Nosebleeds from hell (and high BP)

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
LDuyer

Nosebleeds from hell (and high BP)

Post by LDuyer » Tue May 10, 2005 1:04 pm

I'm venting, OK?
So let me vent!!

I'm not one to experience nosebleeds. And on the rare occasion, it's usually no big deal.

But today.....holy quacamole!
A nosebleed blowout this morning while in the shower, covering me in a mess that made me think of that famous movie with the shower scene. Then, later at work, yet another nosebleed blowout, with blood gushing so bad from my nose with much more of it dripping down into my throat choking me, that I wondered if I needed a transfusion! Then a third major gush, and off to the doctor I went. I felt plenty foolish going to the doctor for something like this. And of course, the bleeding stopped just in time to embarrass me at the doctor's office.

But the doc said, "Did you know that high blood pressure can lead to nosebleeds?" And sure enough, my blood pressure was much higher than normal ...... well, normal for when you're good at taking your high BP medication. She said, "Having a nosebleed during high blood pressure is actually a good thing, otherwise you'd be having a stroke."

Well...! You don't have to warn me ever again!!
I WILL be good. I WILL be good. I WILL be good! I promise!

Have a nice day....

Linda

Nenetx2004

Post by Nenetx2004 » Tue May 10, 2005 1:14 pm

Linda,

Do you mean to tell me that you've been prescribed blood pressure medicine and you weren't taking it?

If that's the case, then Linda, Linda, Linda......as one of the bigger proponents of cpap compliance and following your doctor's orders, you should know better!

But in all seriousness, I'm glad you're okay and that they were able to pinpoint the cause.

Jeanne

rock and roll

Post by rock and roll » Tue May 10, 2005 3:20 pm

Hey girl,

I suffer with these bleeds off and on too, I find that using saline drops help them tgo heal and keep them at bay as well as using topicals that keep the nasal passages moist. Keep the blood pressure at bay with your medicines dear

LDuyer

Post by LDuyer » Tue May 10, 2005 3:41 pm

Yes, folks, I will do better. Just because I preach a good line doesn't mean I always follow my own advice. Ha! Why else would I be lurking on this forum still? I need the great support from you folks!

Oh, the doc recommended using neosporin inside the nose where the bleeder is to help it heal.

[Jeanne, I need you around to keep me in line! Thanks!]

[And hey, Rock ..... thanks for the "Hey girl." That sure makes me feel terrific!]

Linda

JimH

Post by JimH » Tue May 10, 2005 9:38 pm

Linda,

Thanks for the info. I will have to keep that in mind. Blood pressure is a serious thing and medicines should be taken. Though every morning as i am taking them I think to myself, do I really need them. Thanks for the reminder!!!

unclebob

Post by unclebob » Tue May 10, 2005 9:52 pm

Hi Linda,

I'm not on blood thinners, do take HBP medication as well as prevacid, heart medication and other stuff. Take all these prescribed pills faithfully -ain't insurance grand!

Like R&R, I get bleeds every now and again but not too bad. However, I did go through a period not long ago before Xpap that it was very annoying. Happened every day and could just be sitting there and like the dam burst. Lasted a few months.

Finally it just kind of stopped and never figured out why it happened. I do have a few drinks on weekends and sometimes take aspirin but I don't think that's it. Did have a bad bout of internal bleeding tracked down to possible Barrett's - nasty little ulcers in the esophagus. Also seem susceptible to any flu bug especially with three grandkids always juggling them and coughing at me.

Advice is - don't fool around with meds, take em as prescribed. Then, sit a little further back. You've got your nose too damn close to the computer screen and you're probably banging into it without knowing on your way to 1000.

All bleeding stops after 1000, just ask Muck! So you could be OK soon.

All the best.

Bob F
unclebob

CI_SeaWolf

Post by CI_SeaWolf » Tue May 10, 2005 9:55 pm

Linda, Don't scare me like that! A stroke is what I'm scared TO DEATH of...And I play with lethal stuff every day. I used to get nosebleeds all the time as a kid and a teenager. My nose would dry out inside. The neosporin is a good idea, mom used to make me use good ol' Vaseline....yuck. Are you sure that your humidifier is working properly? My latest phenomena is that I'm getting very irratable... I'm starting to get some full nights of sleep, I'm walking briskly with my wife and doggies for a half hour to 45 minutes in the evening, but my attitude is not real good. i'm having a tendency to get very wound up and fly off the handle pretty easily. I'm wondering if the Flonase(A steroid) could be causing me to feel more agressive...? It feels good to get that off my chest....Anyways, Please take care of yourself, it is so nice to read your posts and I hope to read them for a long time.

rock and roll

Post by rock and roll » Tue May 10, 2005 9:57 pm

LOL Uncle Bob, I think you hit the nail on the head! Sage advise LDuyer!

