Face breaking out from mask and straps

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
lfranek

Face breaking out from mask and straps

Post by lfranek » Tue Sep 12, 2006 9:06 pm

Hi-tonight will be my 5th night using CPAP and my face is starting to break out-BAD! Has anyone else experienced this? Does it eventually clear up once your skin gets used to it? I know some of you probably think I'm crazy for being concerned about this and think there are certainly worse things.......Just want to know if I'm alone in this or is this just another hurdle to get over when starting out CPAP?
Thanks
Larissa

bsil

Post by bsil » Tue Sep 12, 2006 9:28 pm

Larissa- Have you tried rinsing out the mask and all its parts? Try swishing it around in a weak solution of baby shampoo and water, then rinse it out twice.Check the washing instructions that came with your mask.
Good Luck,
Barb

Maryb

Post by Maryb » Tue Sep 12, 2006 10:13 pm

it's a good idea washing everything out as the previous poster mentioned.
I had a similar problem but it turned out that my old neoprene allergy had reactivated.
So I had to create a barrier between the straps and my skin. PadACheeks worked well for this and for areas where PACs didn't cover, I bought some fleece at the fabric store and covered those areas with pieces of it.
So you may be allergic to the material in the straps. If so, try PACs.

Maryb

kurtchan

Post by kurtchan » Wed Sep 13, 2006 6:31 am

Larissa,

I, too, had problems with acne shortly after starting my CPAP therapy. I've been through four different masks now and, wherever each mask or headgear touches my face for any extended period, a few pimples would crop up.

The solution that seems to work best for me is:
1) Using a facial cleanser such as SeaBreeze right before bed
2) Daily wash and rinse of all mask parts
3) Bi-monthly wash and thorough rinse of the headgear

Unless you're having an allergic reaction to the mask or headgear material, this will probably do the trick. I also think that, as the weather cools down, you're less likely to sweat under the mask, which should also improve things.

Good luck!

Kurtchan

lfranek

Post by lfranek » Wed Sep 13, 2006 9:39 am

I do wash the mask every morning...Maybe baby shampoo would be better than normal dishwashing soap. I obviously have very sensitive skin-so I think I do need to wash the mask in something more gentler for your skin. Anyone have other suggestions for a gentle soap I can use? I dont think these are just simple pimples on my face-more like boils-big, red and very sore.
Thanks for any help
Larissa

Maryb

Post by Maryb » Wed Sep 13, 2006 10:42 am

that's what my allergy looks like.
Big red swollen welts and they itch.
Even if you don't think you are allergic, I would advise you to just cover up those straps with PadACheeks. The PadACheeks will prevent contact with your skin and make the whole set up more comfortable too.

Maryb

kurtchan

Post by kurtchan » Wed Sep 13, 2006 1:39 pm

Larissa,

I agree with Maryb -- it sounds like you're having an allergic reaction to something, not just irritation or acne.

In addition to covering the headgear, I would suggest changing from regular dishwashing soap to "Seventh Generation" dishwashing detergent. It is available in most grocery stores and Wal-Mart or Target-type stores and is fragrance free, moisturizer free and doesn't contain any anti-baterial agents -- exactly what the manufacturers suggest for cleaning your mask.

Hope this helps!

Kurtchan

bdp522

Post by bdp522 » Wed Sep 13, 2006 1:59 pm

I would suggest the PAD-A-CHEEKS also. I seem to be allergic to my headgear and the PACs I got have a 100% cotton cover. Solved the problem for me.

Brenda

lfranek

Post by lfranek » Wed Sep 13, 2006 8:24 pm

Well I went to my medical dr today and got a prescription for my face. He said it is definitely infected-didnt know if it was from the mask though. Then I went to the sleep lab and meet with the dr there. He was very surprised at my face, said he'd never seen anything like it and was certain it was an allergic reaction....so....I got a new mask-Breeze
I think this one will be great in that it doesnt touch my face at all other than the nose pillows and it will allow for more comfortable side/stomach sleeping. I really appreciate being able to ask questions here and will let you all know how things go....night #6.....
Larissa

kurtchan

Post by kurtchan » Thu Sep 14, 2006 6:38 am

Larissa,

Glad you were proactive and were able to get a prescription from the doctor. Hope it helps! Also, the new headgear will certainly be an improvement, although you may want to wash it -- or at least rinse it in clear water -- before you use if for the first time.

Please let us know how things go.

Kurtchan

Snoozin' Bluezzz

Post by Snoozin' Bluezzz » Thu Sep 14, 2006 8:06 am

I have rosacea and the various interfaces, even Headrest, can cause it to flare up regardless of what I do. I a have a prescription creme that keeps it under control when it flares up. This tends to be more of a problem for males so it may not have any relation to your problem.

David

Only go straight, don't know.