How long does it take to see results?

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
etaylor

How long does it take to see results?

Post by etaylor » Wed Sep 20, 2006 5:40 pm

I am a new cpap user and after trying several masks I finally found one that works. My question is how long does it take to see results. I have been using the cpap for about a month now and I dont feel any different.My settings start at 4 and go to 8.I wish I felt like some of you guys.

cflame1

Post by cflame1 » Wed Sep 20, 2006 5:44 pm

Try filling in your profile and somebody may have some sage advice for you. Mask and Machine and what the PSG showed and cflex/epr or not and humidifier or not.

bdp522

Post by bdp522 » Wed Sep 20, 2006 6:18 pm

As cflame1 said, you need to give the info on your equipment so someone can help you. One BIG thing to remember...everyone is different. What works for some doesn't work for others. You will get all the help you need here, just don't give up! It can take a long time to feel better but keep asking questions and the wonderful people here will keep giving you answers.

Brenda

KimberlyinMN

Post by KimberlyinMN » Wed Sep 20, 2006 7:37 pm

I got my equipment on a Friday and by the next Monday I was feeling WAY better. (I even got up at 5 a.m. to hit the fitness center.) My pressure is set at 11.

Do you have a follow-up visit scheduled at all? Maybe you could call your DME to discuss this? I don't know what an average "feel good" time period is for starting CPAP therapy.

Kimberly

lvehko

Post by lvehko » Thu Sep 21, 2006 11:13 am

Today is my 100th day on CPAP, and it's only been in the last couple of weeks that I've started to feel some significant improvement. When I first started CPAP, I could tell I was sleeping better (once I got used to the mask, which took a couple of weeks), and I woke up feeling more rested, but I was still very tired and sleepy during the day. A couple of weeks ago I gave up caffeine, because I seem to have an opposite reaction to it (it makes me sleepy), and I just wanted to get everything that might be affecting my sleep out of the equation. Since then I've been feeling much better, and am a lot less tired and sleepy during the day. I don't know if the caffeine removal is responsible, it could be that I just happened to quit caffeine at the same time that my 'sleep debt' started to get paid off.

There are a lot of posts on this forum from people who took months to feel better -- apparently, the longer you've had apnea, the longer it takes to start feeling better after starting CPAP. I've seen it explained in terms of sleep debt -- if you haven't been sleeping well for years and years, you need a longer term of good sleep to 'pay back' that time. I've also read that sometimes people feel more tired at first after starting CPAP, because your body is finally getting good sleep and it wants MORE. If you're on CPAP for three months and still not feeling better, then you might want to consider eliminating caffeine and other stimulants and see how that works.

Also, if you're using a nasal mask, you may be leaking from your mouth, which will make the CPAP therapy ineffective. The other thing I found is, since my pressure is relatively low (8), I get better results without C-flex. I turned it off on my machine and I get a much lower AHI.

Min

amos

Post by amos » Thu Sep 21, 2006 12:11 pm

I have been on cpap for three nights. I would say that I am about 5-8% better. A little more energy, a little less sleepy, headaches have lessened. Got 6 hours of quality sleep last night.

rmwilliamsjr

Post by rmwilliamsjr » Thu Sep 21, 2006 2:59 pm

how long does it take to see results?

depends on the person, but don't get discouraged, it does work.
cpap is not snake oil as i unfortunately at first thought. it is a genuine "fix/cure".

i felt so much better with the mask on during the sleep test that i called my doctor within a few hours and asked if i could rent a machine until the insurance and sleep study results worked their way through the system. i realized that those few hours were the first time i'd dreamed in months.

i'm to the point now that i have sleep apnea in my email signature and tell anyone who expresses the fact that they wake up in the morning not rested my story. i know sleep apnea killed my sister in law and i am so aware of how badly that situation was handled that i'll look for opportunities to be sure it doesn't happen again.

i guess i'm just an evangelical hoser. *grin*

set at 16, ramp off, cflex on 3
i saw the doctor for depression.
the problems were sleep apnea, diabetes, high blood pressure and obesity. 3 fixed, 1 long term lifestyle change in process. growing old isn't for whimps, but it beats the alternative.