Sleep Apnea, CPAP and Memory Loss

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
cpmjohn

Sleep Apnea, CPAP and Memory Loss

Post by cpmjohn » Mon Nov 20, 2006 7:14 pm

I know this will sound weird to most, but I'm hoping someone will be able to answer my question: does sleep apnea cause bouts of memory loss?

I'm 61 and for the last year, about every three months, have been waking up with fairly severe short term memory loss. I will be unable to remember what I had for dinner, conversations with my wife or what I might have seen on TV.

I can eventually get back the memories, but only going through written material (TV guide), talking with my wife or just plain "rebuilding time."

Oh, and ALWAYS, with the memory loss, comes a very strong ENHANCED sense of smell and taste. Yes, I can taste and smell things in ways that I never imagine existed. Then, the next morning, things are back to normal...memory and taste. (Sometimes the memories take a couple days to regain.)

As a Kaiser user, I've had the CT scan, an MRI and even a lumbar puncture (to diagnose NPH ((Normal Pressure Hydrocephalus)). My Dr. is out of ideas and adamant that I buy a CPAP. I don't believe SA is causing my problem and I really don't care to buy something I don't need. (I had taken the test and it showed only a "slight" susceptibility to it.)

Anyone have any helpful suggestions or comments. (And thanks for sticking through the reading.)
cpmjohn

rustynail

Re: Sleep Apnea, CPAP and Memory Loss

Post by rustynail » Mon Nov 20, 2006 7:34 pm

cpmjohn wrote:I know this will sound weird to most, but I'm hoping someone will be able to answer my question: does sleep apnea cause bouts of memory loss?
Not wierd at all. Makes me crazy to get up and go into another room to get something only to stand there and not be able to recall what I went there for.... then i go back from where I started this strange odyssey of mine, and 'oh yeah,' go back into the other room and have forgotten again. I can do this game five times in a row or so, until i remember to do the 'get the bag, get the bag, get the bag' chant so i can end the silliness.

I'm 47 and have been doing this for years now... The more uninterrupted sleep I get while using my cpap, the less this happens and it even disappeared at the time i was able to be truly compliant.

I am sure that others will respond here with great information (i believe there were some links, but I can't remember...). I woke up and it is ß2:30am here so I shall cease rambling on and let someone else jump in with better info.

kteague

Memory loss

Post by kteague » Mon Nov 20, 2006 7:36 pm

CMPJohn,

Any long term sleep disruption can impair your cognitive abilities, and for me, analytical thinking and short term recall were most affected.

I am a bit confused - you had a sleep study and it showed mild sleep apnea? Can you get the detailed results of your sleep study and post them here? Although I had sleep apnea, my first test was negative because limb movements interrupted my sleep so much the Apnea never had a chance to manifest. Also, if you didn't rest well the night of the study, those results may not be indicative of your propensity toward sleep apnea under normal circumstances.

If your doc would give you a trial on an autopap with data capabilities, you could tell if in familiar circumstances you have issues with apnea, without an initial long-term commitment. Not sure about that smell & taste thing haven't have that experience.

lvwildcat

Post by lvwildcat » Mon Nov 20, 2006 7:39 pm

BRAIN FOG-preCPAP it was a way of life for me. Thankfully I have been brain fog free since using CPAP. It can be very frustrating and SCAREY!

-SWS

Re: Sleep Apnea, CPAP and Memory Loss

Post by -SWS » Mon Nov 20, 2006 7:41 pm

cpmjohn wrote: I'm 61 and for the last year, about every three months, have been waking up with fairly severe short term memory loss. I will be unable to remember what I had for dinner, conversations with my wife or what I might have seen on TV.
I'm 48 and have been getting that for many years on a very frequent basis. It's always the trivial matters that seem to fall by memory's wayside. One of my clients, a Yale-trained physician and inventor of surgical techniques, once told me to not even worry about this. He claimed this was simply "selective memory" at work. By contrast my own primary physician attributed my short-term memory losses to the residual effects of untreated sleep apnea. But he also very emphatically told me not to worry about it.

