P&B 420e APAP develops a whine

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
sleepylady

P&B 420e APAP develops a whine

Post by sleepylady » Tue May 01, 2007 9:06 am

Well after a little over a year and 3,382 hours of use, my little machine developed a high pitched whine. I checked out the hose and got a new plastic coupling for the humidifier, but found that didn't help. Sooo, off to the DME I went to turn it in. They (DME) said it would be sent in to be repaired and it would take a month. Now my DME only deals with ResMed machines and I had to fight to get my P&B from them. I think it really helped my dr. specifically wrote the script for the machine I wanted. Anyway, I got a call from my Respiratory Therapist on Saturday, less than two weeks mind you, that they had received a warranty replacement machine. Wooooooooooooooo Hooooooooooooo. I am so happy that P&B replaced this machine so I now have another two-year warranty.

When I was first looking at what machine to get I knew that these little units sometimes had these problems, but I'm still glad I have this machine. It works great for my OSA.

Has anyone else found after a year of solid use that they developed this whining problem and had to have their machine replaced? Has anyone developed this problem after the warranty expired. If so, what happened?

TXKajun

Post by TXKajun » Tue May 01, 2007 11:01 am

It's always good to hear positive stuff about companies! Thanks for the report.

I didn't develop a whine, but a little over 2 years after I got mine (warranty period is 2 years), the littls nipple where the sensor tube plugs into the main body of the machine broke. Of course, it happened when I was just starting a week-long trip.

I'd bought my 420E from cpap.com and called them up. They gave me the phone # for PB. I called them, got a verbal ok to return the machine for replacement. I called cpap.com again and they asked for a Return Authorization Number. Huh? At that point, I figured I was going to get a royal runaround, but one more call to PB fixed it. The PB rep conferenced in the cpap.com person, gave the information and RA #. Then when I got back from my trip, cpap.com had emailed me their RA # and instructions on returning the unit. I sent the 420E back to cpap.com and it was replace free of charge. WOWZERS!! Impressive service from both cpap.com and PB. Only thing, it took about 10 days from the time I sent it out until the replacement arrived. I'm definitely going to look into renting a replacement if/when this ever happens again.

Kajun

mild6

Post by mild6 » Tue May 01, 2007 11:55 pm

I've been using my PB for a little over a year now, with two times of returning and being replaced, all due to the whinning sound. All I needed for both cases was to absorb the transportation costs, which are not immaterial for me, coz I live in Hong Kong. But both CPAP.com and PB were good and response to my problems. I guess the PB guys must be aware of the whinning sound problem since they have been receiving so many returns.

dsm

Re: P&B 420e APAP develops a whine

Post by dsm » Wed May 02, 2007 6:09 am

[quote="sleepylady"]Well after a little over a year and 3,382 hours of use, my little machine developed a high pitched whine. I checked out the hose and got a new plastic coupling for the humidifier, but found that didn't help. Sooo, off to the DME I went to turn it in. They (DME) said it would be sent in to be repaired and it would take a month. Now my DME only deals with ResMed machines and I had to fight to get my P&B from them. I think it really helped my dr. specifically wrote the script for the machine I wanted. Anyway, I got a call from my Respiratory Therapist on Saturday, less than two weeks mind you, that they had received a warranty replacement machine. Wooooooooooooooo Hooooooooooooo. I am so happy that P&B replaced this machine so I now have another two-year warranty.

When I was first looking at what machine to get I knew that these little units sometimes had these problems, but I'm still glad I have this machine. It works great for my OSA.

Has anyone else found after a year of solid use that they developed this whining problem and had to have their machine replaced? Has anyone developed this problem after the warranty expired. If so, what happened?

xPAP and Quattro std mask (plus a pad-a-cheek anti-leak strap)

tangents

Post by tangents » Wed May 02, 2007 6:38 am

DSM,

I've been comparing data logging machines for weeks now, trying to decide which will be the best choice. With Respironics pulling their software, and Resmed recalling their machines, I had just about committed to buying a Puritan Bennett. The only models I see on CPAP.COM are the 400 series. Is your 330 an older model?

Thanks,
Cathy

dsm

Post by dsm » Wed May 02, 2007 4:19 pm

Yes,

The PB330 is still for sale but it is an older model even though very small. The PB4xx series are the new ones.

The one problem with PB330 is that it doesn't record nightly data. Because of that I bought a Bipap S/T & shock horror, it doesn't record detailed AHI just ventilation & the night's av for AHI. Then I got a Vpap III & it does record AI HI Minute Ventilation & Leak in detail.

The Standard Bipap (Pro 2 & Auto) do record detailed nightly data.

Of the three main sets of software I rate them as follows (this doesn't include the freeware developed by cpaptalk members which is very good)

1) Silverlining (PB) easy to install easy to read
2) AutoScan (Resmed) easy to install - a bit fiddly reading the detail AI HI but it is there
3) Encore Pro (Respironics) a dog to install - data is arguably not as well presented as Autoscan. But with Encore Pro a couple of cpaptalk regulars have made up for its deficiencies in the dispaly dept & their efforts are excellent (J Skinner's program is the current one to get).

DSM

xPAP and Quattro std mask (plus a pad-a-cheek anti-leak strap)