Tried the ORACLE, and LOVE IT!

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
Offerocker

Tried the ORACLE, and LOVE IT!

Post by Offerocker » Wed May 09, 2007 5:11 am

Due to prolonged congestion, I decided to try the Oracle.
I needed to do this on 'blind faith', as none of the local DMEs carry it.
I was surprised at how small it is - has the makings of a Comfort Lite 10 !!

I have Bruxism - clenching type, and previously needed to use a 'boil & bite' device. Another part of the 'nightly ritual', and to clean in the morning!

I have small features and a small mouth.

With all that said, the Oracle comes with 2 sizes of inside-the-mouth pieces: small and large. I tried the small one, and it cut into my gums, as it was too large. The width of this piece is just fine.
I superimposed the small size on top of the large one, then marked the large one to the size of the small one. Then I cut down the large one along the drawn lines, placed it in my mouth, and wherever it was too large, I cut it down GRADUALLY with a good pair of scissors. Surprisinly, there were no sharp edges as I expected. I tried this size & cut method until it was comfortable.
I slept 2 nights with the Oracle. I also turned down my minimum pressure on my APAP, because I wasn't sure how I would react to this new sensation.
I felt as if I wasn't getting enough air, although I slept well. I turned the pressure back to 'normal' on the third night, and all went well.
I also needed to take a very small amount from the top & bottom of the outer piece, because it hit my nose and lower chin. I only needed to deepen the 'divot' on the top on the piece.
I was surprised that this mask seems to fit (when cpap on) very similar to the Activa. The lips are 'trapped' between the two layers of the mouthpieces of the Oracle, without being uncomfortable, or feeling 'pinched'. The material is flexible.

Removal of the mask is very easy, as is the daily cleaning, which only needs to be a good rinse.

IT IS QUIET also!!! The quietest mask I've ever had. There is a small 'filter' added to the exhaust, most likely an 'improvement', because the writeup on cpap.com said it was noisy. NOT. I don't have anything covering my face anymore, and the bruxism has actually diminished - when/if it happens, my AIR supply is cut off, so maybe I'll eventually be 'retrained'.

I did NOT use the nose plugs that came with it. I wanted to keep this simple. I can't get any prongs to fit anyway, so didn't even bother.

I'm now taping my NOSE instead of my mouth,

I wrote this for anyone contemplating this mask, or are having trouble with whatever they are using. Note that the star rating system on cpap.com don't 'look' good, it's because there aren't many ratings yet - there aren't enough bought and returned, that you won't find one on eBay.

I also don't feel like I have anything in my mouth, it's that comfortable. The strap that goes around the neck doesn't have to be tight either.

I'd recommend this mask; it's certainly worth a try. It was the answer for me.

Respironics Auto C-Flex, HC-150, Activa, CL2 Simple Cushion, ComfortSleeve, Saline Snorter.

sleepyred

Great!

Post by sleepyred » Wed May 09, 2007 5:28 am

So glad to hear the mask is working for you! Coming from a mouth breather myself and teeth grinder.... Sounds like something I might try in the future!

Thanks for the great review!

Sleepyred

sinkem

Post by sinkem » Wed May 09, 2007 10:22 am

I liked my Oracle too, it is so simple to use, and fit well for me.
I could not stop the nose leaks with plugs and/or swimming clamps.
How are you doing with dry mouth?
I found I wanted just a little more than max could give on my HH.
If I could fix those two problems I would go back and use it again.

Snoredog

Post by Snoredog » Wed May 09, 2007 10:57 am

how many nights have you used it?

Most start off with good news using it but quickly go down hill from there and many give up on it after only a week or two. If it isn't the excess drooling it is trying to stop the leaks from the nose.

The true test of any interface is if you are using it 6 months later or have purchased several, because if it isn't any good you won't buy it again.

But if most report it lands in their drawer after a few weeks, it is not something I'd go waste my money on.

someday science will catch up to what I'm saying...

sleepyred

Eeeks - leaks!

Post by sleepyred » Wed May 09, 2007 11:29 am

If it isn't the excess drooling it is trying to stop the leaks from the nose.

That was funny snoredog - so we can hope if we stop the mouth leaks and the nose leaks, that it does not start leaking out of our ears!