Of course, with my memory the way it is, I can't remember if there were any other doctors to whom I may have mentioned this annoying recall problem of mine. Bottom line is that you should mention your memory loss to your doctor(s). Allow them to properly screen you for relevant health concerns. However, if they tell you not to worry, then take their good advice. Good luck!

snufflepgs

Post by snufflepgs » Mon Nov 20, 2006 7:48 pm

Are you on any medications? The taste/smell thing sounds like it could be a side effect of certain meds.

cpmjohn

Post by cpmjohn » Mon Nov 20, 2006 8:05 pm

Thanks to all so far. I'm still learning the system but this reply should cover all through snufflepgs.
My symptoms are not at really what I call "brain fog." I don't forget what I went into a room for, I plain have a blank memory when I wake up, for both the trival and important. Often, the whole day before is GONE, but always the evening before for sure. Have never used drugs but we will sometimes split a bottle of wine...two glasses...but it's happened to me without any alcohol at all.
I'm on an antidepressant, but this happened before...that's why the meds were prescribed...I'm self employed and pressured for income right now. Clearly, the meds don't work.
I believe I have the results somewhere for overnight test I took. I'll try to post them tomorrow. Again, because the Dr. could not address the obvious smell-taste enhancement, along with my "mild" test results, I didn't care to try the CPAP. However, I'm now thinking about it, but there looks to be 5000 options to consider. Is there one "simple" unit to try that can cover most problems/situations?

Snoredog

Post by Snoredog » Mon Nov 20, 2006 8:26 pm

Very common for memory loss to be associated with Sleep Apnea. Memory should return with treatment. As for the increased sensitivity to smell?

I think your doctor was correct to rule out NPH and the spinal tap, but NPH can be very difficult to diagnose because it mimics other disorders such as early stages of Alzheimer's. Enlarged ventricles can be seen with MRI, that is if you have a image 1-2 years earlier that they can compare it to, very few people have that.

As you know CSF is mainly flushed out with the blood and new CSF is produced to replace it. All part of health.

In order for that blood exchange to take place you have to be well hydrated. As we get older our bodies don't do such a great job at letting us know we are thirsty, so you end up dehydrated. So you have to make a conscience effort to replenish your fluids.

I'm only 50, I tried once to drink the recommend water per day (8ea x 8oz. glasses of water or 64 ounces per day), it meant I nearly had to carry a water bottle around with me all day taking sips every few minutes to drink that much. I think if you wrote down actually how much water you drink, you have a hard time drinking half that. Nothing works when you are dehydrated.

I would also suggest a good multi-vitamin like Centrum Silver for adults, it seems to be well balanced and contain the vitamins that improve cerebral blood flow which helps with memory. Those vitamins are mainly B6, B12 and Folic Acid (Folate). The one I find is pretty good is Costco's Kirkland brand Daily Multi for Mature Adults, it is very easy on the stomach (I have history of ulcers), it is well balanced and probably has everything you need. It is item #928446.

Drink lots of water, make sure it is pure not that city tap water full of nitrates, chlorine, fluoride and Chevron ethyl

Sleepy-eyes

Post by Sleepy-eyes » Mon Nov 20, 2006 9:44 pm

I'm just getting started on my CPAP "journey". I've read so many things are corrected when one gets on a regular treatment schedule, that I'm looking forward to being more virile, able to remember as well as I did when younger, and heck, who knows, maybe even able to leap tall buildings! If this treatment "cures" only half of what is claimed, I can only imagine how improved life will be.

Chris

I'm not a Doctor, nor am I associated with the medical profession in any way. Any comments I make are just personal opinions. Take them or leave them. (justa don't gripe at me if ya donna like 'em!)

Moogy

Post by Moogy » Mon Nov 20, 2006 9:54 pm

cpmjohn wrote:Is there one "simple" unit to try that can cover most problems/situations?
ResMed AutoPAP with Cflex is a good all-around problem-solver. The mask fit is very individual, and so it is difficult to suggest one that is right for most people.

