Anyone heard of the "SAT" bed?

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
Offerocker

Anyone heard of the "SAT" bed?

Post by Offerocker » Thu May 17, 2007 7:18 am

I'm in the market for a new mattress!
I know there was a discussion some time ago, but I don't remember this mattress being mentioned. They advertise that it is used in all rooms of the St. Jude hospital, etc., and is endorsed by the medical community.

You can see it here: http://www.satbed.com/sat-mattress.php.

I would appreciate any feedback on either experience with it, or opinions of the advertising on the site.

Thanks so much for your time.
Kathleen

Respironics Auto C-Flex, HC-150, Activa, CL2 Simple Cushion, ComfortSleeve, Saline Snorter.

DreamStalker

Post by DreamStalker » Thu May 17, 2007 8:35 am

It seems a bit hyped ... appears to be an air mattress similar to the sleep number bed design. There is nothing really all that special about Boyle’s Law with regard to bedding … any air mattress is based on it in addition to the common balloon.

I designed my own combination latex/memory 4-layer foam mattress (check out http://www.memoryfoam.com). You can make it as firm or soft as you want.

Best of luck upgrading your bed mattress.
President-pretender, J. Biden, said "the DNC has built the largest voter fraud organization in US history". Too bad they didn’t build the smartest voter fraud organization and got caught.

Offerocker

Post by Offerocker » Thu May 17, 2007 9:25 am

Thanks for taking the time to look, DreamStalker.

I had used a water bed for many years, and was very happy with it, except for the necessity of regularly 'burping' it and adding more water. That phenonemon irritated me until I realized that the heating element was the cause of the 'gathering' of the hydrogen and oxygen elements.

I then tried my home-grown version of the 'comfort-x' bed, using an air mattress, padding, and memory foam. Keeping it all together has been a pain, as everything wants to 'shift'.

I do like the idea of the purported continual air adjustment in the SAT bed, and the fact that many hospitals have converted to using it. They do have a 90-day return policy, and 20-year guarantee. So, I may 'take the plunge'.

They are setting up a new store, and will also have cpap equipment displayed. I cited this site for him to research.

I'm still undecided, but leaning towards that bed.
Thanks for your input; will let you know if I get it, and if so, how it all works out.
I do get a lot of back pain from scoliosis, even though I've had corrective surgery, which has its limits.
At least he is interested in sleep apnea!
As with everything, 'time will tell'.

TerryB

Post by TerryB » Thu May 17, 2007 9:57 am

I got pretty excited about the bed, but in searching the web further, saw articles about lawsuits claiming that some of the medical endorsements were faked.
Of course if you search the internet search engines, you can almost always find the words you are searching occurring together in some context.

TerryB

Post by Guest » Thu May 17, 2007 12:23 pm

might be a good bed but it does seem a bit over-hyped as DreamStalker mentioned.

If I was needing another bed today, I'd go buy another Select Comfort. But then I don't need another one, mine is only 15+yrs old and has a lot of life left in it with no signs of wear.

My Select Comfort bed came with a 20-year warranty, I've never had to exercise that for any reason so far, but a 20-year warranty is only good if the company is around in 20-years to honor it. If the company that holds your warranty goes out of business in 3 years, you only have a 3 year warranty.

I once worked for a $9 billion dollar company for 10 years, they got swallowed up and are gone today so I guess it can happen to any company. I've never heard of that SATbed company, doesn't mean their product isn't any good just that I have not heard of them before. Then using Christopher Reeve as a testimonial is probably not such a great idea, don't think he did so well on it.

But I guess it is okay to use his name if you gave him a free bed in exhange for use of his name. Same for the NBC Today show and other indorsements, they don't mean it is a good bed, only that they paid some marketing company like PrimeTime $100k to get them a spot on the show to plug their product. Hey we got a battle between Superman and the $6-million dollar bionic woman

If you read some of their comparisons like with the Select Comfort bed, you find a lot of inaccurate information, like trial periods, warranty periods etc. Mine came with a 20 year warranty not 2. Mine has 2 chambers not 1. I've never had a problem with my pump, dust mites of which I'm allergic to, mold, mildue, etc., etc.. If they have to stretch it that far in a simple comparison, it tells me their product probably doesn't stand on its own merit very well for them to have to over-hype it like that to sell it. Hey but it could be a good bed you never know. I wouldn't give them a dime more than what a Select Comfort costs.