weight gain with acute onset of sleep apnea symptoms?

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
blew away

weight gain with acute onset of sleep apnea symptoms?

Post by blew away » Tue Aug 22, 2006 7:36 pm

i've done a quick search of the forums and i don't know if i wasn't specific enough or if this hasn't come up.

my husband was diagnosed with osa earlier this year. i finally convinced him to go to the doc for a physical exam when he felt just awful and i swore to him that he was actually stopping his breathing in his sleep and it was keeping me up worried about him. another one of the things that got him to go to the doc was the fact that in the 2-3 months that the symptoms of osa were becoming worse and worse, he had gained something like 50-60 lbs. he's never been a big guy and works in a very physically demanding job (he's a mechanic) which has always kept him in great shape.

i was just curious if this was somehow correlated... if anyone else has experienced this as well.

now that the osa seems to be straightened out (knock on wood that this new full face mask continues to work) and we've switched to a very healthy- and calorie restricted for him- diet the weight is starting to go away.

i guess i just never would have thought that getting enough sleep and maintaining a healthy weight were in any way connected.

any comments would be appreciated

kteague

Weight gain with apnea

Post by kteague » Wed Aug 23, 2006 1:41 am

Hi. There have been numerous postings in this forum if you search on <sleep apnea weight gain>, all words, postings. One listed the reading below.

http://sleepdisorders.about.com/od/obes ... weight.htm

Julie

Weight gain & OSA

Post by Julie » Wed Aug 23, 2006 4:53 am

Hi, I find that even losing 5 lbs or so can make a difference!

blew away

Post by blew away » Wed Aug 23, 2006 10:55 pm

ahh, thank you for the tip. each forum software search engine i encounter seems to have some different quirk to it.

SleepyHibiscus

osa, weight gain

Post by SleepyHibiscus » Wed Aug 23, 2006 11:06 pm

I know my OSA makes me so sleepy I don't feel like exercising or eating right and I have gained weight. However, my Dr. says that losing even 5-10 lbs can make a difference in OSA patients. The problem is having the energy to lose weight. Hopefully after a few weeks on cpap we will have the energy needed to feel better.

Respironics REMstar CPAP Auto set 7-12, w/C-Flex on 2, REMstar Humidifier, EncorePro Software, MyEncore, Respironics Profile Lite Gel Nasal Mask. Average daily AHI: 2.1

still trying to adjust

weight gain and apnea

Post by still trying to adjust » Thu Aug 24, 2006 2:25 am

There is a definite correlation between sleep apnea and weight gain, with there being several causes. The first is that the metabolism is reduced with sleep apnea, thus reducing the chance for the body to burn the calories like it normally would. The second is that a tired person will usually not excert as much when they are dead tired, again reducing calorie burn. Another new study shows that when sleep is reduced, a hormone is produced that increases appetite. The sad thing is that with weight gain, the apneas become worse, thus increasing the weight gain, thus increasing the apneas, etc.......

techno-snoreus

Post by techno-snoreus » Fri Aug 25, 2006 10:10 am

I first began to exhibit symptoms of OSA in 1998. I would be so exhausted I would go to my car and take naps on lunch. As I became more tired, I began to gain more weight. I tried dieting and excercising, but it did no good. Excercising just made me even more worn out. My weight eventually ballooned to over 400 lbs.

I finally had a sleep study in Jan 05, and was diagnosed with severe OSA. I have been on CPAP therapy for 1 year and 8 months now. I have since lost about 30 lbs. and it has made a difference. I have a long way to go, but now I am not sleepy during the day and I am trying to get back into shape.

So I guess what I'm trying to say here is, Yes, OSA will make you gain weight.

caty

Post by caty » Fri Aug 25, 2006 11:15 am

Since being on xpap (June 2006) my appetite has been vociferous. I've gained 5 lbs! I asked my sleep doc about it. His comment was I am probably more active and my body is craving more food. I've also noticed my pressure go up during the last week or two - from about 8.8 to 10.4. I'm going to try to lose weight and see if that affects the pressure.
"The road to success is always under construction!"

dsm

Post by dsm » Fri Aug 25, 2006 5:13 pm

There is a vicious circle that operates on us poor xpapers...

- We start on cpap therapy and mostly see great improvement

- If we for any reason, slow our exercise, and put on weight the therapy usually declines (sometimes it can be the simple fact of going from summer to winter - winter weight gain)

- The more the therapy declines the less enthusiastic we feel about exercise & activity

Eventually some of us find a way to break the cycle & we get back on track & healthier & the therapy becomes more effective.

I am just at this phase for the 2nd time (breakout phase) having put on 10 lbs weight over winter months (here where I live).

Keep on top of your weight else it will eventually weigh you down

DSM

xPAP and Quattro std mask (plus a pad-a-cheek anti-leak strap)