Flying with CPAP

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
Sleepy-eyes

Flying with CPAP

Post by Sleepy-eyes » Sat Feb 24, 2007 5:36 pm

Okay, I just got off the plane on my trip. When we boarded in Oklahoma City, they counted our two CPAP machines as carryon! We had 4 checked bags, 3 carryon and 2 CPAP machines. I argued with them, but they even went to their "higher up" and said they definately counted as carryon...............so we had to pay $50 for the "extra" bag. I told them I'd file a complaint report when we get back home, and they said.........."so file"! I'll research it when we get home, but I'd sure appreciate a link to the regulation so we don't have to pay for the extra bag going home.

Any help on this one would be welcomed.

Chris

I'm not a Doctor, nor am I associated with the medical profession in any way. Any comments I make are just personal opinions. Take them or leave them. (justa don't gripe at me if ya donna like 'em!)

alpha1340

Post by alpha1340 » Sat Feb 24, 2007 5:46 pm

alpha1340

Post by alpha1340 » Sat Feb 24, 2007 5:48 pm

Sorry for the dup reply. But most airlines allow you two checked bags and 1 carry-on. If you only paid for one "extra bag" then they were correct. Because you said you had 4 checked bags, 3 carry-ons, and 2 cpap machines.

Sleepy-eyes

Post by Sleepy-eyes » Sat Feb 24, 2007 6:01 pm

There were two of us, flying with two tickets. Each ticket holder is authorized two bags and two carryons. The CPAP machines are not supposed to be counted as carryon, so we should have been able to carry the "charged for" bag onto the aircraft as carryon.

Chris

I'm not a Doctor, nor am I associated with the medical profession in any way. Any comments I make are just personal opinions. Take them or leave them. (justa don't gripe at me if ya donna like 'em!)

hayeswildrick

Post by hayeswildrick » Sat Feb 24, 2007 6:06 pm

The link above says:

The limit of one carry-on bag and one personal bag (e.g., purse or briefcase) for each traveler does not apply to medical supplies and/or assistive devices (including service animals and their equipment). Passengers with disabilities generally may carry medical equipment, medications, and assistive devices on board the aircraft.

The provision seems to be for those with disabilities, presumably so that they have immediate access to medical supplies and/or equipment that is relevant to their disability. Unless we're planning to hook up our hoses on the plane, I'm dubious over whether this applies to CPAP.

Jeff

curtcurt46

Post by curtcurt46 » Sat Feb 24, 2007 6:10 pm

You now have the DOT, FAA and TSA position on carry-on baggage. You also need to go on line and read the airlines policy. If it's American I can tell you they allow medical devises such as CPAP to come on without counting toward the carry on limit.
Did you have 5 carry-on's. That is the way the post read. I can see if you had 3 + the 2 cpaps the airline may have deemed one being too many and in fact made an excess bag charge.

Please advise and post to the forum as you resolve this issue. Please tell us the airline you were using.

CPAPopedia Keywords Contained In This Post (Click For Definition): CPAP

SleepySandy

Post by SleepySandy » Sat Feb 24, 2007 6:16 pm

I would like to know - what airline was it?

Sleepy-eyes

Post by Sleepy-eyes » Sat Feb 24, 2007 6:19 pm

Delta
Chris

billbolton

Post by billbolton » Sat Feb 24, 2007 6:53 pm

hayeswildrick wrote:Unless we're planning to hook up our hoses on the plane, I'm dubious over whether this applies to CPAP.
This is really the crux of the issue and appears to be largely untested in the US in a legislative sense.

Cheers,

Bill

Born Tired

Post by Born Tired » Sat Feb 24, 2007 7:15 pm

I flew Delta at Christmas. Had 1 carry-on, 1 personal and my Cpap. No problems. I have flown with my Cpap probably 4 or so times and so far have had no problems any time. This last trip was the first time they took me aside to swab the machine down (looking for explosives ). Someone on the forum had given a heads up about that and advised travellers to clean their machines before flying so I gave it a quick wipe off. The inspector said "This machine is so much cleaner than most that I see." My thanks to whoever gave the advice.
Esther
--

My husband says, "Esther is not a morning person---and it goes downhill from there."

