Something wrong with my new machine!

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
EricF

Something wrong with my new machine!

Post by EricF » Mon Feb 26, 2007 9:33 pm

When I firstly been diagnose OSA I rent a APap machine for one month... THe result had been interesting...

Two weeks ago my insurance company send me a letter asking me to buy my own machine... So I buy one!! And now I use my new machine and I began to feel tired and I wakeup with difficulty and ... I don't understand because the first month gave very good result... Now I feel like before using an APap!!

Please Help... Do anybody experience things like that...

PS : not the the rented machine was a Respironics M-Serie Apap and the new one is exacly the same model...

blarg

Post by blarg » Mon Feb 26, 2007 9:48 pm

What was your pressure set at on the old one, and what is it set at on the new one?

Do you have the software so you can see what's going on?
I'm a programmer Jim, not a doctor!

sleepinginseattle

Post by sleepinginseattle » Tue Feb 27, 2007 9:06 am

EricF,

What does your doctor say?

If you're not feeling better, it might be for a number of reasons including:

* You've experienced a relapse.
* You're not getting effective treatment.
* There's something else that's disturbing your sleep. Alcohol, medication, stress, etc.

If you've been using the cpap for a month or so and you're not getting good results then a follow-up visit with your sleep doctor is appropriate. Why not discuss your concerns with him/her?

Cale

Disclaimer: I am not a doctor and any opinion I might offer is not to be considered advice. If you want advice, ask your doctor.

EricF

Post by EricF » Tue Feb 27, 2007 9:26 am

My pressure is the same one the new machine then the rented one... 4-12

The software tell me that all its ok!! my AHI is near 5...

I notice something! Since I use the new machine It seems I remove my mask at the end of the night and continue sleeping for about 1 to 2 hours without it... Could this be the problem??

Do you think that 1 or 2 last hours of the night without APap could compromise the 6 first hours with it?

Goofproof

Post by Goofproof » Tue Feb 27, 2007 9:45 am

The treatment only works if you use it, that means all and everytime you sleep. Your machine set ay 4 cm to 12 cm. isn't in your best interest 8 cm to 12 cm should be better. 4 CM is too low and starves you for air, and APAP works better with a 4 cm to 6 cm spread in range.

But you must use the mask all the time you sleep, and keep the mask and mouth leaks under control. Jim

CPAPopedia Keywords Contained In This Post (Click For Definition): APAP

Last edited by Goofproof on Tue Feb 27, 2007 9:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
Use data to optimize your xPAP treatment!

"The art of medicine consists in amusing the patient while nature cures the disease." Voltaire

sleepylady

Post by sleepylady » Tue Feb 27, 2007 9:46 am

Eric,

That range is too much. Normally you want a range of around 5. For me, I have a smaller range of just 4. You may want to up the begining pressure to 5 or 6 since people don't normally feel ok breathing on 4.

Also, yes that is more than likely the problem. Sleeping without the mask means you are back to having apneas as you did before using the machine. So, even though your AHI is near 5, it could really be a lot higher since you aren't using the machine the whole night.

Melinda

DreamStalker

Post by DreamStalker » Tue Feb 27, 2007 10:04 am

As Jim already mentioned ... your primary solution is to use at all times that you sleep. Sleeping without will likely cancel any benifit you may have gotten before taking mask off.

As for the pressure setting, I agree that your minimum pressure is set too low and would benefit you to increase to about 8 cm.
President-pretender, J. Biden, said "the DNC has built the largest voter fraud organization in US history". Too bad they didn’t build the smartest voter fraud organization and got caught.

EricF

Post by EricF » Tue Feb 27, 2007 10:39 am

Ok.... I observed that I began to remove my mask at the end of the night at the same time or one or two days after getting my new machine... Their is a Correlation here!!

The inalo that I speak at the company that sell me the AutoPap tell me that to be effective I have to use the mask all the time at least 4 hours a night... I thought that if I use it for 6 hours I could remove it for 1 hours ... But I think was wrong, isn't it?

Ok I think I broke my own treatment!!

blarg

Post by blarg » Tue Feb 27, 2007 10:45 am

Just use it whenever you sleep.

If you are taking the mask off without knowing what you're doing, you could try taping the headgear down so it causes some discomfort upon removal.

EricF

Post by EricF » Tue Feb 27, 2007 11:02 am

No blarg : The real problem is I experience Condensation that make noise in the hose at the end of the night... Si it wake up me... so I remove the mask and stop the machine...

The reason that I do that on the new machine and I not done that with the rented one it is because when condensation occur and waked up me with the rented one I add just to put the hose up and the water in the hose gone down trough the humidifier and escape outside the base of the machine and goes on the table... I add to clean up this at the morning but that removed the water in the hose...

With the new machine this trick don't work... Probably because the gasket are so new and tight that don't let the water leak outside the machine so even if I put the hose up, the water goes down but get stocked in the base of the hose... add continue make noise... So I close the machine and get to sleep....

I think that the solution Is to prevent the condensation in the hose... but how??

blarg

Post by blarg » Tue Feb 27, 2007 11:14 am

Search for "rainout".

List of good solutions:
- Cover the hose
- Raise the temperature in your room by a half a degree C or so
- Turn down the humidifier
- Hang your hose up in an upside down V shape so the water can go right back into the humidifier
- Consider a heated hose (http://www.sleepzone.com.au)
- Run the hose under your covers so it stays warmer

If you have the rainout problem in the future and it wakes you up, disconnect the mask from the machine, dump the water out of the hose, connect back up, and go back to sleep.

sleepyWI

Post by sleepyWI » Tue Feb 27, 2007 11:17 am

EricF wrote:
I think that the solution Is to prevent the condensation in the hose... but how??
Buy a hose cover or Aussie heated hose. Possible turn down the humidity.

Linda3032

Post by Linda3032 » Tue Feb 27, 2007 11:28 am

Eric, are you overfilling the water chamber? There is a "fill line" on the tank, about 3/4 full. Be sure you don't put too much water in the chamber.

blarg

Post by blarg » Tue Feb 27, 2007 11:32 am

EricF wrote:Probably because the gasket are so new and tight that don't let the water leak outside the machine
Just wanted to add here that water should never be leaking outside of your machine...

EricF

Post by EricF » Tue Feb 27, 2007 11:38 am

Blarg : I know but the rented machine leaked rainout water...

The new machine don't!!!