LDuyer

Post by LDuyer » Wed May 11, 2005 2:30 am

Gosh, I wasn't expecting such interesting and nice responses after my vent. Now I know why I stick around this forum so much, everyone is so nice, and interesting.

Funny, I woke up this morning remembering what the doc said about how I should have felt grateful for the nosebleeds because I could have had a stroke instead. In the shower, I found myself almost hoping for a nosebleed!! ..... Fuzzy logic. .......

I promise to take my meds, I promise to take my meds, I promise to take my meds. ........ darn drug companies, I still think it's a plot ........

Sea Wolf ---- I'd be interested to know if you find your mood changing when stopping the flonase. I don't use that, but I hate any medication (apparently so, huh?), so I'd be interested in knowing if it might be true.

UncleBob, Jim, Sea Wolf, Jeanne, R&R -- and all of you -- you make me smile.

Linda,
who is taking UncleBob's advice to heart and backing away from the computer screen --- you nut!

Mary

take the meds

Post by Mary » Wed May 11, 2005 8:30 pm

we need your input here so take care of yourself

Now I lay me down to sleep !!!!!

LDuyer

Re: take the meds

Post by LDuyer » Wed May 11, 2005 8:46 pm

Mary wrote:we need your input here so take care of yourself
That's mighty nice of you.

And I have been taking my blood pressure medicine since the doc.
But something's wrong. My BP spiked again today, even higher, yet I was taking medication. It alarmed me so much, I've called the doc. (The original "doc" was really a nurse practicioner, so this time I called the regular doc.) I'm feeling a little nervous right now, a little scared, actually. I shouldn't be admitting this here.

CI_SeaWolf

Post by CI_SeaWolf » Wed May 11, 2005 9:35 pm

Linda, it is ok for you to admit you are scared! I'm hoping your MD can get a handle on the problem. I don't know why I've been getting so aggresive lately, maybe I'm having male pms.... I tried a different approach today, just relax and not take the lead. It can be hard to do, I find that I am very critical of others and myself. i'm going to work very hard not to be that way, at least to other people. I know that this isn't group therapy, but I had to let that out. I'm finding that I'm getting a little more energy and last night, I slept all the way until the alarm went off! Thanks for reading and sharing, I'm hoping that you'll get the BP where it is supposed to be.

bpoe689

nose bleeds

Post by bpoe689 » Wed May 11, 2005 10:56 pm

Dear Linda - Please take your meds. Also, you may want to watch your salt intake. My late husband had high bp from kidney disease. The drs. harped constantly about his intake of salt. Just a suggestion. Hope you do better.

Becky, talk to us anytime you need a sholder.
I just had my first night of sleep study. My questions is, when I have the gastric bypass surgery and lose weight, will I still have to wear this equipment? I have not received all results, but oxygen level did go down to 76. That they did not like.

LDuyer

Post by LDuyer » Thu May 12, 2005 2:16 am

CI_SeaWolf wrote:Linda, it is ok for you to admit you are scared! I'm hoping your MD can get a handle on the problem. I don't know why I've been getting so aggresive lately, maybe I'm having male pms.... I tried a different approach today, just relax and not take the lead. It can be hard to do, I find that I am very critical of others and myself. i'm going to work very hard not to be that way, at least to other people. I know that this isn't group therapy, but I had to let that out. I'm finding that I'm getting a little more energy and last night, I slept all the way until the alarm went off! Thanks for reading and sharing, I'm hoping that you'll get the BP where it is supposed to be.
Male PMS. Oh now there's a thought! ..... Sorry, but I sure got a chuckle over that!

Interesting about being critical. We've discussed this before, about emotions being all over the place. It may not be exactly like what you're experiencing, but maybe similar. Maybe it's heightened awareness, for me. I hate what I hate more (i.e., my job), and I love what I love more. More happy, more sad, more fearful, more gutsy. So strange. I just wish I could feel more physically better. Glad to hear you're getting some more energy and sleep! That's great! You know, you might keep a log about how you feel, emotionally and physically, energy, etc. Only a thought.

Don't worry so much over how you're feeling. I figure there's a reason for it, it just may be something you need to get through. Just find some compassion for yourself. You obviously feel it for others. Be sure to reserve some for yourself.

Linda

LDuyer

Post by LDuyer » Fri May 13, 2005 1:19 pm

I think I'm becoming my grandmother.

And I don't like that one bit.

I visited the doc (actually nurse practitioner) again, and she basically scorned me and practically called me a hypochondriac.

She implied, strongly, that I must be overeacting and likely causing my own symptoms due to a kind of panic attack.

May be true. But darn it. You read about women and heart attacks and strokes, and how their symptoms are more subtle and sometimes different from those of men. The literature says women can have near-flu-like symptoms and really be having a heart attack. So with a history of heart problems in my family, and knowing with sleep apnea I might be in more of a risk, I feel it better to make sure than to find myself lying on the floor dead (er, rather, others finding me on the floor). If that makes me a hypochondriac, well, so be it.

Linda,
............venting