I Thes. 5:16 "Rejoice evermore."

sleepinginseattle

Post by sleepinginseattle » Sat Feb 24, 2007 7:24 pm

Sleepy-eyes,

Can you clarify, were the CPAPs in a bag by themselves or were they packed with other personal items?

I've flown on Delta without any issues. Your post raises important questions for all travelers.

I'm not a frequent flier but I've been on 12 journeys in the past year and haven't had a single instance where the cpap as allowable extra carry-on has been challenged. But, I'm wary that if I choose to pack a jacket, snacks and other extras in the backpack I use to transport my cpap that I may get challenged.

Sorry for your troubles,

Cale

scotty

Post by scotty » Sun Feb 25, 2007 3:01 pm

Here's what the Delta website says about it. The sticking point here is they say that "passengers who require medical supplies or equipment during their travel may check an additional item free of charge." They might argue that you didn't need it during flight. However, they do acknowledge that's it's an assisted device, and that's covered by other governing bodies already listed in this threat.

I haven't had any problems flying with my CPAP even the one time I flew with my max number of carry-ons in addition to my CPAP. (It wasn't with Delta.)

Link: Medical Supplies & Equipment Baggage Allowance
"Passengers who require medical supplies or equipment during their travel may check an additional item free of charge. They can also carry the item on with them, on top of the regular carry-on allowance, as long as the item meets size and weight restrictions."

Link: Services for Travelers with Disabilities: Assistive Devices
"If you need an assistive or non-oxygen-generating life-support device, like a respirator, nebulizer, or ventilator, you can bring it in the cabin for use during the flight, as long as it fits in an FAA approved storage location. You'll need to purchase an extra seat at the lowest available fare if you need it for your equipment.

We can't permit wet-cell batteries in the aircraft cabin for safety reasons. We recommend you use a dry- or gel-cell battery for your equipment, since electrical outlets are not available on our aircraft.

Oxygen concentrators (other than Inogen One and AirSep Lifestyle) and CPAP machines can be carried but not operated during the flight."

Gained lasting notoriety for snoring at age four. Finally went to a sleep lab on June 23, 2005. Using CPAP since August 18, 2005.

Post by Guest » Sun Feb 25, 2007 3:17 pm

I fly regularly and have never had a problem with my CPAP. However, any time I have flown alll airlines seem to have the same rules - One carryon and one personal item such as a purse, handbag, etc. I have done that plus taken may APAP and never had a problem. According to the original post you exceeded the limit and I really don;t think the CPAP was the issue. It was the airline enforcing the rules so the rest of us that follow the rules also have room on the filght.

Born Tired

Post by Born Tired » Sun Feb 25, 2007 3:20 pm

We may not need our medical equipment during the flight, but the only way we can be sure of having it when we arrive at our destination is to carry it on with us. It is not unusual for checked baggage to be sent to a totally different place from the intented destination.

I would be very surprised if a Cpap machine could survive the abuse that checked baggage often goes through. We have had suitcases gouged and ripped. I have watched a baggage handler offload baggage--he heaved them away from himself onto the tarmack from chest height. (A video camera would have come in handy). Don't think my machine could stand up to that kind of abuse.
Esther
--

My husband says, "Esther is not a morning person---and it goes downhill from there."

I Thes. 5:16 "Rejoice evermore."

Sleepy-eyes

Post by Sleepy-eyes » Sun Feb 25, 2007 4:10 pm

[quote="Anonymous"]I fly regularly and have never had a problem with my CPAP. However, any time I have flown alll airlines seem to have the same rules - One carryon and one personal item such as a purse, handbag, etc. I have done that plus taken may APAP and never had a problem. According to the original post you exceeded the limit and I really don;t think the CPAP was the issue. It was the airline enforcing the rules so the rest of us that follow the rules also have room on the filght.

Chris