I thought this was going to be great!

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
fishmaycraft

I thought this was going to be great!

Post by fishmaycraft » Mon Feb 05, 2007 4:16 pm

Well, at first I said "I ain't wearing one of those things!!" Then after my 2nd sleep study (this time wearing the mask) I got the best night's sleep I have in a LONG time. Then I changed to, I can't wait to get mine!

Fast forward.....

I have had mine now for 3 nights and I'm not sleeping worth a darn. I wake up I don't know how many times a night and am tired all day. Also, for some reason I apparently pressed my tongue against my bottom teeth real hard all night last night because when I woke up they all hurt.

I don't know what to do, I have to fight the urge to throw the thing out the window every night. At least before I thought I was getting a full nights sleep.

Sorry I just had to vent

I've read posts on here that say it could take weeks or months before I sleep well. I don't know if I can take that!
Any tips for me would be greatly appreciated, I'm usually a stomach sleeper (not anymore huh?)

FMC

Linda3032

Post by Linda3032 » Mon Feb 05, 2007 4:25 pm

Fishmaycraft

Please tell us what mask you are using now, and what problems you are having.

Also, what pressure are you using?

Rabid1

Post by Rabid1 » Mon Feb 05, 2007 4:40 pm

Fish...

Keep your resolve. You CAN get through this!

Linda asked you some good questions that will help the many fine people on this forum help you.

You are now a member of a very exlusive club
Wake me up when this is over...

rested gal

Re: I thought this was going to be great!

Post by rested gal » Mon Feb 05, 2007 4:47 pm

fishmaycraft wrote:Any tips for me would be greatly appreciated, I'm usually a stomach sleeper (not anymore huh?)

FMC
Hi FMC,

As Linda said, do please tell us the name of the mask you're using and the pressure you're prescribed. I'm betting mask issues are what are disturbing your sleep.

Also got another question for you...

Before you started cpap, could you breathe ok through your nostrils when you're in bed? Any congestion or sinus issues that absolutely prevent breathing through at least one nostril at night? In other words, were you normally able to breathe through your nose (before cpap) or did you mouth breathe much when you laid down?

If you don't have to mouth breathe, there's a particular mask that's very comfy in any sleep position for a lot of people -- including sleeping on the stomach. The Invacare Twilight NP (formerly known as the Aura or the Headrest.)
LINKS to Invacare Twilight NP (Aeiomed Headrest- Aura) nasal pillows mask topics
viewtopic.php?t=3098

Got the main air hose hung up overhead out of your way? That can help, too.
LINKS to Hose hangers and methods of managing the air hose
viewtopic.php?t=10640
ResMed S9 VPAP Auto (ASV)
Humidifier: Integrated + Climate Control hose
Mask: Aeiomed Headrest (deconstructed, with homemade straps
3M painters tape over mouth
ALL LINKS by rested gal:
viewtopic.php?t=17435

Linda3032

Post by Linda3032 » Mon Feb 05, 2007 5:21 pm

Rested Gal, welcome back from wherever you were. Missed you.

CollegeGirl

Post by CollegeGirl » Mon Feb 05, 2007 5:22 pm

Another stomach sleeper here seconding Laura's vote for the TwilightNP. I've been using it for months - I never felt rested until I finally started using this mask. It has changed my life. If you decide to purchase it, stop by the chat room here sometime or PM rested gal or me. She and I can both give you good advice on tweaking it so that it fits you as well as possible. Happy papping!
Machine: M-Series Auto
Mask: Headrest
No humidifier
On the hose since 2005.

bdp522

Post by bdp522 » Mon Feb 05, 2007 6:00 pm

I think I am a TRUE stomach sleeper. I kept flipping on to my stomach during my sleep studies! I have used the CL2, Hybrid, & Acclaim 2. Slept on my stomach with all of them with no problem! I think the CL2 is the easier mask for me, just pop it on my head each night, don't play with straps or hooking anything together.

Brenda

retiredpete

Post by retiredpete » Mon Feb 05, 2007 7:04 pm

So, you tried this thing for all of 3 nights. Do you always expect imediate result from everything you try I am "retired Pete's" wife. I thank God that he finally gave in to my nagging..yes, I was worried about his health ... the fact that he stopped breathing so many times every night kept me awake...and I do not have a sleep apnea problem. I laid awake because I was so scared that I would wake up next to my husband some morning...and he would be dead!! I finally got him to get the CPAC..and yes, he's only had it since January 8 of this year...and he's still getting used to it, he has had questions and I have heard sounds coming from the equipment where I have awoken him and asked...what is that sound?? Of course he didn't know the answers either...so today he went back to where he got the equipment and got educated and had some things modified to his personal needs.
If after 3 days you want to give up...you are just not serious about the problem you have. If you want to "talk" to me, just get in touch with "Retired Pete" and ask for his wife.

fishmaycraft

Post by fishmaycraft » Mon Feb 05, 2007 9:19 pm

I updated my profile to include my mask, and my pressure setting is 12.

Sorry retiredPete's wife, must have touched a nerve. Don't worry, my wife and my folks won't let me give up on this thing. That and I have a 14 month old little girl that is motivation enough! What I was looking for was reccomendations or tips from folks who have gone through it.

Thanks to all for the words of encouragement, I'm going to talk to the folks that I got my unit through (insurance limited my choices of course) and see about trying another mask that is better for stomach sleepers.

FMC

sleepylady

Post by sleepylady » Tue Feb 06, 2007 8:56 am

FMC,

I am a true stomache sleeper. I HAVE to be in that position before I can really get a good night's sleep. In the beginning I to thought I'd have to give it up. Take Rested Gal's and College Girls suggestion. I have the Twilight NP mask (formerly Aura) and LOVE IT. It's the only mask I've used since I found it. It is well worth the $99 pricetag that cpap.com charges for it.

Melinda

sleepyWI

Post by sleepyWI » Tue Feb 06, 2007 3:16 pm

FMC,

On my third night my wife found me down in the basement at 2 AM crying like a baby over this. Its now been 4 months and things are SOOOOOOOOO much better. Its not perfect but don't let the first few days get you down. Adapting to cpap can be very difficult for some. For me it took 6 different masks and a tweak to my pressure and things now are very much on the upswing. Don't give up...come visit us in the live chat if you are feeling down.

Tim