Glad to hear people are feeling a change is it normal not to

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
ready2sleep

Glad to hear people are feeling a change is it normal not to

Post by ready2sleep » Wed Oct 11, 2006 6:22 pm

Im reading how some people feel great changes after their use of the machine. I am on it for 3 weeks now. Last night had my second titration. My original pressure was set at 8 I moved it to 10 because I felt like I was choking. The titration put me back at 8. No matter what my pressure is at I feel no different. How long does it take to feel any different? Im getting disappointed, I thought I would feel great after a few nights.

dsm

Post by dsm » Wed Oct 11, 2006 6:27 pm

Hi Ready2

Can you clarify the choking you are feeling ?.

What type / brand of mask are you using ?

What type / brand machine ?

Am sure we can help you but to get to this issue quickest it is best if we have more info. There are many suggestions I can think of but will wait until you add more detail

Good luck

DSM
xPAP and Quattro std mask (plus a pad-a-cheek anti-leak strap)

Offerocker

Post by Offerocker » Wed Oct 11, 2006 7:14 pm

Hello, Ready2!

More questions:
Are you a mouth breather (that you know?)
Any previous reports of you snoring?
In what position do you sleep?
By any chance, do you have Acid Reflux? (GERD)

Could be that you are not truly RELAXING as you breathe?

Do you have a heated humidifier; if so, maybe turned too high?

And what did you have for din-din? .

Answer all questions, you get a STAR, and 20 MORE questions !!

Respironics Auto C-Flex, HC-150, Activa, CL2 Simple Cushion, ComfortSleeve, Saline Snorter.

fujiinator

CPAP

Post by fujiinator » Wed Oct 11, 2006 7:41 pm

A lot of people here have talked about feeling great at first and then starting to feel tired again. The average time is around 1000 hours or six months. I am just at about six months and I have good days and bad days. The good days are increasing for me slowly. I just am going to keep at it because the alternative is not worth it (my family losing me earlier because I did not keep up treatment). The other reasons can be some of the things that others are asking you about.

birdshell

Post by birdshell » Wed Oct 11, 2006 9:17 pm

After reading about some of the immediate responses:

"The titration study night was the first time I'd slept so well in years," or

"After my first night, I no longer had the headache and I almost ran a whole marathon, I had so much energy!"

It certainly can be daunting to have VERY little seeming reaction.

The above never happened to me; it took at least a few weeks and more like a few months for me to notice a difference. My tag line below says it all:

Be kinder than necessary; everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle.

Click => Free Mammograms

seenas

Post by seenas » Wed Oct 11, 2006 10:58 pm

Hi,
I',m sorry that you are disappointed in your progress. I do believe each person responds differently to their therapy. There are so many variables involved in our progress i.e. do we have the right mask, does it fit properly, are we mouth breathing. Has our pressure been titrated correctly. Do we have the correct machine for our disability and how long have we been untreated with OSA. I have found that there are a lot of knowledgeable people at this site, who offer their experiences generously. My best advice is learn from them as I continue to do. The more we learn the better we can deal with our disability.
Good luck,
Seena

Post by Guest » Thu Oct 12, 2006 7:04 am

Been on a CPAP for five months and 1 week. Felt great initially, then kind of blah. My wife said that she noticed a difference immediately and still does (I was not as grumpy in the middle of the night if she woke me up and not as grumpy in the mornings). I am just now starting to feel like I am actually getting better sleep, although that feeling is elusive at times.

Snoozin' Bluezzz

Post by Snoozin' Bluezzz » Thu Oct 12, 2006 8:14 am

Speaking from my own experience it might be possible that for you OSA took mental precedence or masked other health issues as well. As I struggled with knowledge of my OSA and becoming strictly compliant it was easy to attribute physical discomfort and fatigue related to poor fitness, obesity and arthritis to my OSA. Once the OSA was being treated these problems have insisted on their time in the sun too. OSA did not necessarily create these other problems but it certainly did not help in dealing with them either.

I am confident that my OSA is being treated properly but these other health issues continue to interfere with my sleep and my well being and require the same attention and effort, if not a great deal more, that my OSA does.

Good Luck

David
Only go straight, don't know.

whatrdreamsmadeof

soooooooooo right!

Post by whatrdreamsmadeof » Thu Oct 12, 2006 8:53 am

DAVID YOU HAVE HIT THE NAIL ON THE HEAD........HOW EASY IT IS TO BLAME EVERYTHING THAT'S BEEN GOING ON IN OUR LIVES ON OSA.... I'VE BEEN AT THIS FOR MONTHS AND BEFORE I LOOKED AT IT FROM YOUR PERSPECTIVE....I WAS READY TO CHUCK IT ALL AND BLAME THE CPAP STUFF.........YOU ARE RIGHT ON AND THANKS SO MUCH FOR YOUR POST IT IS POSITIVE AFFIRMATION FOR ME...........

ready2sleep

Post by ready2sleep » Thu Oct 12, 2006 9:39 am

I didnt mean to make it sound like I was blaming OSA for everything. All I was saying was that I wasnt necessarily feeling better on it after being so compliant. I was just disappointed and sounding off. Im not obese but do have other health issues, and you are probably right, I dont seem to be spending as much time, or being as compliant with the rest of the problems as I should. Thanks for pointing that out.

birdshell

Post by birdshell » Thu Oct 12, 2006 3:22 pm

Yes, that was an excellent point made by Snoozin' Bluezzz. Hey, I just realized that the 3 Z's are there to suggest sleep!

In my case, though, it seemed as if almost everything ELSE had been addressed and then the next issue was: will a sleep study show anything?

Maybe every time one thing is cared for, then another pops into more importance than it formerly had had. It just depends which is acting as a more dominant problem to be solved.
Be kinder than necessary; everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle.

Click => Free Mammograms