Crazy Question ???

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
ocso628

Crazy Question ???

Post by ocso628 » Sat Jan 20, 2007 1:01 am

I have noticed that when I wake up in the morning after I wear my mask I wake up with terrible back pain. This sounds crazy but in the last couple of months I have went approx 3 to 4 days without using the machine and both times my back pain goes away. I dont know if Im just tensing up during the night because I am uncomfortable with wearing a mask I dont know. Has anyone experienced this problem ? if so how did you fix it ? Or is this all in my head? !!!

rested gal

Re: Crazy Question ???

Post by rested gal » Sat Jan 20, 2007 3:34 am

ocso628 wrote:I have went approx 3 to 4 days without using the machine and both times my back pain goes away. I dont know if Im just tensing up during the night because I am uncomfortable with wearing a mask I dont know
Sounds like you're right about probably tensing up. Or maybe your trying to stay in one sleep position when wearing the mask.

Try hanging the main air hose up out of the way if you haven't already done that.

Perhaps you can try some other masks to see if you can find one that would let you move around, turn, etc., and possibly feel a bit more comfortable.

The mask that lets me sleep more "naturally" in any sleep position than any mask I've tried is the Invacare Twilight NP (formerly called the "Aura".) But masks are different for everyone...might not suit you.

The ComfortLite 2 you're using is a mask I like very much. But I do have to use an extra strap around the front of it (as well as around the front of my favorite Aura) to keep the nasal pillows in place when I toss'n'turn.

The swivel elbow on top of the ComfortLite 2 can be clunky. Perhaps removing that and hanging the main hose up above your head would be more comfortable. I didn't feel like I could turn my head easily with that miserable elbow on top of the headgear. The whole CL2 felt lighter and nicer with the elbow removed.

LINKS to Respironics ComfortLite 2 nasal pillows mask topics
viewtopic.php?t=8066
ResMed S9 VPAP Auto (ASV)
Humidifier: Integrated + Climate Control hose
Mask: Aeiomed Headrest (deconstructed, with homemade straps
3M painters tape over mouth
ALL LINKS by rested gal:
viewtopic.php?t=17435

RachelM

Post by RachelM » Sat Jan 20, 2007 9:01 pm

I also experienced back and shoulder pain since CPAP. I think I position the back into an awkward position and tense the muscles trying to get comfortable on the pillow and keep the mask in place.

A different pillow did help as well as learning to relax while laying with the CPAP.

jrfoster

Post by jrfoster » Sat Jan 20, 2007 9:56 pm

My pain has been in the back of my head. Apparently the neck muscles are tensed at night as I try to find a comfortable position. I am a sidle sleeper that tosses and turns. Hopefully, this too shall pass! I have about 960 hours on XPAP and still cannot get a good nights sleep. Maybe one day!!

Jeff in TN (To keep me separate from the other Jeff! )

ocso628

ELBOW

Post by ocso628 » Sun Jan 21, 2007 1:15 am

I have removed the elbow and I will let you know how it works. Thanks for the replies.

pedroski

Post by pedroski » Sun Jan 21, 2007 1:55 am

ocso628 wrote:I have noticed that when I wake up in the morning after I wear my mask I wake up with terrible back pain. This sounds crazy but in the last couple of months I have went approx 3 to 4 days without using the machine and both times my back pain goes away. I dont know if Im just tensing up during the night because I am uncomfortable with wearing a mask I dont know. Has anyone experienced this problem ? if so how did you fix it ? Or is this all in my head? !!!
Hi mate,

I had a problem with back pain that I'm pretty sure was because instead of getting up 6 times a night for a bathroom break, I now only get up once, so I'm spending a lot more time in one position in bed. My solution was to buy a new mattress, a nice soft one.

Hope this helps.

Peter

pidgeon92

Post by pidgeon92 » Sun Jan 21, 2007 9:27 pm

I agree with Peter. I no longer toss and turn at night. I wake up in EXACTLY the same position I fell asleep in. If my arm is up under the pillow when I fall asleep, it is there when I wake up, and it HURTS. My husband kindly massages it for me in the morning.

Slinky

Post by Slinky » Sun Jan 21, 2007 10:19 pm

The thought occurred to me right away that you might be spending a lot more time sleeping on your back than you are used to and that could be causing your back aches. I think sleeping w/PAP encourages us to sleep on our backs more, at least until we can find a mask that we can adjust to sleeping on our sides with. I know I was waking up w/nagging backaches at first w/PAP.

My computer says I need to upgrade my brain to be compatible with its new software.

RickR

Re Backache

Post by RickR » Fri May 11, 2007 4:20 am

I've been on CPAP for approx 6 months...lately I've been waking up with a bad backache (middle of back) as well...seem to radiate right through body to middle of chest.