Your smell issues are very interesting, esp. as they relate to memory loss. I suspect that the doctors will NEVER figure out the cause of that symptom. Have you kept a diary to try to figure out what might trigger your problems?

Moogy

Moogy
started bipap therapy 3/8/2006
pre-treatment AHI 102.5;
Now on my third auto bipap machine, pressures 16-20.5

curtcurt46

Post by curtcurt46 » Mon Nov 20, 2006 10:25 pm

CPMJOHN,
Have you been diagnoised with sleep apnea?
If so, then for sure your memory issues may be part of the problems the OSA can cause.
If you have sleep apnea, then CPAP therapy is the gold standard for dealing with the problem.

oldgearhead

Post by oldgearhead » Tue Nov 21, 2006 8:08 am

ResMed AutoPAP with Cflex
ResMed does not have C-Flex, ResMed has EPR. However, EPR cannot be used in "Auto" mode.

ResMed Auto = S8 Vantage with EPR

Respironics Auto = The RemStar Auto and RemStar Auto "M", all with C-Flex.

CPMJohn - I am assuming you had a PSG (sleep study). There is probably a good reasom, like low SAO2 values, that caused the Doc to recommend xPAP.

CPAPopedia Keywords Contained In This Post (Click For Definition): respironics, resmed, C-FLEX, cflex, auto

People have more fun than anybody..

cpmjohn

Post by cpmjohn » Tue Nov 21, 2006 11:52 am

Thanks again for all the comments since my 9:05 pm post...last night.
I've been taking a Centrum Silver religiously for at least a year now.
I do get plenty of liquids daily.
I've kept a somewhat diary...but clearly not detailed enough. I find nothing that triggers the one-day event of memory loss/enhanced smell and taste. And, since they are ALWAYS combined and no one here makes a correlation, that's what leads me away from CPAP.
My sleep test, earlier this year, was inconclusive...it showed I was only mildly susceptible to it.
Three reasons I'm not inclined to jump into a CPAP:
1. I did not show a strong susceptibility
2. I want to get to the cause of my problem as soon as possible...I'd like to not suffer any more incidents.
3. If it's not going to solve my problem, I'd rather not spend the time it's obviously going to take to research the right CPAP devise for me. (The numbers and type of equipment...i.e. pillows?...are imposing.)
One reason for going with is that I have three friends using them "voluntarily" and swearing by them. (Better sleep and feel better in the morning.) But none had memory losses to begin with.
Is there one "inexpensive" unit that I could try?
Do your spouses use ear plugs to hide the sounds?
Thanks again, CPMJohn

sleepylady

Post by sleepylady » Tue Nov 21, 2006 2:08 pm

cpmJohn,

If you got the test results, please post them. Many here understand and can give you an idea if you have mild sleep apnea. That way you would know if the cost might be worth it.

As to the earplugs, my db wears his religiously. While my little APAP isn't loud, he needs a completely quiet environment in order to sleep. Once he has those little guys in, he's out for the count.

Melinda

Sleepy-eyes

Post by Sleepy-eyes » Tue Nov 21, 2006 2:16 pm

Don't know what it's worth, but I'm really anal when it comes to a quiet environment in which to sleep. When my girlfriend first got her ResMed, I was just sure the noise was going to be distracting. Could I hear it? Of course. Was it as loud as her snoring? Not by a long shot. I got used to the new sound in the room within a week. Then when I got my RemStar I thought it sounded like the afterburner of a jet. I was really disappointed. Thought I'd never get used to it. Did everything, short of putting it outside the window, to get away from the noise. I now have 192 hours on it and the noise doesn't bother me one bit. Just hang in there. Many of your original complaints will cure themselves in time. I know mine have and are.

Chris

I'm not a Doctor, nor am I associated with the medical profession in any way. Any comments I make are just personal opinions. Take them or leave them. (justa don't gripe at me if ya donna like 'em!)