New user getting little rest

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.

New user getting little rest

Post by Guest » Thu Oct 26, 2006 11:13 am

I’ve been using a cpap machine for almost 3 weeks and I am having trouble getting used to it. After reading a lot of the posts I feel lucky that I haven’t had problems with my mask after the first night. I was waking up when the pressure would increase on the machine and it would blow water into my nose. It has now been reset to stay on 6 and the water temp was lowered to reduce the condensation. All the problems with the mechanics of the machine have been resolved however I do not sleep well when using the cpap. I’m not even sure how to phrase a question.

I wasn’t consciously having difficulty sleeping before the sleep study. It was suggested by my new GP because he says the shape of my mouth and throat indicated potential problems. The results of the sleep study showed a “mild” obstructive apnea problem, only when I sleep on my back…which I don’t do naturally. As part of the sleep study they asked if I dropped off to sleep at inappropriate times, took naps during the day, went to sleep before bedtime, experienced a loss of libido, was cranky, etc. I answered “no” to all of these questions during the study however now that I’ve been on the cpap machine for 3 weeks my answer is “yes” to all of the above. I’m so tired that I cry nearly every day just from exhaustion. I can’t keep up even the minimum routine much less do anything I enjoy. I feel like I sleep some during the night but it’s not a restful sleep. I wake up every time I roll over. Most of the time I don’t have to move the hose or reposition the mask but I wake up anyway. I wake up every night at 2:30 and then every hour thereafter. I understand this is the time most people experience REM sleep so the timing isn’t helping.

I had some doubts initially about the need for a machine since it is a mild problem that only occurred when sleeping on my back which I don’t do naturally…now that I’m so tired I’m really having doubts. The doc never talked to me about health risks and I have a list of questions for her when I go back in 2 weeks. I feel so much worse than I did before I started using the cpap that I’m having a hard time staying motivated. Is this inability to sleep something that is normal? Will it go away? Is there something I can do to speed up that process?

Goofproof

Post by Goofproof » Thu Oct 26, 2006 12:12 pm

You need to join, list your equiptment in your profile, with your equiptment settings, and if possiable, use the software to see what your treatment is doing. From your post it's not doing well. a sleep aid might be useful for a short while, I don't believe drugs are the answer, just a way to mask our problems. Jim
Use data to optimize your xPAP treatment!

"The art of medicine consists in amusing the patient while nature cures the disease." Voltaire

mikemoran

Post by mikemoran » Thu Oct 26, 2006 12:28 pm

You are lucky that you solved all major interface problems. Even with that said, CPAP is still something you have to get used to. Small things like the noise of the machine, straps around your haed and the slight tugging when you move contribute to sleep disruption.

Only you and your Doctor can determine how much Apnea has effected you. So its a good thing you will have a chance to discuss it with your Doctor. For a lot of us we have been coping with apnea for years. Mostly by accomodation. Since we have been getting such little good rest, we are used to much less sleep than the next guy. That is why we often find ourselves waking up after only a few hours sleep. In those few hours we got as much rest as we did during eight hours pre-CPAP.

Over time we learn to ignore the minor irritations and sleep longer. The timing differs for us all. Even after being on it for over a year I sometimes find myself waking at 2:00. Not often but it still happens. Some take to it right away and it does seem like an over night cure. From the postings on the board this is the exception, not the rule. Many start out more tired and that is why there is such a problem with compliance.

You are doing the right things, talking with your Doctor and sticking with it. If you have equipment that monitors you, you might find that you really have apnea in all positions. The sleep sudies are good indicators, but one night of sleep in an unfamiliar and often uncomfortable environment doesn't always give the true story.

Good luck.

Wulfman

Post by Wulfman » Thu Oct 26, 2006 12:38 pm

If I understand you, your pressure has been set to 6 cm. Was that an increase or decrease?
That sounds very low to me and, depending on the circumstances, may not be enough pressure to prevent your apneas and hypopneas from occurring.
Goofproof is right......we need to know more about your equipment and how it's set up before we can make many comments.

Your "progress" (or lack thereof) at this stage of your therapy is not necessarily unusual. Many people experience worse feelings before their therapy takes hold. Everyone's different.

Have you checked out the "lightbulb" (up above the forum)?

Best wishes,

Den
(5) REMstar Autos w/C-Flex & (6) REMstar Pro 2 CPAPs w/C-Flex - Pressure Setting = 14 cm.
"Passover" Humidification - ResMed Ultra Mirage FF - Encore Pro w/Card Reader & MyEncore software - Chiroflow pillow
User since 05/14/05

Abbey

Post by Abbey » Thu Oct 26, 2006 2:33 pm

I've registered and listed the equipment I am using. In response to: "If I understand you, your pressure has been set to 6 cm. Was that an increase or decrease?
That sounds very low to me and, depending on the circumstances, may not be enough pressure to prevent your apneas and hypopneas from occurring."

The pressure was originally set to adjust between 6-14. They reset it to 6 because I woke up everytime it adjusted. I had another sleep study last weekend that should tell the doctor the optimal pressure to use.

I've read everything under the light bulb above. It sounds like I just won't be getting any rest for a while. I do appreciate your responses.

CandaceN

Post by CandaceN » Thu Oct 26, 2006 3:15 pm

Hang in there, Abbey. It takes a while to adjust to having air blowing in your nose and keeping your mouth shut (that was the hardest part for me) because if you snore, of course you are breathing through your mouth at night. One tip I have for you is to try to position the hose from your mask to the machine underneath a small pillow or looped around a bed post so that it doesn't slip out of place. You may also try different positions while laying down (I have to sleep on my side). Think positive thoughts. Eventually, when you are finally getting a good night's sleep, you will associate sleep with the sound of the machine. Hope this helps.

curtcurt46

Post by curtcurt46 » Thu Oct 26, 2006 3:35 pm

I to was much like you at the beginning. Everything woke me up. It took time for me to get accustomed to the therapy. Now I don't even realize the pressure.
There is one thing for sure about OSA, it will only get worse the older we get. Treatment is really our only good option. Even mid OSA has many health risks associated with not getting treatment. I am sure you will be asking your doctor about these.
Most of all, I want to encourage you to stick with the treatment, because you will benefit in the long run. Educating yourself and using the support found on this forum will take you a long way down the road to success.
It will get easier and you will again sleep very well. You can do it.
curtcurt46

kavanaugh1950

Post by kavanaugh1950 » Fri Oct 27, 2006 1:48 pm

hi abbey, I too had trouble in the beginning. now i cannot wait to go to bed. the sound of breathing my machine makes used to keep me awake but now i find it very soothing. i still wake up during the night or early in the morning but much less so now. i use time released melatonin and it helps. good luck and hang in there. pat