Pain goes away after an hour or 2.

I've noticed when I awake I am sleeping on my back and likely haven't moved all night.

This has caused me considerable worry since I'm on heart medication and thought it was angina pain.

Offerocker

Post by Offerocker » Fri May 11, 2007 4:53 am

pidgeon92 wrote:I agree with Peter. I no longer toss and turn at night. I wake up in EXACTLY the same position I fell asleep in. If my arm is up under the pillow when I fall asleep, it is there when I wake up, and it HURTS. My husband kindly massages it for me in the morning.
I also wake up in the same position as when I fell asleep!
Prior cpap, I changed positions a LOT! My masks have been comfortable, except for the noise of the Activa exhaust hitting the sheets that I pull up around my neck!

I don't know if I'm just getting better sleep, causing me to stay in one position, or still subconsciously not wanting to disrupt anything, regardless of how well my mask fits. I don't have a hose problem. On ocassion when I DID turn over (side), it was long enough to follow with me, as I keep it in bed also.

Unfortunately, being a side-sleeper, I tend to curl up my legs, so that could be a factor to stiffness and back pain, in addition to scoliosis. Quite possibly I need a change in mattresses. I used to sleep on a heated water bed, but just got tired of getting rid of the air bubbles that formed, and needing to add more water.
When I 'come into some money ', I'm going to revisit the topic on mattresses, and go 'shopping'.

Respironics Auto C-Flex, HC-150, Activa, CL2 Simple Cushion, ComfortSleeve, Saline Snorter.

bdp522

Post by bdp522 » Fri May 11, 2007 7:06 am

I also stopped moving around all night once starting xpap. I would wake up with a slightly stiff neck almost every morning. I started using the papillow and haven't had a problem since. I can now sleep on my side, back, or tummy with no pain at all. It may be you just need a new(better) pillow.

Brenda

Offerocker

Post by Offerocker » Fri May 11, 2007 7:52 am

bdp522 wrote:I also stopped moving around all night once starting xpap. I would wake up with a slightly stiff neck almost every morning. I started using the papillow and haven't had a problem since. I can now sleep on my side, back, or tummy with no pain at all. It may be you just need a new(better) pillow.
Brenda
ocso628 wrote:I have noticed that when I wake up in the morning after I wear my mask I wake up with terrible back pain. This sounds crazy but in the last couple of months I have went approx 3 to 4 days without using the machine and both times my back pain goes away.
The pillow doesn't seem to be the problem, unless it interferes with the mask, which wasn't mentioned. .

Respironics Auto C-Flex, HC-150, Activa, CL2 Simple Cushion, ComfortSleeve, Saline Snorter.

bdp522

Post by bdp522 » Fri May 11, 2007 11:02 am

I never had neck or back pain like I did when I first started xpap. The only change I made was the pillow. I think the papillow forces me to keep my head and neck in a better position, keeping me from tightening the muscles while I sleep. It certainly wouldn't hurt to try a different pillow for a night or two.

Brenda

Born Tired

Post by Born Tired » Fri May 11, 2007 3:55 pm

ocso628 wrote:I have noticed that when I wake up in the morning after I wear my mask I wake up with terrible back pain. This sounds crazy but in the last couple of months I have went approx 3 to 4 days without using the machine and both times my back pain goes away.
ocso628,
What is your pressure? When I was in for the titration sleep study they just kept upping the pressure until I had to forcefully exhale. Needless to say I didn't go home with that pressure, but after each of my tiration studies I would wake up with chest and back pain from the high pressure. There are others here who especially when they started out with CPAP complained with pain in chest and/or back because of the pressure. Yours may just be due to the tension as has been mentioned, but if your pressure is high it might be a consideration.
Esther
__

My husband says, "Esther is not a morning person---and it goes downhill from there."

I Thes. 5:16 "Rejoice evermore."

DreamStalker

Post by DreamStalker » Fri May 11, 2007 4:25 pm

I had back pain when I first started and aerophagia too. Both have gone away all by themselves. I think when you first go on PAP treatment, the pressure causes your body to undergo adjustments. With the greater pressure, your lungs fill with more air than usual (I have noticed that I can take much deeper breaths during my yoga session than before treatment). This added volume capcity of your lungs also has an effect on expanding your rib cage which of course is attached to your spine. So the spine undergoes adjustments too and it can be painful. Hang in there, your body will become more and more accustomed to the treatment and its side-effects.

President-pretender, J. Biden, said "the DNC has built the largest voter fraud organization in US history". Too bad they didn’t build the smartest voter fraud organization and got caught.