F20 takes a couple of weeks to soften up, It will feel better. You need to sort out the leaks and there is a mask fit function that blows high pressure to help you. If you go to apneaboard, you can download the clinical manual and software called OSCAR to veiw your results.