So glad I found you

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
abeardneglected

Re: So glad I found you

Post by abeardneglected » Sat Oct 10, 2020 1:34 pm

It's getting exciting around here! Slept about 3.5 hours last night with the full-face mask on. No major leaks, not many false centrals.
Oct 9.png
Oct 9.png (279.09 KiB) Viewed 977 times
I can't remember why I took it off from 1am - 4am other than a routine of removing it for part of the night so I can get at least a little sleep. I remember my nose itched like crazy a few times.

This is a huge improvement from even a few days ago. Thanks so much for your help! The collar arrived today and I'll try it out tonight.

mper!?

Post by mper!? » Sat Oct 10, 2020 3:51 pm

Hi,

_ good !

_ REM stages have been barrier for you to move through or sataying in them, provoking your main sleep interruptions. This happens with so many people;

_ let us see what happens with more mask adaptation and the role the collar is going to have, before next steps.

_ hope you are already on good sleep hygiene and sleeping on your sides;

good luck
Not a Doctor.
"The goal is to turn data into information, and information into insight (Carly Fiorina)".

abeardneglected

Post by abeardneglected » Wed Oct 14, 2020 3:12 pm

mper!? wrote:
Sun Oct 04, 2020 7:03 am
Airfit f20 + soft collar had a plus for me: educated me to better-quality-not mouth-breathing;
Can you share more info on how you got away from mouth-breathing? Things are going much better with the F20 + collar -- I'm consistently getting 4+ hours a night with the mask on. But I notice when I wake up that I have switched to mouth breathing.

mper!?

Post by mper!? » Thu Oct 15, 2020 5:55 am

abeardneglected wrote:
Wed Oct 14, 2020 3:12 pm
Can you share more info on how you got away from mouth-breathing? Things are going much better with the F20 + collar -- I'm consistently getting 4+ hours a night with the mask on. But I notice when I wake up that I have switched to mouth breathing.
Hi,
_ well, indeed, for a quite sometime now, I completely moved to non-mouth breathing with the airfit f20 + soft collar + tongue on mouth roof (just behind front teeth row. It was rather easy to get used to this tongue position.... you may google on this tongue position);

_Now, if you aske me, what is most important thing out of these 3 ? not exactly sure, but I did already many tests, intentionally or not. At very beginning, I noticed FFM starts work on this (it pressed my lower lips upward/backward somewhat; no pressured air come from mouth as per nasal mask, etc). Late, when start using the collar; more improvments; when, for some reason I go without the collar, mouth breathing pretty much always back. Now, concerning the tongue, not sure at all, but became an habit;

_ hope you succeed. Some ENT say mouth breathing can downgrade a lot respiration quality (see for instance, Dr Steven Park's Sleep Interrupted, blogs, and videos);

all the best and good luck
Not a Doctor.
"The goal is to turn data into information, and information into insight (Carly Fiorina)".

abeardneglected

Post by abeardneglected » Thu Oct 15, 2020 9:31 am

Thanks. I came across the tongue at the roof of the mouth idea at some point recently. I'll have to practice that some more. I've been reading Breath by James Nestor and he can't stop talking about how good nose-breathing is and how bad mouth-breathing is for all sorts of reasons.

abeardneglected

Post by abeardneglected » Tue Nov 10, 2020 10:04 am

Well, I am no longer a CPAP user. After two months I was never able to get the false centrals under control and my all-time record was 2 hours of uninterrupted sleep. Next stop is a dental appliance.

I just want to thank you for your help! It was a crazy couple of months and you helped me make the best of it. Here's to sound sleep sometime soon!

mper!?

Post by mper!? » Wed Nov 11, 2020 7:45 am

Hi,
_ just because I was already trying to help you, I am going to post this. I had decided not keep posting here. And, also, I only post on things I am most familiar with (similar to mine) that is, UARS, RLS, CPAP to Autoset to BiPAP, closer look on under-explored OSCAR charts, medications to stabilize breathing, and so on.

_ It looks worth for you giving a try on dental appliance. I have no experience on this, yet I used to study a great deal on this issue (see, for instance, some Dr. Guilliminaut's videos on this issue https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DE2rHoq ... z&index=39). I would rather prefer not issue an opinion on this matter;

_ in the end, your case looks an untreated UARS in my modest opinion. And, I must say, after observations and follow ups on some one hundred cases, I have never seen yet a single one in which people succeeded on treating UARS properly with Autoset machines like yours, rather than BiPAP. That is, get flagged flow limitation down to absolute zero and see what always still remains (such things like ridiculous, unflagged abnormal flatted breathings, which leads you to arousal/awakenings), no intolerance to breath with the machine, and, then, decide what to do (usually involves some medication or, eventually, other techiniques, aiming at stabilizing breathing, ultimately battling arousal/awakenings, or at least, bring these latter to an acceptable non-stressfull levels);

_ in my case, for instance, luckly, I have succeeded on chasing my FL to the very last spike with the BiPAP, and after getting my tailored parameters after some 1 year of attempts and learnings. When I got at this point, life started getting better at some 80 to 90% level. These days, I keep myself trying to somehow increase my arousal threshod after those ridiculous unflagged flat topped FL, yet enough to arousal/awakening me up (with an intact nervous system, as Dr. Steven Park used to say). There are medication tha promptly to this, as per my experience. Finally, it might give you some insight by taking a look on this Webinar featuring Dr. Barry Krakow ant Dr. Robert J. Thomas: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Syv7YcH ... z&index=63

all the best for you and goo luck
Not a Doctor.

abeardneglected

Post by abeardneglected » Wed Nov 11, 2020 8:51 am

Thanks! I will definitely check this out.