? about water in humidifier?

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
pharmwoman

Post by pharmwoman » Thu May 04, 2006 6:30 pm

does it mean anything if there is no water gone from the humifier?? I usually have to fill it up every morning but today it was full--is it because it is warmer out? Thanks:)

Offerocker

Post by Offerocker » Thu May 04, 2006 6:56 pm

I have been wondering about the same thing for quite a while, and have yet to receive a satisfactory answer. I usually hear remarks about the temperature of the room, relative humidity, etc. Well, we're dealing with a 'closed system', from the humidifier, through the hose, to the mask. I made a fleece cover for my hose, and keep excess 'under the covers'. We keep our windows open in the winter, and a/c in summer.
If the humidifier is to make the air moist, it sure isn't doing its job if there's no water used! I have sore nostrils to prove it. Yes, humidifier level is set at highest, with no rainout. I'm miffed! Among other things.

Respironics Auto C-Flex, HC-150, Activa, CL2 Simple Cushion, ComfortSleeve, Saline Snorter.

Goofproof

Post by Goofproof » Thu May 04, 2006 7:06 pm

When the is more humid in the house less water will be used. Also the cooler the room the less water will be used, and the lower the heater setting the less water is used, maybe even a Full Moon will effect it. Jim
Use data to optimize your xPAP treatment!

"The art of medicine consists in amusing the patient while nature cures the disease." Voltaire

Goofproof

Post by Goofproof » Thu May 04, 2006 7:30 pm

[quote="Offerocker"] Well, we're dealing with a 'closed system', from the humidifier, through the hose, to the mask.
Use data to optimize your xPAP treatment!

"The art of medicine consists in amusing the patient while nature cures the disease." Voltaire

roztom

Post by roztom » Thu May 04, 2006 7:34 pm

I run my HH on 3 and I fill my level up to just below the little triangle and I use it for about 7 - 8 hrs per night and only about 10% is left.

When I turn off my machine to remove the water holder the bottom is VERY warm to the touch.

Best,

Tom
"Nothing To It, But To Do It"

Un-treated REM AHI: 71.7
Almost All Hypopneas
OXY Desat: 83.9%

Trying To Get It Right

Offerocker

Post by Offerocker » Thu May 04, 2006 7:37 pm

Roztom, Maybe I need to check the temperature & heating element. At times I've added pre-heated distilled water. I need to keep a nightly notebook on all of this!

Respironics Auto C-Flex, HC-150, Activa, CL2 Simple Cushion, ComfortSleeve, Saline Snorter.

roztom

Post by roztom » Thu May 04, 2006 7:43 pm

Does the water tank get warm? Is the metal plate hot on the bottom when you remove it first thing in the morning?

Tom

Almost All Hypopneas

Trying To Get It Right

Ric

Post by Ric » Thu May 04, 2006 7:57 pm

How often do you clean the HH tank? Even the slightest amount of grease or oil or other debris can remain on the surface and profoundly affect the rate at which water will evaporate. I'm more inclined to agree with the above posts, it's probably more a factor of ambient air temperature, humidity, and (most importantly) whether the heater is turned on, AND STAYS ON! (You haven't been using any, uhhhh... *CPDs in your HH, have you? not advisable.)

*controversial petroleum distillates

He who dies with the most masks wins.

Post by Guest » Fri May 05, 2006 5:12 am

Tom: The integrated warming plate does get warm; I have not checked it in the morning, though. I don't remove it every day. Thanks for pointing out the obvious to me (re "is it plugged in?)- I'll remember to check for faulty/insufficient warming plate in the future!

Ric: Clean tank weekly to less than 2 weeks. How would grease or oil or debris get in the tank? After thorough cleaning (Dawn, then vinegar rinse), distilled water added at night. Sounds clean to me. Yes, heater is turned on; will ensure it is still on in a.m. I think I'll insulate the HH tank in addition to the already covered hose. Now, forgive me, but I don't know what would qualify for a CPD; they're not ADDED to the tank, only distilled water, although I'm thinking of making it a saline solution, which is more natural for the nasal passages. OK, I just realized you were joking,..you shouldn't give me any ideas!!!

Thank you both for your interest and posts. K.

GOOFPROOF: you said: "How can it be a closed system, when it's got a fan on on end and a open hose and mask downstream." OK, it's an ENclosed system. My point was the tank is heated, the tube is covered, and the mask warm, so I'd expect to receive more moisture. Maybe I'll cover the tank also, or put an insulated box around the whole darn thing to avoid controversy? Thank you for your post.

roztom

Post by roztom » Fri May 05, 2006 5:38 am

I haven't heard of anyone insulating their tank, maybe I missed it.

Make sure your HH isn't turning off during the night.

Make sure if you turn your flow generator off for a pit stop that you turn the HH back on.

I remove my HH, empty it and rinse with soap & water every day.

Sounds like you don't.. Adding distilled water and only emptying and cleaning weekly is not enough if that's what you are doing, imho.

I used to work in water pollution - you DO want to clean that thing daily -remember you're on a closed system.

Best,

Tom

Tom

Almost All Hypopneas

Trying To Get It Right

pharmwoman

Post by pharmwoman » Fri May 05, 2006 5:55 am

wow--so many great amswers--now this am the tnk was 1/2 empty--but my nostrils arent sore--also i slept longer last nite which may have used more water.

Post by Guest » Fri May 05, 2006 8:09 am

TOM: I can't argue your advice and experience; from now on I WILL remove and clean the HH tank. I had been removing the hose, thinking that the hose would need to 'dry out', and that would also help the HH. What is your opinion re adding salt to HH water for a saline solution? Our bodies rely on saline, which is in our veins, etc. Thank you for your information. Offerocker/Kathleen (having problems logging on, thus a 'guest' for now.)

Wulfman

Post by Wulfman » Fri May 05, 2006 8:33 am

Kathleen,

Adding salt to your humidifier water would be a REAL BAD thing to do.

Best wishes,

Den

(5) REMstar Autos w/C-Flex & (6) REMstar Pro 2 CPAPs w/C-Flex - Pressure Setting = 14 cm.
"Passover" Humidification - ResMed Ultra Mirage FF - Encore Pro w/Card Reader & MyEncore software - Chiroflow pillow
User since 05/14/05

Sleepless in St. Louis

Post by Sleepless in St. Louis » Fri May 05, 2006 9:12 am

And even if adding salt water does not damage or hinder the operation of the HH, none of the salt would actually make it up your nose. Think about it. What you're basically doing with the HH is distilling water. The water that goes up the tube to your nose goes from liquid to a gas dissolved in the air i.e. humidity. The boiling point of water is way way low than sodium cloride (salt). So, there goes the water, leaving the salt behind to become ever more concentrated in the tank. So, in my opinion, there really is no point to adding salt to your water. Hope that makes sense.

Ric

Re: ? about water in humidifier?

Post by Ric » Fri May 05, 2006 9:31 am

Offrocker wrote:What is your opinion re adding salt to HH water for a saline solution? Our bodies rely on saline, which is in our veins, etc.
I agree with Den and Tom and Tim, the salt in the HH will STAY in the HH, it won't get anywhere NEAR your veins. This is a humidifier, it relies on evaporation, the salt stays behind and does you no good, nor the HH. (It could also make it (slightly) more difficult for water to evaporate, some subtle physics/chemistry going on with that, but not really a big deal). If it were a nebulizer and not an HH, that would be a different issue. But t'ain't. Clean pure distilled water is more gooder.

He who dies with the most masks wins.