Sleepyred

lvwildcat

Post by lvwildcat » Wed May 09, 2007 12:55 pm

Offrocker-YAY!!! I'm so glad you like the Oracle. I too use my small interface as a template and cut down the large so basically I get 2 masks for the price of 1. I have never had a drooling problem. I have been in love with this mask since July '06. I f you have any questions don't hesitate to pm me. Barb

Offerocker

Post by Offerocker » Wed May 09, 2007 1:33 pm

I'm glad to find I'm not alone in my liking this mask.

Yes, Snoredog, I know what you mean! But this mask & I got off to a better start than others; I'll check back w/results of this 'affair' in about 6 weeks.

I don't have any drooling problems with THIS mask.

Since I don't use the nose plugs, (I tape my nostrils together), they're not in the picture.

Luckily, the outlay for this mask was less than for others, but we all know the 'worth' is in the (continual) wearing!

Respironics Auto C-Flex, HC-150, Activa, CL2 Simple Cushion, ComfortSleeve, Saline Snorter.

neverbetter

Post by neverbetter » Wed May 09, 2007 1:55 pm

Who's going to tell me they didn't drool like crazy with this mask. And the plugs they give you don't work so make sure you have some close pins for your nose. Good luck, people.

Offerocker

Post by Offerocker » Wed May 09, 2007 2:05 pm

neverbetter wrote:Who's going to tell me they didn't drool like crazy with this mask. And the plugs they give you don't work so make sure you have some close pins for your nose. Good luck, people.
neverbetter: I just did! I have not drooled with this mask. I'll post it if I do.

And you don't need clothes pins or plugs - just the same tape that I used to use on my mouth! (nightime Biore' !!)

lvwildcat

Post by lvwildcat » Thu May 10, 2007 3:01 pm

I have used this mask for 10 months and have never had any drooling issues. The plugs aren't great so I tape them in. Kathleen I took your advice and just taped my nose during a nap-found my leak was a little higher but it can work. As for reordering this mask-I just ordered my 3rd(had a problem and 1st only lasted 3 months). I don't know what I'd do if F/P ever takes this mask off of the market!

gasp

Oracle HC452 Here in 2 days.

Post by gasp » Thu May 10, 2007 6:08 pm

Thanks for posting this. I contacted the owner of my DME provider and he got hot on it. The rep will have the mask at the sleep center within two days - taking it there himself. Well, if all goes well i will have my titration next week.

I really hope the Oracle HC452 is the answer for me too. With my bruxing, deviated septum, and fragile skin that reacts to contact, I'm hoping it will be the answer.

I did have excess saliva when using a mandibular advancement device (attaches to teeth and brings lower jaw forward). It took me months to stop having excess salivation - but it did stop. The device didn't relieve OSA in my case to be deemed a success. I'm also hoping that if I experience salivation with the Oracle, it will also stop.

Thanks again for posting!

lvwildcat

Post by lvwildcat » Thu May 10, 2007 6:13 pm

gasp-let us know how things work out!! I love hearing Oracle success stories. I swear F/P should pay me as a PR person for this mask! LOL!!

DreamStalker

Post by DreamStalker » Thu May 10, 2007 7:17 pm

Offerocker wrote:... I have not drooled with this mask. I'll post it if I do.
We'll need pictures ... w/ close ups!
President-pretender, J. Biden, said "the DNC has built the largest voter fraud organization in US history". Too bad they didn’t build the smartest voter fraud organization and got caught.

Offerocker

Post by Offerocker » Fri May 11, 2007 5:06 am

DreamStalker wrote:
Offerocker wrote:... I have not drooled with this mask. I'll post it if I do.
We'll need pictures ... w/ close ups!
LOL !! Right, DreamStalker!!

Reminds me of a Rabid animal, frothing at the mouth!

So, NOW I have to add a camera to my overloaded nightstand, eh? .

I can only say: "You'll be sorrrrrrrrrryy" ha ha.

gasp

Oracle - rainout?

Post by gasp » Fri May 11, 2007 10:48 am

Does anyone using the Oracle experience rainout? Does anyone use a humidifier with the Oracle HC452?