Mask Envy

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
momadams

Mask Envy

Post by momadams » Thu Jun 07, 2007 6:02 pm

I've been using the Mirage Swift I for 6 weeks with great success. It doesn't leak, is comfortable (I wake up wondering if I've got it on), and I can't sleep on my left side anyway because DH objects to the wind tunnel effect.

So why do I keep wanting to try out new masks? It's sort of like "Ooo there's a cool one, gotta try it out". Haven't succumbed to temptation yet, but is it weird to want a new mask for my birthday?

Shari

darthlucy

Post by darthlucy » Thu Jun 07, 2007 7:01 pm

Weird, maybe, but cute. We are a strange bunch, aren't we?

christinequilts

Post by christinequilts » Thu Jun 07, 2007 7:29 pm

Eventually it does get better, but not usually before you've collected way more masks then you'll ever be able to use in a life time. I often liken the need to rotate mask to the need to wear different shoes, but there is definitely another similarity with shoes, the never worn or once worn mask collection

THier

Post by THier » Fri Jun 08, 2007 4:51 am

Near as I can tell,, I have 7 different masks, and 3,, yes THREE of my favorite Comfortlite 1, Respironics are discontinuing it and I fear that I won't be able to replace the head gear.

Do I need even more therapy?

Tom

Sleepy-eyes

Re: Mask Envy

Post by Sleepy-eyes » Fri Jun 08, 2007 6:48 am

[quote="momadams"]I've been using the Mirage Swift I for 6 weeks with great success. It doesn't leak, is comfortable (I wake up wondering if I've got it on), and I can't sleep on my left side anyway because DH objects to the wind tunnel effect.

So why do I keep wanting to try out new masks? It's sort of like "Ooo there's a cool one, gotta try it out". Haven't succumbed to temptation yet, but is it weird to want a new mask for my birthday?

Shari

Chris

I'm not a Doctor, nor am I associated with the medical profession in any way. Any comments I make are just personal opinions. Take them or leave them. (justa don't gripe at me if ya donna like 'em!)

Slinky

Post by Slinky » Fri Jun 08, 2007 7:20 am

Sleepy-eyes wrote: You've heard it before, but "If it ain't broke, don't fix it." There are so many uncomfortable masks, or masks that leak for different people that it just makes sense to rejoice when you find one that works for you............why in the world would you want to try something else?
Ha! Maybe 'cause altho our current mask is working for us, there might be a minor glitch that requires a "fix" to the headgear that we might not have to be bothered doing w/a different mask?
Maybe because we'd like to find one that works even better?
Maybe because we'd like a full face mask for those nights when we are so congested breathing thru our nose is almost impossible?
Maybe 'cause when the house is so dry our integrated humidifier can't quite keep up and we'd like a little relief from the direct air pressure of our nasal pillows with a nasal cushion instead?

Maybe 'cause WE ARE WOMAN!!!! We have the inherent right to change our mind that you men DON'T!!!!

Its not like our insurance is gonna buy us a birthday present.

My computer says I need to upgrade my brain to be compatible with its new software.

rested gal

Post by rested gal » Fri Jun 08, 2007 7:42 am

Sleepy-eyes wrote:You've heard it before, but "If it ain't broke, don't fix it." There are so many uncomfortable masks, or masks that leak for different people that it just makes sense to rejoice when you find one that works for you............why in the world would you want to try something else?
I can relate to "if it ain't broke, don't fix it." That's usually my philosophy, too.

However, I can sure relate to momadams' desire to try new masks even if a present one works ok.

Back when I got started, my second mask was the Breeze with nasal pillows. I was very happy with the Breeze and used it for over a year. I did try other masks during that time, just to see how they compared...kept using the Breeze. Until.....

The Aura came on the scene. The mask that survived several name changes, called the Twilight NP now.

I couldn't imagine any mask being more comfortable for me than the Breeze. The Twilight NP was much more so. If I'd stayed with the Breeze and never tried any others, I'd never have found the even more comfortable (for me) Twilight NP.

So, I'll keep trying the new ones. I don't think any could suit me better than my little deconstructed Twilight NP. But I thought that for a long time about the Breeze, too.

Yeah, I've got my share of discarded "didn't work for me" masks. I'm glad I tried them, though.
ResMed S9 VPAP Auto (ASV)
Humidifier: Integrated + Climate Control hose
Mask: Aeiomed Headrest (deconstructed, with homemade straps
3M painters tape over mouth
ALL LINKS by rested gal:
viewtopic.php?t=17435

John_M

The definitive

Post by John_M » Fri Jun 08, 2007 8:07 am

I think the definitive article on Mask Addiction was written by MikeMoran viewtopic.php?t=4700

We now have an area where we can all practise our addiction. Its at
viewtopic.php?t=19546

Me, I am still getting hooked. Right now, I think I could be happy if I could try a new Full Face Mask other than Comfort Full Face 2.

Anyone want to lend/give/sell me one?

John M
Prospective member of Masks Anonymous
Started CP Jan 10, 06. Orig AHI 37, now 0.4.

Index for newbies at http://cpapindex.dreamsharing.net

Sleep Apnea Wiki